Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

There will be a flood of villain origin movies. They can be done cheap and make a profit or possibly a killing like Joker. Get ready for sympathetic villain origin movies without any special effects.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Despite some claiming that there is oversaturation of Joker and people are getting tired of seeing him this movie's success proves them wrong. Meanwhile Harley is pushed like no other character before. And since the prevailing theory is that Harley is now more popular than Joker I wonder how the Harley/BOP movie will do compared to Joker's movie?
    Probably won't even do half of Joker's box office. When the Joker trailer dropped it got tons of views. BOP? Not many compared to Joker.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    How Shazam did by the way?
    Not that great unfortunately, it made only 364 Million world wide.

I still think that they kind of screwed up with the release date, it was kind of Christmas Movie but they released it in April and right between Captain Marvel and Endgame.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Probably won't even do half of Joker's box office. When the Joker trailer dropped it got tons of views. BOP? Not many compared to Joker.
    Excuse me please, but what does BOP means?

I'm pretty sure OP question was about how DC (the comics) will react to the success of the Joker movie, not how WB will react.

It's hard to say for now, but seeing how Harley and Aquaman were affected (and WW to some extent). I think it's safe to assume that it would have some impact on how the writers are going to write the joker in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Excuse me please, but what does BOP means?
    Birds of Prey. Or in this case, the Harley movie with the Birds of Prey name sloppily tacked on to it.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Thank you.
    Why does I have an ominous feeling about Harley Quinn & Birds of Prey?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I just hope WB doesn't get the idea that audiences like dark movies and try to make all their comic book movies dark again like they did with Man of Steel after the success of the Dark Knight trilogy.
    We need movies like Shazam! and Aquaman too and I hope Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad are goofy and stupid.
    This is EXACTLY what WB will do.

As far as DC, they might think of making Arthur Fleck and alias or maybe even take some design cues from the movie for Joker (i.e. looking more like a clown)

Retired

I don't take any of the Joker aliases seriously. They all in some way refer back to the character and therefore can't be for real--they're jokes and puns. Arthur Fleck not only seems a meta refrerence to Ben Affleck (or Casey Affleck) but also A. Fleck--a fleck--is a small mark, which is what Arthur Fleck is in his world, a fleck, before he has his apotheosis. Jack Napier is clearly a play on jackanapes--also the Jack is a playing card. Joe Kerr is joker. Dr. J. Reko is an anagram for Dr. Joker. Melvin White refers to his white face and a melvin, a dweeb or a social outcast. Jack White likewise with the white face and the jackanapes. Oberon Sexton is a combination of the king of faeries and a gravedigger.

Based on past history, they'll get all excited, overreact and do something hasty and stupid. Put Joker sloppily into the new Batman movie, have Wonder Woman visit Gotham City in her new film or give Harley some lines referencing the events of the film.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

My hope is DC will just greenlight some one off elseworld type Joker stories or whatever. I liked that Joker OGN from a decade~ish ago, and White Knight was fun. If some versions take inspiration from the new movie, fun. As for the mainstream comics, meh, any change will be retconned or something later down the line probably. I don't see why we should worry about any of it.Buy what looks good, skip the rest.

Ah, I see they took the wrong message from it.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't take any of the Joker aliases seriously. They all in some way refer back to the character and therefore can't be for real--they're jokes and puns. Arthur Fleck not only seems a meta refrerence to Ben Affleck (or Casey Affleck) but also A. Fleck--a fleck--is a small mark, which is what Arthur Fleck is in his world, a fleck, before he has his apotheosis. Jack Napier is clearly a play on jackanapes--also the Jack is a playing card. Joe Kerr is joker. Dr. J. Reko is an anagram for Dr. Joker. Melvin White refers to his white face and a melvin, a dweeb or a social outcast. Jack White likewise with the white face and the jackanapes. Oberon Sexton is a combination of the king of faeries and a gravedigger.
    From what I have read Jack Napier was based on Jack Nicholson and a tribute to Alan Napier, the actor who played Alfred in the Batman 1966 TV series. In the Batwoman TV series it was revealed that Joker's true name is
    indeed Jack Napier. At least that is what his name is listed as on official documents.

BANNED

I wonder where Arthur Fleck will get mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    I wonder where Arthur Fleck will get mentioned.
    Titans?