Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default With the success of the Joker film in theaters: Just how will DC react to it ?

Given the rising success of the Joker film it makes me wonder how will DC react to this ? Will the Joker once again change to fit the successful film that is the Todd Phillips Joker ?

As fans of the Joker: What do you think of this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given the rising success of the Joker film it makes me wonder how will DC react to this ? Will the Joker once again change to fit the successful film that is the Todd Phillips Joker ?

As fans of the Joker: What do you think of this ?
    I just hope WB doesn't get the idea that audiences like dark movies and try to make all their comic book movies dark again like they did with Man of Steel after the success of the Dark Knight trilogy.
    We need movies like Shazam! and Aquaman too and I hope Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad are goofy and stupid.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

They're going to rush produce darker films, ideally focused on their villains and with smaller budgets. WB is only capable of the most surface level of analysis.

Amazing Member

Id say theyll react by making a sequel and probably rush it out. While I dont hate the dc movies they clearly suffered from being rushed to copy marvels formula.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Positively, it will open them up for standalone films not having to be tied to continuity.

Negatively, it will push them even further to avoid the more colorful comic book stuff and go dark realism

Kinda like how The Dark Knight makes them go with dark aesthetic for the Snyderverse

On the other hand, there's Wonder Woman and Aquaman who are popular, so I don't think they'll abandon comic book stuff and completely go dark. I guess it all depends on how much money they got from each and the sum of it.

How Shazam did by the way?

Astonishing Member

If you're talking about how much the comic-book character of Joker will change, well, I don't think he'll change that much honestly. At most, something like the Phoenix version of his backstory will be added to the annals of Joker origin stories. You might get some references to Joker blaming his insanity on his abusive mother. Maybe "Arthur Fleck" will start being used as a common Joker alias the way "Jack Napier" is. Maybe we'll have a story-arc with the Joker inspiring some kind of populist uprising.

In terms of how it affects DC Films - well, this film offers a solid alternative to the MCU formula. I can definitely see more standalone character-driven and R-rated films. Whether they will capture the magic of Joker or not is another matter entirely.

BANNED

Joker will start laughing uncontrollably while fighting, shitting and brushing his teeth.

I heard that in the case of one SEQUEL..

Todd Philips wants to make something like this film.. He wants to continue using Joaquin Joker not DC comics joker.

I am fine with that.. Use a different kind of Joker can ruin it.. Joaquin should continue his joker maybe with few changes(now that is the JOKER) to be successful again.
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-17-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Mighty Member

Despite some claiming that there is oversaturation of Joker and people are getting tired of seeing him this movie's success proves them wrong. Meanwhile Harley is pushed like no other character before. And since the prevailing theory is that Harley is now more popular than Joker I wonder how the Harley/BOP movie will do compared to Joker's movie? DC will look at audience reception for both movies and most likely plan future movies accordingly.

Retired

I wonder if they hadn't already committed to the Matt Reeves Batman, if the success of JOKER would have changed their plans for the Batman franchise.

I don't really want a sequel to what is a great stand alone movie. It asks so many questions that it's better for audiences to imagine the answers to. Any follow up would want to answers those questions, rather than leave them hanging. I'm hoping a sequel gets stuck in development hell like most DC movies.

But some kind of response to the movie's success is bound to appear in other DC treatments.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They're going to rush produce darker films, ideally focused on their villains and with smaller budgets. WB is only capable of the most surface level of analysis.
    And they will screw everything because they aren't able to understand that the harshness of Joker isn't the reason of Joker's success, but only the way to let the viewer live the inexorable descent of Arthur Fleck toward the madnes and why his only chance to redemption whas embrace that madness becoming Joker. In my humble opinion the only way to create another movie good like Joker is understand that a great movie needs a great plot, a great script and a great staff of professionals who put their talents at the service of the story; that is the secret at the base of movie like "Twelve angry men", "Guess who's coming to dinner", "The good, the bad and the ugly" or "Fight club". If they think (like I think) to repeat the success of Joker making movies harsh like Joker, because "this is what the audience wants", they will realize only an ugly movie after another.
    Last edited by Gotham citizen; 11-17-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    And they will screw everything because they aren't able to understand that the harshness of Joker isn't the reason of Joker's success, but only the way to let the viewer live the inexorable descent of Arthur Fleck toward the madnes and why his only chance to redemption whas embrace that madness becoming Joker. In my humble opinion the only way to create another movie good like Joker is understand that a great movie needs a great plot, a great script and a great staff of professionals who put their talents at the service of the story; that is the secret at the base of movie like "Twelve angry men", "Guess who's coming to dinner", "The good, the bad and the ugly" or "Fight club". If they think (like I think) to repeat the success of Joker making movies harsh like Joker, because "this is what the audience wants", they will realize only an ugly movie after another.
    WB has proven time and again that they don't know how to gauge success. They're going to get "dark and villains = profit" out of this and be done with it.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Exactly!
    That is why I wrote: «…they will screw everything because they aren't able to understand that the harshness of Joker isn't the reason of Joker's success…»

I still haven't seen Joker but from what I hear, it's pretty much done in a way that a sequel would kinda ruin it. It's a movie explaining how the Joker became the Joker and, from the sounds of things, it successfully did that. What else is there to tell? Not every movie needs a sequel just because the first one made bank.

As for it's affect on the DC movies as a whole, I'm down for the idea of it paving the way for more artsy standalone films. I just hope DC doesn't make the same mistakes they did when they brought on Zack Snyder, of all people, to try and both recreate Christopher Nolan's success, and compete with the MCU. That's how you get pathetic displays like fans begging people to see a bad movie six times so it can make a profit xD

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    What else is there to tell? Not every movie needs a sequel just because the first one made bank.
    This is why you're not an executive. The story to tell is how much money we can make, so do it better and faster for less money.

It really doesn't need a sequel. It's done. I'd argue it'd be stronger if stripped of its Bat elements but it wouldn't have made the money it did, so I can't fault WB for going that route.