Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Best and Worst Villains in Marvel Animation

Who are the best and worst villains in Marvel animation? Now you can define this any way you want, best adapted from the page to the screen, best improved from the comics, best original villain, etc and vice versa. Also, this can cover animated property that exists, TV shows or movies, going from the 1960s till now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Who are the best and worst villains in Marvel animation? Now you can define this any way you want, best adapted from the page to the screen, best improved from the comics, best original villain, etc and vice versa. Also, this can cover animated property that exists, TV shows or movies, going from the 1960s till now.
    Ultron from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was by far better than the movie one, IMO. It was a lot scarier, and I liked the tweak of its origins, that steered less away from comic book canon than the movie was.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

EMH Zemo was GOATed even though they just made Heinrich into Helmut because Robin Atkin Downes is a god.

Spectacular Spider-Man Green Goblin was hot fiyah and it also had the best Electro ever in anything.

Armored Adventures had a lot of great redesigns for villains that I wish the books would just take.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    best adapted from the page to the screen
    Sinister Six from Spectacular Spider-Man:

Quote Originally Posted by TheOverlord View Post
    best improved from the comics
    Shocker from Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends:

Quote Originally Posted by TheOverlord View Post
    best original villain
    Dark Aegis from Iron Man: The Animated Series (Season 2):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-16-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added more words.

Bad:
    Doctor Doom had no business being in the 80s Spider-Man cartoon. Why did they use him when Spidey has such a good rogues gallery of his own?
    The current Spider-Man cartoon's goblins aren't very faithful to the comics.
    The way 90s Spider-Man handled Morbius was just plain weird.

Good:
    The Beyonder was a good villain in both the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and in Avengers: Secret Wars.
    Doc Ock in the current Spider-Man cartoon had a decent arc recently.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bad:
    Doctor Doom had no business being in the 80s Spider-Man cartoon. Why did they use him when Spidey has such a good rogues gallery of his own?
    The way 90s Spider-Man handled Morbius was just plain weird.

Good:
    The Beyonder was a good villain in both the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and in Avengers: Secret Wars.
    Yeah, I'll admit the current Spider-Man cartoon handled the Superior Spider-Man arc and fallout somewhat better than the original comics did, especially since Otto didn't get to just die and not have to face the consequences of his actions before and after stealing (and returning) Peter's body. As for Beyonder in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, it was kind of funny that the end of Secret Wars and the Spider Wars finale revealed that he was just testing Spider-Man all along to see if Spider-Man had what it took to save reality itself, though having a peaceful planet savaged and exploited by villains from Earth to set up that test was still messed up, so maybe he would still qualify as a villain. Getting into Morbius, I blame the censors for not letting him drink blood like an actual vampire, but those suckers in the palms of his hands were pretty creepy, so at least the body horror aspect was maintained from the original comic. On the subject of Doom in the 1980s Spider-Man cartoon(s), well, Doom is supposed to be apex villain of the Marvel Universe, so why not pit him against Marvel's apex hero?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeah, the writers did the best they could with Morbius, but it was still weird. You're quite right that the Fox Kids censors are to blame.

I wonder, was Amazing Friends always planned to be season 2 of 80s Spider-Man even before the show started? If so, Doom's usage there is potentially a leftover... remember that Amazing Friends was meant to use Human Torch (who would legitimately count Doom as an enemy, him being a Fantastic Four villain), but his rights being tied up elsewhere meant they created Firestar instead.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    On the subject of Doom in the 1980s Spider-Man cartoon(s), well, Doom is supposed to be apex villain of the Marvel Universe, so why not pit him against Marvel's apex hero?
    Totally agree. Doom even appeared in the fifth issue of Amazing Spider-Man which was written by Lee/Ditko, so I don't think any precedence was broken.

Yeah, the writers did the best they could with Morbius, but it was still weird. You're quite right that the Fox Kids censors are to blame.

I wonder, was Amazing Friends always planned to be season 2 of 80s Spider-Man even before the show started? If so, Doom's usage there is potentially a leftover... remember that Amazing Friends was meant to use Human Torch (who would legitimately count Doom as an enemy, him being a Fantastic Four villain), but his rights being tied up elsewhere meant they created Firestar instead.
    Maybe you can help inform me, Digifiend. But is it true that the reason the Human Torch was replaced by Herbie the Robot in Jack Kirby's animated Fantastic Four was because the sponsors were afraid children would imitate Johnny?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Totally agree. Doom even appeared in the fifth issue of Amazing Spider-Man which was written by Lee/Ditko, so I don't think any precedence was broken.

Maybe you can help inform me, Digifiend. But is it true that the reason the Human Torch was replaced by Herbie the Robot in Jack Kirby's animated Fantastic Four was because the sponsors were afraid children would imitate Johnny?
    No, that's a myth. The rights to the Human Torch were tied up in a film project, so he wasn't available for the cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    No, that's a myth. The rights to the Human Torch were tied up in a film project, so he wasn't available for the cartoon.
    Thanks for the information, DigiCom. It's greatly appreciated.

Bad:The Beyonder was a good villain in both the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and in Avengers: Secret Wars.
    I'll give you the 90's show, but I didn't really like their take on Beyonder in Secret Wars. Felt like they turned him from a cosmic God to cosmic Iron Man, and I didn't really dig Steven Webber in the role.
    It at least wasn't as rushed as his other arcs on the show.

Astonishing Member

Bad:The current Spider-Man cartoon's goblins aren't very faithful to the comics.
    As a general matter of course, I feel the bold is not a bad thing, neither in and of itself nor in general. As far as the modern Spider-Man animated series go, for example, the shake ups have been consistently providing my favoite things about these shows.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 11-21-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Bad:
    My biggest problem with them is they have such generic and clunky designs, and none of the personality and panache of the Green Goblin in other interpretations.

Worst: any Iron Man villain who isn't Obadiah Stane. Stark has to have the weakest rogue's gallery of any A-list hero.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Worst: any Iron Man villain who isn't Obadiah Stane. Stark has to have the weakest rogue's gallery of any A-list hero.
    I actually liked the Armored Adventures take on the Mandarin, and the redesigns for the rest of the rogues were pretty cool as well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.