Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Wonder Woman Mission

I have come to the conclusion that the great divergent point of the wonder woman fanbase is the nature of her mission

Is she a ambassador of paradise armed with lasso and bracelets here to help us achieve peace and equality?

Is she a mythic warrior of an ancient civilization under the eyes of the gods wielding a sword and shield that has come to deal with magic threats and learn from us?

The former can sound preachy and innefective and the latter removes all her uniqueness to turn her into another thor,hercules,etc

In your opinion,who is the ideal wonder woman?

(English is not my first language)
    Last edited by Access; 11-16-2019 at 03:11 PM.

A decent mixture of both. Though I'd say Diana shouldn't be the only ambassador.

Also your English is very good.

Agreed . It's should (it could!) be a mix of both. Any competent writer could mine these different facets of her mythos to tell some compelling stories. Sadly, those writers are few and far between, so we end up with two extremes: Diana, the naive & hapless dupe who trusts too blindly and constantly needs saving or, Diana, the hot-headed, battle craved warrior queen that hacks and slashes her way to a resolution.

Definitely a mix. But, I really like Diana fighting crime and seeing her in action!

Spectacular Member

I don't know.The azarello controversy made me doubt that we can have the two options in harmony,especialy taking in consideration their ramifications,like the status of the amazons

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    I don't know.The azarello controversy made me doubt that we can have the two options in harmony,especialy taking in consideration their ramifications,like the status of the amazons
    Well the solution there is pretty simple - don't follow the Azzarello version.

Spectacular Member

The problem is that he made the divine warrior angle popular and people who like this side of diana aproved his changes even if they are detrimental to the message of the character,like turning the amazon culture from the source of her powers and ethics to something that she has to surpass to grow as a hero,the sword and shield becoming her primary tools and killing being a aceptable option instead of a sometimes necessary sacrifice

The problem is that he made the divine warrior angle popular and people who like this side of diana aproved his changes even if they are detrimental to the message of the character,like turning the amazon culture from the source of her powers and ethics to something that she has to surpass to grow as a hero,the sword and shield becoming her primary tools and killing being a aceptable option instead of a sometimes necessary sacrifice
    I wouldn't say Azzarello made the divine warrior angle popular. It's been popular since Perez who balanced it with the ambassador role.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Amazing Member

I have come to the conclusion that the great divergent point of the wonder woman fanbase is the nature of her mission

Is she a ambassador of paradise armed with lasso and bracelets here to help us achieve peace and equality?

Is she a mythic warrior of an ancient civilization under the eyes of the gods wielding a sword and shield that has come to deal with magic threats and learn from us?
    Pérez balanced both, so DC should hire him to write diana again.

By the way,
    WW has nothing to learn from us

BANNED

It’s both, and they should be two sides of the same coin. Human enlightenment should result in the increased marginalization of the gods’ power and influence. She should be protecting humanity from that influence and power while she’s leading the world out of the superstitious dark.

I don't think it's clear what she's doing, after World War II. Is she protecting mankind from Greek gods and big monsters, now?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

All-New Member

i was reading on a website about Wonder Woman 2, i am super excited.
    Last edited by anoj190617; 03-20-2020 at 06:24 AM.

A huge problem is that very few writers have managed to write—or even attempted to write—an ambassador-style Wonder Woman.

The closest attempt—and I use that word judiciously—in recent times was Grant Morrison in Earth One volume 2: He failed at making Diana into a good ambassador, and made Themyscira into the place that needed to be taught and improved.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Creating a natural enemy for Wonder Woman hinges on defining her purpose, as a superhero.

If she's just a superhuman living among us, hanging out, until a giant turtle attacks New York - then, beats up the turtle and waits for the next problem...fine. It's very hard to create an archenemy for such a hero, though. A comic book archenemy, by design and narrative, is uniquely positioned to hurt or destroy what is important to the superhero, who is equally well suited to deprive the archenemy of what it wants most. Without that cyclical enmity, Wonder Woman and her rogues, being so broad and unfocused, ..don't have that.

Even in JLD's " Witching War", its so unclear exactly what threat Circe is to her protection of Earth, that it lacks impact. We can assume that whatever Circes companions intend for us will be major ugly, but it's not enough. Will she turn us into cheese...herself into a giant mouse? What is the threat?

Among Wonder Woman's rogues, the archenemy continues to elude us.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-21-2020 at 01:30 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

A mythic warrior and ambassador of paradise armed with lasso and bracelets that has come to deal with magic threats and to help us achieve peace and equality.

She left Themyscira to defend us from evil. She stays here to help us achieve peace. She is a warrior, but will always seek the peaceful solution first.