Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lightning powers (and godly powers in general)

So, yeah. In the movies, she has lighting redirection and that shockwave thing. In the New 52, she came up with God of War powers like Silver Age Superman came up with super-anything powers.

How do people around here feel about lightning/godly powers in addition to her usual set?

I mean the lighting powers have been off and on in Wonder Woman's powerset.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-07-2019 at 08:09 PM.

I don't mind lightning powers or some sort of Super Saiyan god-mode. I just don't like the implication that she only has such powers because of who her daddy is.

I dunno. I feel like giving her the typical "lightning" powers would be a little overdone. We've got plenty of people who control electricity/lightning and call it outta the sky and all that. It feels like a upgrade Diana doesn't really require, since she's probably the deadliest superhuman alive already and it's not a terribly original visual either (damn cool but nothing we dont see each month in other books).

But I wouldn't be against it if it were done right. I was thinking, why not add one of Zeus' lightning bolts to Diana's arsenal? That's a stupid easy way to add the power, and it's slightly different from the Shazams and Black Lightnings and Storms out there. It *is* a little Thor-ish, but.....could be cool.

And I think Zeus has to be directly involved in Diana's creation to justify it. Either as her father or just as one of the several gods who brought her to life, if Diana's going to throw lightning she needs a little Zeus in her. Of course, if you give her a god's power it should likely be one of the female ones.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno. I feel like giving her the typical "lightning" powers would be a little overdone. We've got plenty of people who control electricity/lightning and call it outta the sky and all that. It feels like a upgrade Diana doesn't really require, since she's probably the deadliest superhuman alive already and it's not a terribly original visual either (damn cool but nothing we dont see each month in other books).

But I wouldn't be against it if it were done right. I was thinking, why not add one of Zeus' lightning bolts to Diana's arsenal? That's a stupid easy way to add the power, and it's slightly different from the Shazams and Black Lightnings and Storms out there. It *is* a little Thor-ish, but.....could be cool.

And I think Zeus has to be directly involved in Diana's creation to justify it. Either as her father or just as one of the several gods who brought her to life, if Diana's going to throw lightning she needs a little Zeus in her. Of course, if you give her a god's power it should likely be one of the female ones.
    What happened to the lightning bolt she carried around in Justice League? Where did it come from and where did it go?

di.jpg

di JUSTL_1_2-3.jpg

Against - but I'm on record as not wanting powerups for really any heroes (I find they limit the type of stories). She already has amazing powers, and doesn't need more. I'm particularly against using the term like "godlike" because I don't like being reminded of Zeus'-kid background, and lighting is worse, being a Zeus thing. And I want all the other Amazons to have the same powers she does, and don't want them to have that power.

I'm not against it in principle, but I'd much rather see the stories exploring and use her gifts from Aphrodite, Hestia, Artemis, and Athena.

That said, there are differences in degree here. Her swinging between lightning bolts with her lasso as in the teaser trailer gives a strong physical component to her flight (which arguably is an issue with depicting flight for many superheroes in movies: it's hard to get dramatic) and is seriously cool. It also builds on the mythology of the lasso. Likewise I have nothing against her harnessing lightning when used against her.

But I don't really see her calling lightning by herself.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not against it in principle, but I'd much rather see the stories exploring and use her gifts from Aphrodite, Hestia, Artemis, and Athena.

That said, there are differences in degree here. Her swinging between lightning bolts with her lasso as in the teaser trailer gives a strong physical component to her flight (which arguably is an issue with depicting flight for many superheroes in movies: it's hard to get dramatic) and is seriously cool. It also builds on the mythology of the lasso. Likewise I have nothing against her harnessing lightning when used against her.

But I don't really see her calling lightning by herself.
    If she can't summon storms, she'd have to use the jet or fly normally whenever it's sunny. Or maybe she can swing on clouds too, Zeus was god of clouds also.

All the gods are die in the movie. When she clashes her bracelets together she can summon lighting and shockwaves in some cases.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-08-2019 at 02:43 PM.

It does occur to me that godly lighting is already the domain of Thor and Shazam. Just noting, not saying Diana can't have it also.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 12-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    What happened to the lightning bolt she carried around in Justice League? Where did it come from and where did it go?
    You know what, I have no idea. I forgot all about that.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It does occur to me that godly lighting is already the domain of Thor and Shazam. Just noting, not saying Diana can't have it also.
    That's what I'm saying. And how many other characters do the same thing, but without the "godly" descriptor? Black Lightning, Static, friggin Electrocutioner!

But Diana having one of Zeus' lightning bolts (like a spear she can use and throw) or being able to grab onto lightning (like in that super badass trailer for WW84) I wouldn't be against. I've talked before about wanting to overhaul Diana's powers, bringer her physical stats back down to Golden Age-ish levels, bringing back the "ride air currents" thing instead of full-force flight, wanting to see her have a little more "divinity" in her abilities, like being able to open portals to Olympus......so I guess I can't say that lightning powers is something I don't want *at all* but I don't need to see her use the power the same way every other lightning/electricity user in comics does.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

She's already plenty strong and most of her enemies she can defeat without them, so I rather save it for special occasions, like special gifts or blessed artifacts of the gods kinda thing against final bosses, but not a regular arsenal.

No. Diana has the shockwave from clashing her bracelets together, for offensive attacks. The energy, created by these remnants of Zeus's shield, is likely the most powerful force field on Earth. She doesn't need to be Black Lightning ..or Wonder-Storm.

Yes, for Prince Jason...no shooting lightning for Diana.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-09-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Isn't that what has been referred to as the Aegis Effect from Diana using her bracers in uber defensive mode?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Isn't that what has been referred to as the Aegis Effect from Diana using her bracers in uber defensive mode?
    Yeah, she hasn't done the bracelet smash thing in comics that I can recall. Though they may have got the idea for it (an offensive attack) from Gail's bracelet lightning.

WWl2.jpg