Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It was not very subtext, it was very explicit that Tyrone was head over heels about Tandy, who only saw him as a friend and companion and necessity (they literally can't live without each other, the way their powers are linked). It actually annoyed me greatly because they kept it going for far too long which really hurt Cloak's character. I was always like, sheesh, either make them a couple or have Cloak get over his crush.
    I am not up-to-date with the latest developments, most recent I have read is the Spider-Island (2014) miniseries, where it is made very clear that Cloak & Dagger are not a couple. I think the TV show portrayed them as a couple?

It was bit more than that, Spider-Man even listed her amongst the 'women of his life':
    Attachment 100977

And of course later on, it did get kinda sketchy:

Dagger was always described as exceptionally beautiful (even by superhero-world standards), with lots of guys being smitten about her or developing dangerous obsessions.
    With regards to the TV series, they weren't exactly a couple, but they were deeply bonded as a result of their circumstances and powers, and I'm willing to bet they would've become an actual couple if the series had lasted past two seasons and a guest-starring arc in Runaways on Hulu.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

It was not very subtext, it was very explicit that Tyrone was head over heels about Tandy, who only saw him as a friend and companion and necessity (they literally can't live without each other, the way their powers are linked). It actually annoyed me greatly because they kept it going for far too long which really hurt Cloak's character. I was always like, sheesh, either make them a couple or have Cloak get over his crush.
    I am not up-to-date with the latest developments, most recent I have read is the Spider-Island (2014) miniseries, where it is made very clear that Cloak & Dagger are not a couple. I think the TV show portrayed them as a couple? Dagger was always described as exceptionally beautiful (even by superhero-world standards), with lots of guys being smitten about her or developing dangerous obsessions.
    A shame that Dagger was not a reoccurring ally in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man. She would also be a good fit for Excalibur or X-Men in exchange for the use of Captain Britain and Nightcrawler...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    A shame that Dagger was not a reoccurring ally in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man. She would also be a good fit for Excalibur or X-Men in exchange for the use of Captain Britain and Nightcrawler...
    C&D seem to work best as visiting or recurring characters in other titles, yes. I'm a big fan of the duo but few of their own books have been any good. (Aforementioned Spider-Island was one of the few exceptions). By contrast, their visits in Spider-Man, Power-Pack, Runaways etc worked well. It was cool to see them associate with X-men too, but the problem there is enormous number of mutants, which makes it hard to justify adding two non-mutants to the cast. The tension they had with Spider-Man during Mantlo era was great and I would love to see it brought back in some capacity. Could see them working with Miles, too.

Astonishing Member

C&D seem to work best as visiting or recurring characters in other titles, yes. I'm a big fan of the duo but few of their own books have been any good. (Aforementioned Spider-Island was one of the few exceptions). By contrast, their visits in Spider-Man, Power-Pack, Runaways etc worked well. It was cool to see them associate with X-men too, but the problem there is enormous number of mutants, which makes it hard to justify adding two non-mutants to the cast. The tension they had with Spider-Man during Mantlo era was great and I would love to see it brought back in some capacity. Could see them working with Miles, too.
    It would be even more interesting if C&D worked alongside Spider-Woman, Julia Carpenter, and Betsy Braddock's Excalibur. C&D would best with characters who deals with cases involving the super natural. Aside from that, I would love to see Tigra become a reoccurring guest in Spider-Man due to her ties with the NYPD.

You're absolutely right, NC_Yankee. I even remember reading an issue of Darkhawk during the 90's, where Darkhawk had an angry team-up with Spidey. At the end, they parted ways in a rather terse manner.
    By round robin and new warriors darkhawk was fine with spidey. Darkhawk was a hothead in those early issues.

Considering their MO is watching out for missing kids, I'm amazed they never crossed over with Ms. Marvel, given the Inventor's MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Considering their MO is watching out for missing kids, I'm amazed they never crossed over with Ms. Marvel, given the Inventor's MO.
    Yeah seems like a no-brainer now when you mention it. I'm sure Kamala has written a ton of C&D fan fiction. Also their rather more ruthless stance would be a good contrast with Ms. Marvel.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    By round robin and new warriors darkhawk was fine with spidey. Darkhawk was a hothead in those early issues.
    Indeed, which is an interesting comparison point with Spidey, who was also a hothead in his early issues. It's kind of why I like to think of Peter's relationships with the next generation(s) of heroes as more along the lines of a big brother figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Yeah seems like a no-brainer now when you mention it. I'm sure Kamala has written a ton of C&D fan fiction. Also their rather more ruthless stance would be a good contrast with Ms. Marvel.
    That would be an interesting idea to run with.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed, which is an interesting comparison point with Spidey, who was also a hothead in his early issues. It's kind of why I like to think of Peter's relationships with the next generation(s) of heroes as more along the lines of a big brother figure.
    That reminds me of ClanDestine when he discourages two British runaways from becoming superheroes.

Amazing Member

Human Torch had a friend ship with Spiderman first it was a rivalry. They (MARVEL) Should DO More WITH THIS.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by son_ofgolem View Post
    Human Torch had a friend ship with Spiderman first it was a rivalry. They (MARVEL) Should DO More WITH THIS.
    Besides Johnny Storm, I would love to see The Beast and Spider-Man. This would be the perfect match up because they would be as close as brothers as they share the same love for science. Another friendship that began as a rivalry that should have led to a strong friendship is Spider-Man and The Black Widow, along with Spider-Man and Captain Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Thanks! Glad to know I wasn't wrong about Spidey EVENTUALLY becoming "buddies" with his team-up partners.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That reminds me of ClanDestine when he discourages two British runaways from becoming superheroes.
    OMG! Alan Davis is the best, and ClanDestine is an underrated treasure...

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-02-2020 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Besides Johnny Storm, I would love to see The Beast and Spider-Man. This would be the perfect match up because they would be as close as brothers as they share the same love for science. Another friendship that began as a rivalry that should have led to a strong friendship is Spider-Man and The Black Widow, along with Spider-Man and Captain Britain.
    I know you love Natasha but she is one person that Peter has never got along with and vice versa.