Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Did Jerry Siegel think Superman and Lois should Marry?

This topic was brought up in another thread but began to take that discussion off-topic. So I thought I'd give it it's own thread.

In November 1977, Jerry Siegel was asked if he thought Superman should marry Lois Lane. He stated that he was in favour of imaginary tales that explored this concept but said "No" as far as cannon was concerned. It was printed in DC Special Series #5 Superman Spectacular, and reads as follows ...

RCO076_1465810363.jpg

Of course, everyone is free to draw their own conclusions from this. But IMO DC was wrong to marry the two characters (and even more wrong to bring the marriage back after they'd finally gotten rid of it). This is not a criticism of Lois Lane. It is a criticism of the marriage being made cannon. I think it has made both Superman and Lois Lane less interesting as characters. I think it has made the stories less interesting. And frankly, I think it was (and remains) disrespectful of DC to go against the creative vision of Superman's co-creator.
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 05-29-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Interesting take. For me it makes it all more entertaining. It adds progress and growth to the character and made new storylines possible. I'm glad they did and reinstated it with rebirth.

He did not, but that doesn't mean Superman shouldn't be married because he didn't think it was the right decision.

I am against the marriage, but I would never use Jerry Siegel words as proof that they shouldn't be married. Superman has been around for 80 years now, and has been written and molded by over a hundred people across media. Superman has grown beyond his creators, and that's ok.

There has been some talk that Jerry Siegel did not think the marriage should happen because it meant Lois would have to quit her job. It has been said that he held the belief that once a woman married, she should quit her job and dedicate all her time to being a wife.

I want to say, there is no proof of this to be found anywhere. In all my time reading about Superman, I have never come across him saying something like that. I don't know where this rumor originated from but unless proof is provided, it should be treated as a lie.

Siegel was not a feminist and he didn't have a great view of women even by the standards of his time, but he wasn't so backwards thinking that in 1977 he thought a woman's rightful place was in the home.

Siegel's reasons for being against the marriage have been proven to hold no weight however. Superman was married in canon for decades and I don't think the married Post-Crisis years were worse than the pre-married Post-Crisis years.
    Last edited by Superbat; 11-16-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    He did not, but that doesn't mean Superman shouldn't be married because he didn't think it was the right decision.

I am against the marriage, but I would never use Jerry Siegel words as proof that they shouldn't be married. Superman has been around for 80 years now, and has been written and molded by over a hundred people across media. Superman has grown beyond his creators, and that's ok.
    Exactly.

This statement is also something Siegal made nearly 40 years after creating Superman. His expressing his opinion about something doesn't mean it was necessarily baked into the characters' DNA right from Day 1.

Also, comic-books and the superhero genre have evolved exponentially since the days of what Siegal calls the "original premise of Superman". You can't expect the character to be held back by what the genre was back then.

Whether he should or shouldn't is pretty much a subjective preference by the individual at this point. I think he very much shouldn't after consuming many years of materials in which he is and don't think it works well anymore for either character. But others obviously feel differently. In this instance what Siegel might have intended one way or another isn't really that critical because basically we're talking about details of the dynamic. It exists both ways, and that's what's important. Its like altering the details of his powers. Either way he still has powers so the spirit is still there regardless how many you give him or their potency. Getting rid of Lois Lane entirely, getting rid of his powers entirely, (and I guess I'll get the little dig in here because I'm still mad) getting rid of his secret identity, those things are betrayals of what was created, because those examples are taking away key parts of the spirit of what was created. In the end in this particular instance what Siegel felt on this issue neither really enhances or diminishes one's preference one way or the other.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-16-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Well, that is what he thought in 1977. He might have held other opinions earlier or later.

Now if the "K-metal story" by Siegel & Shuster had been published in 1940 and Lois had been in on the secret for decades as Superman's (non costumed) side-kick, Jerry might have had a different view.

And wasn't this around the time DC and the Superman creators were playing nice with each other after the movie deal. I'm thinking that maybe he was siding with DC's direction for an unmarried Superman here just to avoid rocking the boat. Sort of giving them a way to say "Even the creator of Superman thinks we are doing Superman right" in response to fans looking for the triangle-for-two to be retired.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I will copy paste what i said in that thread.
    Dude, superman started stagnating before the marriage. In fact, since the crisis on infinite earths. Death of superman had an impact on it.. Constant direction changes hasn't helped either. That isn't a no, no matter how you cut it.Jerry would be happy to marry off lois and clark in main universe if the longevity isn't affected because of the lack of their old (keyword) gags and troupes. Superman can go back to being single bachelor and he would still struggle regardless. Unless his old troupes are modernized in a way that attracts. Which they haven't been able to do. They have been trying. Why do yo think the origin story is retold again and again? Its the same reason.Now,they are trying the 5G thing. Bendis is now getting rid of stuff, now.
    Also, to add to this. Superman's origin was a done in mere panels not issues dedicated to it.that tells you, Superman was interesting without it. The overexplanation of orgin tells you their struggle to keep him interesting. The minute superman becomes interesting like the former again we hit the jackpot aka all star superman.

Astonishing Member

Well he's not saying he doesn't want to see them married in fact he states in that article he would very much like to see it happen. What he's saying is that his character would be overcome with pointless day to day fluff and minutiae of life that would come with it. He was of course completely right, I'm pretty sure in Siegel's darkest dreams he couldn't have imagine one day that Superman would have a mild panic attack while the Justice League brainwashed Batman because he was afraid of what might happen to Lois.

Post-Crisis Superman has presided over a period of endless blood flow greater than anything either of the Pre-Crisis Supermen oversaw and one of them fought through WWII.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

His reasoning within this very statement is wrong and kinda sexist. Marriage doesn't limit stories to babies and anniversaries. So honestly his thoughts here are based on a faulty premise and really don't hold any weight for me. And to hold up this one statement as some kind of publishing edict would be ridiculous. He evolved the character over the years as well, so continued evolution respects his creation. it's evolution that has actually kept Superman relevant, not rigid adherence to some original storytelling forumla.

The idea that marriage or commitment limits storytelling is a falecy anyways. It's only limit is the talent of the writer. They made Lois his "best friend" stripping all the originally intent for a romantic triangle from their characters as well. That was pretty disrespectful. They stuck with that for five years and the stories weren't any better and the comics slid right back towards irrelevance faster than they did when they got married.

Plus as much as some would like to pretend otherwise, Lois and Clark are cemented as a pop culture couple to an even greater extent than when he made that statement. Marriage is a natural evolution of that dynamic. It's not disrespectful to follow that evolution.

And I'm sure he'd respect the forthcoming CW checks his family is going to get just fine. I doubt he'd be having his lawyers prepare a cease and desist letter because it disrespects an interview from 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Well he's not saying he doesn't want to see them married in fact he states in that article he would very much like to see it happen. What he's saying is that his character would be overcome with pointless day to day fluff and minutiae of life that would come with it. He was of course completely right, I'm pretty sure in Siegel's darkest dreams he couldn't have imagine one day that Superman would have a mild panic attack while the Justice League brainwashed Batman because he was afraid of what might happen to Lois.

Post-Crisis Superman has presided over a period of endless blood flow greater than anything either of the Pre-Crisis Supermen oversaw and one of them fought through WWII.
    Which is what i said as well. I thought i was the only one interpreting it that way. Phew!!!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-17-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    His reasoning within this very statement is wrong and kinda sexist. Marriage doesn't limit stories to babies and anniversaries. So honestly his thoughts here are based on a faulty premise and really don't hold any weight for me. And to hold up this one statement as some kind of publishing edict would be ridiculous. He evolved the character over the years as well, so continued evolution respects his creation. it's evolution that has actually kept Superman relevant, not rigid adherence to some original storytelling forumla.

The idea that marriage or commitment limits storytelling is a falecy anyways. It's only limit is the talent of the writer. They made Lois his "best friend" stripping all the originally intent for a romantic triangle from their characters as well. That was pretty disrespectful. They stuck with that for five years and the stories weren't any better and the comics slid right back towards irrelevance faster than they did when they got married.

Plus as much as some would like to pretend otherwise, Lois and Clark are cemented as a pop culture couple to an even greater extent than when he made that statement. Marriage is a natural evolution of that dynamic. It's not disrespectful to follow that evolution.

And I'm sure he'd respect the forthcoming CW checks his family is going to get just fine. I doubt he'd be having his lawyers prepare a cease and desist letter because it disrespects an interview from 1977.
    I have no problem with the marriage. But, changing the nature of the character and making him some thing else or Making the character compete where he cannot hope to compete Is not my ideal. I cannot fathom how Superman can compete with real romcoms or family dramas. Rebirth focused a lot on action, sci-fi , adventure. And like @myskin said was a lot like Saturday morning cartoon shows. I hope it does stick to its genre and uses romcom and family drama as just supplementary.He and lois are action hero and heroines. You can't remove that from them. "action comics" the title means something.
    Then again, i have no leg to stand on. I have a desire to see zack Snyder's justice league While i know it has been bad for the ip. Still, though i am not going to say that i would want it at cost superman becoming like phantom-My first superhero.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I have no problem with the marriage. But, changing the nature of the character and making him some thing else or Making the character compete where he cannot hope to compete Is not my ideal. I cannot fathom how Superman can compete with real romcoms or family dramas. Rebirth focused a lot on action, sci-fi , adventure. And like @myskin said was a lot like Saturday morning cartoon shows. I hope it does stick to its genre and uses romcom and family drama as just supplementary.He and lois are action hero and heroines. You can't remove that from them. "action comics" the title means something.
    Then again, i have no leg to stand on. I have a desire to see zack Snyder's justice league While i know it has been bad for the ip. Still, though i am not going to say that i would want it at cost superman becoming like phantom-My first superhero.
    Yeah single or married it doesn't really make a difference if the characters not on target. We've got remember who the character is at his core a mix of crime pulp and science-fantasy.

If the main Superman is married then you can always use alternate realities to explore what things are like when he's single.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's not a "take", he's the creator of Superman. If he thinks the idea is not a good idea for the character, it probably isn't. What he said is pretty much how I see it too, it's a great thing to explore in "imaginary tales" but it shouldn't be the only Superman we get. That really is DAFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It's not a "take", he's the creator of Superman. If he thinks the idea is not a good idea for the character, it probably isn't. What he said is pretty much how I see it too, it's a great thing to explore in "imaginary tales" but it shouldn't be the only Superman we get. That really is DAFT.
    It isn't, though. There are other titles where Clark's marriage isn't even a focus. For instance, superman smashes the clan. Again, the problem is troupes and gags from it getting old. But, first line i agree completely.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-17-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Storytelling conventions and audience expectations evolve. Marvel injected massive amounts of soap opera and made the character's personal lives central elements from.the jump and DC was left in the dust with their static generic superhero action tales. You can respect Seigels opinion and still recognize that it isn't necessarily correct. .

Marriage and commitment don't require a story to be subsumed with day to day minutiae. Bad (and frankly sexist) writing does. Just like bad writing would sink plenty of action movies.

And the idea that Superman can't compete in other genres is short sighted. Of course he can. He needs to. Romance is backed into the formula as much as anything else.