Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Would Jason Aaron likely be a good WW writer?

I've only read Scalped, not his run on Thor, but I know his Thor has generally been well regarded. There are all these pieces about his 5-year run on Thor wrapping up, and I was just thinking about Thor-WW parallels (mythology, really powerful characters, warrior angle, etc) and wondering if those who have read his Thor think he'd be a good fit on WW, and why?

I think Aaron's take on women and feminism would clash with the Wonder Woman mythos to some degree.

But I guess he could probably resolve people's complaints about Diana's lack of fates.

Yes! If he researched her history and got a feel for her I've no doubt his run would be Amazing.

No. Just look at his She-Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I've only read Scalped, not his run on Thor, but I know his Thor has generally been well regarded. There are all these pieces about his 5-year run on Thor wrapping up, and I was just thinking about Thor-WW parallels (mythology, really powerful characters, warrior angle, etc) and wondering if those who have read his Thor think he'd be a good fit on WW, and why?
    Speaking as someone who read and discussed that run while it was ongoing, the things in blue were some of the preexisting "Thor" fans biggest complaints.

Accounting for how a lot of preexisting "Wonder Woman" fans reacted to the "New52"-era, I'm not so sure there would be a positive reaction to it(no matter how well it was written).

While I'm not going to say I have an exact window into the minds of said fans, what I have read leads me to believe that they have a pretty specific lane that they want the character to stay in.

Not so sure that Aaron would stay inside of said lane.

Isn't he Marvel exclusive these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Ouch, yeah, I forgot about how he erased the gains Jen made in her solo and wrote a She-Hulk many fans found reductive. He did wonders for Jane Foster's Thor though.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    This. Also, while some Azz’s WW was quite good, stripping her of her origin to give her unneeded patriarchal baggage was a huge turn off for me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Ouch, yeah, I forgot about how he erased the gains Jen made in her solo and wrote a She-Hulk many fans found reductive. He did wonders for Jane Foster's Thor though.
    Yes, but the expense of actual Thor. And his Odin is a misogynist alcoholic.

He’s a good writer, but my concern would be he would lapse from Feminism into thinly veiled misandry.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

He’s a good writer, but my concern would be he would lapse from Feminism into thinly veiled misandry.
    I can't really disagree, I was reading The Mighty Thor and War of the Realms but got sidetracked by Hickman's X-Men. What I read so far was enjoyable for how expansive and inclusive everything was and would like that sensibility brought to Wonder Woman. Jason Aaron tells BIG stories. Never liked Odin in the first place so that's not really a problem for me, misandry however is though.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

I suffered through his Doctor Strange. I have to disagree with you. He is NOT a good writer. He is a lazy writer, using obvious narrative tricks to try to cover a serious lack of thought in plotting. After Dr. Strange, I swore I would never voluntarily read another Aaron book. Which is why I do not buy "Conan the Barbarian" but do buy "The Savage Sword of Conan."

Or, in other words, if Aaron started writing WW, I would drop it in an instant. I have better things to do with both my time and money than waste either on Aaron.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

I think if we look at how Aaron handled Thor, putting him on Wonder Woman would be a double edged sword.

God of Thunder was a fantastic title, and I think Aaron made Jane interesting and compelling (though he definitely ended up turning her into a Mary Sue). And a lot of his ideas were pretty fun and entertaining; I loved the War Thor and the ideas behind the War of the Realms was fun and I really enjoy Aaron's King Thor and all the stuff that comes with that version of Thor (the Goddesses of Thunder and the dying universe and all that). And Gorr is an interesting villain who had a interesting foil.

But it feels like anything Aaron wasn't focused on as a main driver in his plot didn't fare so well. And he was so heavy handed with his message it just took all the fun out of it.

If he wrote Wonder Woman....I'd definitely give it a shot, I don't hate his Thor as much as many do. But I don't think it'd be a great fit for him as a writer either. It seems like Aaron's personal views on religion ended up getting in his way with Thor. And with Diana not technically being a god....or at least not a classic character from actual mythology.....well the best that could happen is Aaron would ignore the "divine" side of Diana's mythos completely and focus more on her politics, her superhero career, and her relationship with the government and military. All of which could be great fun to read about.....but I'd always be waiting for the other shoe to drop and for Aaron to gut the Greek gods and ruin them the same way he mistreated and mis-characterized Odin.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think Aaron works best when he writes his own stuff. "Southern Bastards" is personal, well done, and lets him make the thematic points he wants to make the way he wants to make them.

But when he writes franchise characters he writes them as if they were his own which can undermine the core premise of the characters. His Dr. Strange did that, Thor definitely did that (and reading Aaron's comments about religion both in story and about the genesis of "Southern Bastards" let's people know very clearly what his stance on gods (of any religion) are... and that definitely came through in Thor).

Even though he 'loves' the character of Conan, his Conan is Aaron's Conan, not REH's Conan.

He'd be one of my favorite writers if he just did creator-owned stuff. As it is, I stay away from his DC and Marvel work and wouldn't have much hope for his take on Diana.

I don't think he would be.

His Jane Thor was passable but the most interesting thing about her was her fight with cancer, and he wouldn't do something like that with Diana. His stories would be fine but he'd write Wonder Woman as a generic warrior woman.

He’d probably do right by the people who want to see Diana have more epic feats, but if you thought Azzarello wrote the gods as being edgy, ho boy will Aaron shock you. He does like his deep cuts on the lore, but he’s also been essentially retelling his God Butcher story every where he goes so I don’t really want another OC for Diana who is just a Gorr copy. I’d still be interested in giving him a try I guess?