Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What would happen if Marvel cancelled most of their mainstream comic books....

and shrunk the number of comic ongoing titles that they'll put out to thirteen? And soon after that, what happens if you were to choose which type of ongoings are release? Also, what kinds of story content would you want those thirteen books to have?

The Amazing Spider-Man - "The Amazing Spider-Man" will be a Spider-Man/Peter Parker centric title.

Deadpool - 'Nuff said on how that comic'll run.

The Fantastic Four - Stories that have to do with the Fantastic Four will (in edition to them) feature their own cast of characters...ranging from their families, friends and foes.

The Avengers - The "Avengers" comic will mostly show the standard superhero team stories like before and bring in and star core classic Marvel Comics characters who currently don't have any comic titles of their own.

The Uncanny X-Men - This comic book title can be where ALL the X-Men related characters go to. The comic will not only have stories mainly centered on the newest, largest roster of X-Men, but it'll also feature back up stories that stars non-affiliated X-Men characters and groups such as The Heartbreak Kid (not to be confused with Shawn Michaels, formerly "The Heartbreak Kid"), Adam Berman, Peace Monger and The Resistants among others.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Guardians of the Galaxy'll have the same over all premise as the previous GotG installments.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - That comic book title will contain stories that more or less mirror those seen in the 2013 TV series. Also, the book will heavily feature the Marvel 616 versions of the AoS cast of characters past and present.

Marvel Premiere - The new volume of the comic would showcase brand new characters for the Marvel landscape.

Marvel Spotlight - The comic could serve as something that'll shone the spotlight directly towards any Marvel characters. Known or unknown. Popular or obscure. Famous or infamous.

Marvel Feature - The book will bring to the table original stories featuring westerns, romantic dramas, comedies and any other type of stories not having to do with the superhero flare in the mix.

Adventure...into Fear! - A comic re-introducing the eerie, scary side of the Marvel Universe with various supernatural characters going to heart racing, nerve racking and bone chilling locations. Places that seem like the stuff of nightmares come to life.

Not Brand Echh - A series that'll funnily cap off the zany adventures of Forbush Man.

Star Wars - It will be a "Star Wars" comic book that features and focuses mainly on the main SW series cast with back features of other characters who're not in anyway connected to the main overall plot of the Disney franchise let alone any main story arcs that only highlight someone such as Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa and Han Solo.

Note: This hypothetical scenario only applies to the Marvel Comics imprint line, not anything that have to do with other comic book imprints that are in any way connected to Marvel Comics (examples being Icon Comics and Infinite Comics). Btw, this scenario here is based on one of daBronzeBomma's threads that in the DC CBR subforum.

Also, also, as far as anything that have to do with one-shots, mini-series, maxi-series and OGNs are concerned....the choice is yours on which of those and how many you want to put out. In my case, I'd put out Spider-Man/Deadpool maxis and What if minis with more to come soon.
    Last edited by Frostbite883; 11-18-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

No Ant-Man, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, Immortal Hulk, Captain Marvel, Black Cat, Symbiote Spider-man, Thanos, Nebula.

My pull list would be 1 comic (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Here are my 13 books if I ever take over Marvel:

Ant-man and Stinger
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Baby Thanos
    Venom
    Immortal Hulk
    Black Cat
    Symbiote Spider-Man
    Captain Marvel
    Nebula
    Hawkeye (Kate Bishop)
    Sentry
    Silver Surfer
    The Watcher
    Last edited by catbellysqueezer; 11-18-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    Baby Thanos

Astonishing Member

I am all for trimming down, but that list is not in my favor. Without giving you a better example, out of laziness I would buy Gotg and Spidey.

Star Wars shouldn't count, it's a separate line too.

If you want to limit it to 13, the list seems pretty obvious. They should all have backup stories, I think, so that less characters get limboed.

X-Men (two teams)
    Fantastic Four (backup: Future Foundation)
    Avengers (two teams)
    Amazing Spider-Man (backup: Miles Morales)
    Iron Man (backup: Ironheart)
    Captain Marvel (backup: Ms. Marvel)
    Captain America (backup: Invaders)
    Thor (backup: Valkyrie)
    Black Panther (backup: Agents of Wakanda or Shuri)
    Hulk (backup: She-Hulk)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (backup: Nova)
    Deadpool (backup: Gwenpool)
    Champions (backup: Runaways)

As far as I can tell, the only things missing there are further spider and mutant spin-offs. You probably need 18 books to cover everything.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'd only be reading one book a month, but it better be over 60 pages because otherwise that wouldn't be very much X-Men.

I think if Marvel ever did something like this most of their creative energy would be in building up new characters, since the real money is in Intellectual Properties.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Honestly, I don't read 98% of the books that they publish, so it's like they're cancelled in a sense anyway.

I'd perish.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Spectacular Member

I guess 90% of the comic shops would shut down and the comics market die abruptly?

1. Fantastic Four
    2. Amazing Spider-Man
    3. Incredible Hulk
    4. Daredevil
    5. Avengers
    6. Uncanny X-Men
    7. Captain America
    8. Iron Man
    9. Thor
    10. Wolverine
    11. Silver Surfer
    12. Strange Tales- half Doctor Strange, half other supernatural characters
    13. Marvel Comics Presents- featuring characters not in other books

Uncanny X-Men
    Ultimates
    Avengers
    Spectacular Spider-Men (Peter & Miles team-up)
    World of Wakanda (The Crew has backup stories)
    Fantastic Four
    Immortal Hulk
    Marvel Comics Presents (half ongoing Wolverine story, half whatever the hell else)
    Agents of Atlas
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Champions
    Deadpool
    Journey Into Mystery

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    I think if Marvel ever did something like this most of their creative energy would be in building up new characters, since the real money is in Intellectual Properties.
    Good point you brought up there.

Peter Parked: I guess 90% of the comic shops would shut down and the comics market die abruptly? ....Also, want to say I'm sorry if I came off as a smart alec jerk.

Me: You're forgiven.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Didn't they kinda do this during Heroes Reborn?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    I guess 90% of the comic shops would shut down and the comics market die abruptly?
    Isn't that already happening...just a little slower?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

Star Wars - It will be a "Star Wars" comic book that features and focuses mainly on the main SW series cast with back features of other characters who're not in anyway connected to the main overall plot of the Disney franchise let alone any main story arcs that only highlight someone such as Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa and Han Solo.
    I decided, for my own self interest, that I'll swapped out the Star Wars title and replace it with a new one. That title being...

Marvel Villain Team-Up - This new volume of the comic'll see any number of non would-be world conquering villains teaming up to do the run-of-the-mill evil doer type of stuff in each issue, but at the same time they'll get to know each other willingly..or begrudgingly. Also, given the separate, different life roads plenty of them walked towards that'd caused them to do the things they do and going so far as doing things other villains (including those they tend to partner up with) won't see eye-to-eye on, they'll be some tension between the villainous parties (despite not going out of their way to judge or condemn their cohorts as they too bear their own fair share of sins), but in the end, they'll compromise and ultimately work well together enough to pull off whatever evil doing they had planned out.