Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Favorite runs on Uncanny X-Men after Chris Claremont left in 1991?

Felt like giving attention to the later runs since I don't hear them talked about as often. Claremont left after #279 (and returned in 2000 and 2004) and I know there were more writers that worked on the title than the ones I'm about to list, but as a general idea:

Whilce Portacio (1991-1992, #280s)

Scott Lobdell (1992-1997, #280s-340s)

Steven Seagle (1997-1999, #350s-360s)

Alan Davis (1999-2000, #360s-380s)

Chris Claremont (2000-2001, #380s)

Joe Casey (2001-2002, #390s-400s)

Chuck Austen (2002-2004, #410s-440s)

Chris Claremont (2004-2006, #440s-470s)

Ed Brubaker (2006-2008, #470s-500s)

Matt Fraction (2008-2011, #500s-530s)

Kieron Gillen (2011, #530s-540s)
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-19-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Lobdell, Seagle, Brubaker and Gillen are the only ones worth acknowledging

ETA: Kavanaugh didnt write UXM. I think you meant Alan Davis

BANNED

Unreadable under Portaccio and Slobdell, had its moments under Seagle and Davis, AMAZAYN during Revolution, Casey was okay, Austen and Brubaker was garbage, Fraction and Gillen had fun moments but nothing to write home about.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    ETA: Kavanaugh didnt write UXM. I think you meant Alan Davis
    Ah, got the plotter and scripter mixed up. Fixed now. Thanks.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Seagle and Claremont were sort of alright, the rest were boring to bad. I still haven't read Gillen's run because it's too tied up in AvX.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Seagle and Claremont were sort of alright, the rest were boring to bad. I still haven't read Gillen's run because it's too tied up in AvX.
    This run predates AvX

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Those are some short ass runs.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Gillen's run manages to spin some gold out of AvX. It was a specialty of his; he managed to get something great out of Fear Itself with Journey into Mystery

Of longer runs there's really only one, since a couple of the longer runs were "meh", to boring, to outright horrible:
    The Scott Lobdell run is particular is my favorite post Claremont run. he seemed like the perfect successor. He it become low key on the action and more drama and angst, but all of the main players still felt so in character. I think of all post Claremont writers he had the best grasp of the characters, and that when you are writing them, you are only writing a part of them, not overwriting and remaking them as a whole to fit your agenda.

Of the shorters runs (say, less than two years): Joe Kelly/Steven Seagle's combined runs. I'm cheating here on this one because I know Seagle did Uncanny and Kelly did the adjectiveless title, but they were both so entwined I can't separate them. I think they had some interesting ideas they were going with, but unfortunately the run was too short to really give it justice. The best I can say is I really liked the run despite how short it was.

Ed Brubaker - I'm that one guy that absolutely LOVED The Rise And Fall of the Shi'ar Empire. I thought it was the best X-men story in nearly close to 5 years. And his part in Messiah Complex was also well done, but it's hard to count a crossover. Sadly the rest of his run was just "meh". So but I liked the parts I liked enough to overall say it was one of my favorites.

And finally...the best...undeservedly cut short...amazing...Cullen Bunn run. This was absolutely the best run in UXM since Lobdell. Some of the characters seemed a little out of character, but his dialogue was just SO WELL WRITTEN. It was a criminal injustice that his run was as short as it was.