Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I feel it was Joe Kelly's X-Men run that is the better half of the Kelly/Seagle era. Read alone, Seagle's part isn't that great but everyone merges the two together.
    You arent wrong but he had promise. I still hate how the Phoenix story he was building up went nowhere

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I feel it was Joe Kelly's X-Men run that is the better half of the Kelly/Seagle era. Read alone, Seagle's part isn't that great but everyone merges the two together.
    I heard that criticism before but never bothered to go back and check because while I hate myself, I still hate the 90s more.

BANNED

- Some issues of Kelly/Seagle are decent
    - Claremont II and III are fun, imaginative and have their moments while also often being quite bad
    - Fraction varied between fun and mediocre
    - Gillen was mint

Nothing else worth mentioning. Especially Lobdell.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    I heard that criticism before but never bothered to go back and check because while I hate myself, I still hate the 90s more.
    I'm a child of the '90's, everything from that era is gold to me.

And I do agree with Havok83, it definitely had promise and I still enjoyed it alot. Joe Kelly's run is just such an underrated masterpiece though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Seagle and Claremont were sort of alright, the rest were boring to bad. I still haven't read Gillen's run because it's too tied up in AvX.
    Gillen's run manages to spin some gold out of AvX. It was a specialty of his; he managed to get something great out of Fear Itself with Journey into Mystery

Of longer runs there's really only one, since a couple of the longer runs were "meh", to boring, to outright horrible:
    The Scott Lobdell run is particular is my favorite post Claremont run. he seemed like the perfect successor. He it become low key on the action and more drama and angst, but all of the main players still felt so in character. I think of all post Claremont writers he had the best grasp of the characters, and that when you are writing them, you are only writing a part of them, not overwriting and remaking them as a whole to fit your agenda.

Of the shorters runs (say, less than two years): Joe Kelly/Steven Seagle's combined runs. I'm cheating here on this one because I know Seagle did Uncanny and Kelly did the adjectiveless title, but they were both so entwined I can't separate them. I think they had some interesting ideas they were going with, but unfortunately the run was too short to really give it justice. The best I can say is I really liked the run despite how short it was.

Ed Brubaker - I'm that one guy that absolutely LOVED The Rise And Fall of the Shi'ar Empire. I thought it was the best X-men story in nearly close to 5 years. And his part in Messiah Complex was also well done, but it's hard to count a crossover. Sadly the rest of his run was just "meh". So but I liked the parts I liked enough to overall say it was one of my favorites.

And finally...the best...undeservedly cut short...amazing...Cullen Bunn run. This was absolutely the best run in UXM since Lobdell. Some of the characters seemed a little out of character, but his dialogue was just SO WELL WRITTEN. It was a criminal injustice that his run was as short as it was.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I liked the Scott Lobdell run

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Brubaker's RAFOTSE
    Joe Casey
    Mike the Professor Carey
    Claremont Redux

Scott Lobdell (1992-1997)

UXM never quite recovered, right?
    I liked what I read of Seagle's run, but it isn't phenomenal or anything. Gillen's run had some pretty great spots when he moved on from Fraction's influence. But seeing what else he had planned, I'm kind of glad the run was cut short. Bendis was meh, but harmless.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Éd Brubaker wrote one of the best long stories of Uncanny: Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
    At that same period Mike Carey was on X-Men: Legacy and Kyle & Yost on New X-Men.

One of the best periods ever, if you ask me.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Steven Seagle (1997-1999)
    Until their ideas were axed for an editorial mandated story (The hunt for Xavier)

They left because of this editorial control. Morrison left because of this too (at least, he had some string disagreements with Marvel policy. He went to DC and never came back)
    So many talents wasted by business men.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It seems Alan Davis run started with Magneto War. I'll need to read the complete for that cuz the issue I had when I was younger wasn't that good.
    "Cable was right!"

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Didn't like one, except more Claremont runs.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. So much potential squandered and blown away like dust in the wind.
    That's when I quit reading the first time; that late 90's X-Men started getting rough! It was the Morrison/Claremont era that brought me back a few years later(but I did miss the original Claremont return, only read it years later).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!