Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which one?: The One Punch Man universe or the My Hero Academia universe

Whether you want to be a superhero or not, not having a choice in the matter you have to choose which universe you make your home from this point on.

In my case I choose the One Punch Man universe, it just suits me better, along with the serious fact that if you want to be a superhero there no ones going to give you beef about killing the bad guys like they might in the My Hero Academia universe.

Another thing, personally one of the things I don't like about the My Hero Academia universe is with the case with the Sports Festivals or other times, the story straight up ignores the lethal aspect of a number of the characters powers and how easy it is for them to kill someone by mistake: A perfect example of this is with the powers of Shouto Todoroki, with the first festival of the series I couldn't help but think about how crazy is was his dad brought up his "other side": his power of fire, like he could just use it and win: I could see how he could use his ice powers in the fights, so long as he's careful enough with them, but unless he knows what he is doing he could seriously hurt or kill someone with his fire ability-- he really can't control it in certain ways when you think about it.
    Last edited by Kirika; 11-18-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

One Punch Man is way more dangerous to my mind.

HeroAca has villains but they want to steal **** and stuff, there's an ideology behind it.

The monsters in OPM just want to murder all humans.

Honestly unless your name happens to be Saitama, the OPM world just feels way, way more dangerous to live in. If your fellow heroes aren't stabbing you in the back, you're fighting for your life against some OP giant monster or some kung-fu loony bin who's sided with the monsters.

God help you if you happen to do something that offends Tatsumaki.

The Hero Aca Heroes seem more professional in comparison and the threats aren't quite as insane as in OPM. AFO and Shiggy notwithstanding.

Plus I could finally get some clarification for that no fighting rule regarding students.
    That's always confused me. Muda.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

To be fair, in OPM, the violence is largely contained to one specific city, and largely one specific part of that one city. So you can just... not live there.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

going with MHA.

OPM is just too nuts and the hero association's top dogs are either too unreliable or too untrustworthy for my tastes.

say what you will about endeavor as a family man but i can trust him to watch my back and/or save civies when it counts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    To be fair, in OPM, the violence is largely contained to one specific city, and largely one specific part of that one city. So you can just... not live there.
    Not true.

We see several cities on the super-continent of the OPM world get attacked, and several of them have been destroyed. Just two of the were destroyed by the guy who turned into a super strong giant in the first episode. And Boros' ship wiped out city A that one time. And while Saitama destroyed that meteor what remained of it smashed up another city.

And besides all the terrifying monsters and other disasters, there's a half decent chance that you yourself will turn into a monster for some arbitrary reason and thus get hunted and killed by the heroes.

Yeah, I'd absolutely rather live in the MHA world, even if I was a hero. They just generally treat heroes better there and have better systems in place for them.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I think the meteor and Boros mostly happened in the same like super city? Anyway, point taken.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

The scale of destruction in OPM is much much higher,and they don't shy away from massive civilian casualties. (Although they don't kill heroes for some reason.)

As a civilian or low tier hero, oh yeah MHA all day every day. Way too many genocidal indiscriminate ultra powerful villains in OPM. Sure Saitama will stop them eventually, but not before a city (or city sized part of the mega city) gets absolutely annihilated.

While there are some seriously scary MHA villains, they seem focused on money/societal revolution than just murdering people at random.

If I was an up and coming young hero I'd still probably choose MHA. Seems like a better infrastructure and less cut throat, there's competition to be sure but no one's out right threatening guys like they do in OPM. Also if things get too nuts in the future can always leave Japan.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Yeah I mean I distinctly prefer OPM as a work of fiction but it is a pretty grim place to actually live.

Question: If I go with MHA and desire to be a superhero, do I get to pick my Quirk? Because in that world, getting a Quirk worthy of hero work is luck of the draw. You could get the ability to basically be fire God (Endeavour) or you could get the power to take your eyeballs out and stretch them out on your ocular muscles (one of the background students in Chapter 1).

Meanwhile, in the OPM universe you can become superhuman through training or just by working out.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Question: If I go with MHA and desire to be a superhero, do I get to pick my Quirk? Because in that world, getting a Quirk worthy of hero work is luck of the draw. You could get the ability to basically be fire God (Endeavour) or you could get the power to take your eyeballs out and stretch them out on your ocular muscles (one of the background students in Chapter 1).

Meanwhile, in the OPM universe you can become superhuman through training or just by working out.
    No, you don't get a quirk.

There are only two points in favor of OPM:

1) Becoming superhuman in OPM seems much easier, especially if your life sucks. One of the weakest characters in the main cast of OPM actually has a pretty chill life, except for when he almost gets killed by a monster. Meanwhile, if you're one of the downtrodden of society, you're likely to end up overcoming it and becoming a hero, or you end up being a monster that just does what they want (be careful of heroes though).
    2) Since you'd have knowledge of Saitama, you can take advantage of the fact that you're not as impossibly biased as the rest of the cast and actually point Saitama in the right direction most of the time. This could definitely help avert a lot of major crises.

Otherwise, MA is better. All that not getting a quirk means is that you stay out of super hero business (and just stay out of the way of powered folk in general). Not the most glamorous way to live your life in that universe, but outside of maybe the occasional "aw, you don't have a quirk?", it's a vastly better alternative than "Every once in a while, a city destroying calamity appears and your life is lost as collateral.". It's safe enough, and you can have a relatively normal life (most people have a relatively normal life).

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

In terms of horrendous collateral, OPM tends to be significantly worse.

MHA had All for One jacking up a significant portion of a city and Hands Guy recently obliterating most of a town but those are far and away the worst things that have happened in MHA and are very rare.

Meanwhile in OPM, you had Bracchio muscles guy obliterating a large chunk of a city by waving his arm at it, Vaccine Man destroying a big chunk of a city, Boros' ship wiping an entire city off the map, Elder Centipede tearing apart a large chunk of a city just by showing up and Mosquito Lady drinking all the blood of a ton of people in a city to power herself.

Like, it's pretty telling that OPM has public bomb shelters for the population to hide in and evacuation protocols because this stuff happens so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    In terms of horrendous collateral, OPM tends to be significantly worse.

MHA had All for One jacking up a significant portion of a city and Hands Guy recently obliterating most of a town but those are far and away the worst things that have happened in MHA and are very rare.

Meanwhile in OPM, you had Bracchio muscles guy obliterating a large chunk of a city by waving his arm at it, Vaccine Man destroying a big chunk of a city, Boros' ship wiping an entire city off the map, Elder Centipede tearing apart a large chunk of a city just by showing up and Mosquito Lady drinking all the blood of a ton of people in a city to power herself.

Like, it's pretty telling that OPM has public bomb shelters for the population to hide in and evacuation protocols because this stuff happens so much.
    Bomb shelters which do very little good once anything dragon level, like the deep sea king, show up and tear through it.