Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Huh, *Bernard Chang* art has been fucking aces.

And I'd be hesitant to say that DC will continue to work with Priest after that PR disaster of his Vampirella interviews
    What happened with his Vampirella interviews?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Skip to page 4

https://www.newsarama.com/45281-chri...ampirella.html

This is the interview in question. Ironically most fans took his side at the time.

https://******************.com/2019/...n-free-speech/

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I wish he gets Batman after Tynion or at least a solo Damian Robin book

I would love to see him have a four year stint on any of the "traditional" DC heroes: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern (Hal), Aquaman. I think he could also improve some of the "b-list" folks who have followings- Hawkman, Elongated Man, Firestorm, Cyborg.

And while Priest has gone on record that he doesn't want to be known as "the black writer" he has also proven he can give black characters fair treatment as supporting characters or co-stars.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I would love to see him have a four year stint on any of the "traditional" DC heroes: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern (Hal), Aquaman. I think he could also improve some of the "b-list" folks who have followings- Hawkman, Elongated Man, Firestorm, Cyborg.

And while Priest has gone on record that he doesn't want to be known as "the black writer" he has also proven he can give black characters fair treatment as supporting characters or co-stars.
    I feel like Priest would be too cynical for Superman.

I want him on a Bat title or WW
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    He did alright by Supes when Supes showed up in his Deathstroke series, so I’d be interested to see his take. Mark Millar was a pretty violent and cynical writer, so was Alan Moore but they did alright by him. And it’s not like some well regarded stories with Supes in them haven’t been cynical or depressing in tone (Alan Moore’s storie sin particular have bleak endings).

But really Priest would be perfect for Suicide Squad and I wish he had gotten it over Taylor.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I actually think he'd be great, and that he has far more range than anyone seems to be giving him credit for given all the anti-hero suggestions people keep giving on here.

I loved his take in Deathstroke and when he did the Steel tie-in story for JLA in the 90s.

But most of all I think his run on John-Henry Irons/Steel was hands down one of the best feather's in Priest's cap. He actually even describes that whole run as something of a parody of a Superman run with Steel as the Superman stand-in. He says that it was Superman's world if it didn't work right, and the whole thing comes together so well.

Such an underappreciated run. I'd love to see him get to write either Clark or even Jon as Superman in some way.

Here's him talking about just how much he loved writing the Steel book as his own personal Superman book

http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/steel.html
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-10-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He did alright by Supes when Supes showed up in his Deathstroke series, so I’d be interested to see his take. Mark Millar was a pretty violent and cynical writer, so was Alan Moore but they did alright by him. And it’s not like some well regarded stories with Supes in them haven’t been cynical or depressing in tone (Alan Moore’s storie sin particular have bleak endings).

But really Priest would be perfect for Suicide Squad and I wish he had gotten it over Taylor.
    His Justice League wasn't overly cynical...although there were elements of cynicism in there. It definitely felt very clinical for a League book.

Astonishing Member

I think that mocking the mainstream, or the "way the universe works" at any rate, isn't necessarily always born of cynicism. Morrison's Blackstars # 2 seems like a perfect example of how that can be the case, as it entirely mockingly satirizes the present-day DCU, ruthlessly, but isn't mean-spirited. I get that out of Priest's Deathstroke as well. Although he's definitely got a more cynical edge, a bit more bite to his stance, or the angle he's viewing things from. But that was perfectly appropriate for a book where our viewpoint character is Slade Wilson. Or even Joey and Rose, who are hardly going to be idealistic figures.

So I obviously think that tone could work a lot of places and have mentioned Detective and other things. But I do keep coming back around to Dick Grayson and SPY STUFF. Spy stuff is not only cool because it's shadowy and is best written when somebody who is good at explaining the "here's how he did it" methodical story-logic stuff worked, writes it. But it's also a pretty good way to cast a cynical eye at some of the in-universe concepts we all take for granted, to poke fun at tropes and cliches. And Dick Grayson is a character who would work pretty exceptionally well (especially these days) as a character who's sort of been janked out and beaten up conceptually, riding the ups and downs of other stories, being used as a tool or a pawn in games being played. A lot of crap thrown at his expense to bolster other things.

He's also been shot in the head twice (first by the Devil, then by the Beast), stabbed in the forehead (Devil), and seriously mind-tampered multiple times (Spyral, Mother, Dedalus, Doctor Destiny, Barbatos, Owls) just since taking over as temp-Batman. He's got to have serious damage going on in there and it's a wonder he can even trust anything, let alone his senses, at this point.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 12-11-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Artemis or Grace Choi

Nightwing

A Terra-centered miniseries/maxiseries.

I would love for him to take a shot at Silencer, it's pretty close to Deathstroke so I don't know if Priest would be open to it considering his aversion to being pigeonholed but I would love to see how he'd handle a different type of family dynamic.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I would love for him to take a shot at Silencer, it's pretty close to Deathstroke so I don't know if Priest would be open to it considering his aversion to being pigeonholed but I would love to see how he'd handle a different type of family dynamic.

Honor is Polynesian not black so I don't think it would be an issue for him.

Honor is Polynesian not black so I don't think it would be an issue for him.
    I should clarify, Ibdon't mean her race. I meant, considering his philosophy on why doesn't write every black character, Priest clearly does not want the to be pigeonholed in the stories he tells, so iunno how receptive he'd be to going from his Deathstroke run to Silencer, another super-assassin antihero with a complex family situarion.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."