Default The Best of the Decade - 1970 through 1979

What are your favorite DC stories of the 1970's?

Extraordinary Member

Anything Justice League of America. It was the best IMO.

I also liked DC Comics Presents and Brave And The Bold as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    What are your favorite DC stories of the 1970's?
    I would say:

1. 1959-85 - Flash: The Silver Age - The Flash by Carmine Infantino - 4 vol. followed by 2 omnibus (ongoing)
    2. 1963-82 - Crisis On Multiple Earths - The JSA and JLA through the ages - 6 vol. + 2 team-ups vol.
    3. 1966-82 - The Steve Ditko Omnibus - Charleston Comics by Steve Ditko: Shade, Hawk & Dove, Legion of Superheroes, Starman, The Outsiders, Specter, Desaad, ... - 2 omnibus
    4. 1970-73 - The Fourth World by Jack Kirby - Massive Saga with The New Gods, Mister Miracle, The Forever People and Jimmy Olsen - Introduces Darkseid, Big Barda and Orion as well - 4 omnibus
    5. 1970-72 - Green Lantern/Green Arrow - A very funny duo that commes back regularly in the comics - 1 omnibus
    6. 1972-76 - Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus - The original Swamp Thing saga by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson (and then others) - 1 omnibus

Justice League of America 167/168 (The League that Defeated Itself/The Last Great Switcheroo). Fantastic story, despite Identity Crisis (which I dislike very much) being based on it. The original is solid. There's a lot of good Justice League stuff in the 1970s.

I'll hedge on this one. It's one I like (a favorite) but not one I'd recommend as a "best of" - Batman Family Issue #7 where Robin and Batgirl take on Sportsmaster and Huntress. It's not that the story is that great, but that I love the Bruce Wayne that bookends it. I miss that guy.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I don't have the exact numbers for most of the books but the ones that stand out for me, New Gods by Jack Kirby, I think this stuff is endlessly rewarding. Action Comics/Superman the Cary Bates/Elliot S. Maggin books, I would love to have a complete run of 70's Superman books. Brave and the Bold by Jim Aparo. One poster wrote how this was the quintessential D.C. universe. I think I actually prefer these books to the Detective Comics and Batman of the era. Those books are best of the decade too! Jonah Hex! I think he doesn't translate well anymore, but this book really puts the Clint Eastwood western on the page. Justice League of America is also a big favorite! Dick Dillin is a great artist and it has taken me years to understand why.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Justice League of America is also a big favorite! Dick Dillin is a great artist and it has taken me years to understand why.
    Dillin was amazing. These days, it's hard to get an artist to go 6 issues without taking a break. Dillin was there for 12 years and only missed one issue. And the only reason he left the book is because he died. Plus, his art was amazing.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Dillin was amazing. These days, it's hard to get an artist to go 6 issues without taking a break. Dillin was there for 12 years and only missed one issue. And the only reason he left the book is because he died. Plus, his art was amazing.
    There are a few big, beautiful one panel poses and close-ups of a character where they look just perfect. I think those are what finally sold me. I really love the wedding of Alanna and Adam Strange from the Justice League back then, actually there are about 4 Justice League Adam Strange team ups that might be my favorite JLA books from back then. One or two of them has a Neal Adams cover.

I also really enjoy all the Neal Adams books from that era, Batman to Green Lantern. His covers were always the best on any book. I love the Mike Grell work from back then on the Legion and the GL/GA team up book. The 70's were a good time for DC. House of Mystery, House of Secrets, The Phantom Stranger, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Sgt. Rock,,, finding a old box full of torn up D.C. comics from back then was like an endless Christmas. When I look at this era, all the smarts and sincerity are there to make good fantastic D.C universe stories. In the 80's the books and creators start to deconstruct the genre, but in the 70's, they tried to grow up the characters but still hang on to the sincerity of the genre. The SHAZAM books were goofy fun!

Extraordinary Member

I started a thread on Dick Dillin's art awhile back. He was definitely special.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ghlight=dillin