Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DC 5G: Who will remain?

So obviously if you are here you know about and can probably see the long DC 5G thread about the rumored upcoming line relaunch where apparently characters will get old and replaced by newer younger characters, you know Luke being Batman and Jon being Superman and so forth. I'm not really discussing that here because clearly the other thread is working, what I want to talk about is who we think isn't going anywhere, because lets be honest DC is not about to role out and replace every last character. Some characters are likely to stay behind and continue as they are or get new status quos with the rumored time jump. I'd like to rattle off a few names I think are safe if you don't mind and hope to get a good discussion going. Feel free to disagree with me if you think I'm wrong on something.

1. Nightwing. He is literally just starting to come back from the whole Ric storyline King left him in, I sincerely doubt they will replace him with someone new after he is about to return months before 5G happens
    2. Young Justice and the Justice Society. Both teams have just reestablished themselves, the JSA more recent then Young Justice, besides aging them up and possible line-up shifting I doubt they are going anywhere.
    3. The Shazam Family. I mean the only difference here would be that their non-super powered forms would be older and in their teens/pre-teens, once they say Shazam they will look the same.
    4. Red Hood. I really doubt DC would put anyone other then Jason under the hood, that name is pretty much attached at this point
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So obviously if you are here you know about and can probably see the long DC 5G thread about the rumored upcoming line relaunch where apparently characters will get old and replaced by newer younger characters, you know Luke being Batman and Jon being Superman and so forth. I'm not really discussing that here because clearly the other thread is working, what I want to talk about is who we think isn't going anywhere, because lets be honest DC is not about to role out and replace every last character. Some characters are likely to stay behind and continue as they are or get new status quos with the rumored time jump. I'd like to rattle off a few names I think are safe if you don't mind and hope to get a good discussion going. Feel free to disagree with me if you think I'm wrong on something.

1. Nightwing. He is literally just starting to come back from the whole Ric storyline King left him in, I sincerely doubt they will replace him with someone new after he is about to return months before 5G happens
    2. Young Justice and the Justice Society. Both teams have just reestablished themselves, the JSA more recent then Young Justice, besides aging them up and possible line-up shifting I doubt they are going anywhere.
    3. The Shazam Family. I mean the only difference here would be that their non-super powered forms would be older and in their teens/pre-teens, once they say Shazam they will look the same.
    4. Red Hood. I really doubt DC would put anyone other then Jason under the hood, that name is pretty much attached at this point
    I doubt any of these will be affected. They said it was the JL members who were being replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I doubt any of these will be affected. They said it was the JL members who were being replaced.
    Yeah I figured as much but you never know what DC might plan when it comes to updating certain properties in hopes of gaining popularity and sales. I’m just thinking who stays when the replacements role in.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I think they would limbo Nightwing before they try replacing him again after Ric. The rest too there would be little point. They either have just returned or are just too low on the totem pole.

BANNED

I think they're just replacing JL. They did something similar pre Flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I think they're just replacing JL. They did something similar pre Flashpoint.
    Yeah but there wasn’t a time jump then I think, unless of course the whole time jump thing is like Zero hour and only a few characters get aged(which is very likely) then I assume it’d be a time jump for everyone or something.
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Who said timejump will be part of it?

Isn’t that what the whole time skip discussion thread is about? There is a likely probability that some rumors are starting to get confused at this point. I suppose there is also the assumption that the entire dc universe was going to be effected by whatever time aging shenanigans rumored to occur in the coming year.
    Words to live by.

BANNED

They could just move down things down and up but still be 2020 in universe.

They could just move down things down and up but still be 2020 in universe.
    Totally possible, I mean comics are just weird with time shenanigans, only thing I’m trying to talk about is if the rumors are true and Luke, Jon, Captain Boomerang Jr, and etc. all take over the big names who will be left over as recognizable to readers. Because while I can see the JL changing and a handful of other characters just to get sales going or get interest I just don’t see everyone changing all at once. Then again it’s a wait and see.
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Got me wondering if the Flash with exposed hair is Mercer as shown in Doomsday clock 12.

Guess they could keep one book for each for Clark and Bruce while their legacy version gets the other book.

Got me wondering if the Flash with exposed hair is Mercer as shown in Doomsday clock 12.

Guess they could keep one book for each for Clark and Bruce while their legacy version gets the other book.
    I think there was a rumor about that as well, it was that while the new legacy characters taking up the mantle would take up the main books, the originals would carry on in either the black label books or the new giant comics that would be outside of canon.

As for the Mercer argument that’s hard to say, they both had red hair so while I’d like to say Wally could be him to.
    Words to live by.

In which case, relaunch Sensation Comics for Wonder Woman and Adventure Comics for Flash (who was in the title in it's Dollar Comics period, though it's more associated with Aquaman, Superboy, and Supergirl).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Doomsday Clock implies that there's a brief time skip.

I think we'll see the Big 6 replaced along with maybe major other heroes like Green Arrow, Black Canary, etc.