View Poll Results: Which of the GotG film characters was least like their comic book counterpart?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drax the Destroyer

6 10.00%
  • Gamora

13 21.67%
  • Groot

1 1.67%
  • Ronan the Accuser

15 25.00%
  • Rocket Raccoon

0 0%
  • Star-Lord

1 1.67%
  • Thanos

0 0%
  • Yondu

24 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which GotG character was least like their comic book counterpart?

Enjoyed the movie a lot but certainly felt some characters were different from their portrayal in the comics book (not necessarily a bad thing).
    My question: Which of the major characters in the film was least like his/her counterpart in the comic books?

For arguments sake, lets say we're looking for lack of similarity between the two during any part of the character's comic book history. So that if the movie portrayal resembles an earlier version of the comic book character, that counts as similar.

If you vote please try to leave a rationale. Also it would be interesting to know whether you think the changes were necessary and/or beneficial for the movie.

Ultimate Member

Yondu and Ronan, most of all.

Drax, since he came back all muscle-y, is a wildly different character than the original Drax, but the movie version seemed true enough to the modern comic version, neither of which being anything like the original flying energy manipulator...

Star-Lord is different, in that Chris Pratt's version is way more interesting than he ever was in the comics, IMO.

Yondu since he wasn't from the future and wasn't really a hero. Though adding in the future stuff might have bloated the movie a bit, so this version was fine. Plus his mohawk thing was shorter here.

Then Drax because it appears that he is entirely an alien and not a human turned into one. He's also less powerful than in the comics, but that's ok because the film was about overcoming odds; Drax being almost Thanos level strength like in the comics might have made those odds a lot easier to overcome and cut out a chunk of the movie. His personality was great and like the comics I think, so it still felt like Drax.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Sorry I forgot to include Nebula in the poll!!

My own thoughs on some of the differences.. SPOILERS AHEAD

Star-Lord: in the DnA comics, he was kind of war-weary, haunted by guilt over past failures. He still tried to do the right thing but would make a lot of pessimistic comments. In the movies, he is still haunted (by his mother's death) but seemed relentlessly confident and fairly immature.

Drax: As others have mentioned, his origin seems significantly different. The concept that his race can't understand figurative language seems new to me, but maybe its shown up in some of his more brutish incarnations in comics.

Gamora: others have pointed out that she might not live up to billing as the "most dangerous woman in the galaxy", but I didn't think her characterization was that different from what we saw in DnA's run. The romantic interest in Quill was new, and the relationship with Thanos seemed different from what I remembered.

Rocket: Seemed to have a bit more attitude/be less of a nice guy than the comic version (fairly minor difference though). Also I don't remember the comic version getting worked up over his "uniqueness" the way the film character did at some point.

Groot was more or less the same.

Ronan was more one-dimensional and certainly didn't seem to have the heroic side we occasionally see in comics. I don't remember the Kree and Xandar having a major beef in the comics but I could be wrong, and that's a minor point anyhow.

Yondu was substantially different as he was a noble warrior in the comics and is a fairly rough mercenary here, although he seems to have some heart too.

overall, I thought most of the changes made to the characters worked for the movies. The changes to Drax gave him some pretty funny lines to soften his character a bit. I do think Ronan could have used more fleshing out but that Ronan was still an improvement over Malekith in Thor: The Dark World.

Spectacular Member VideoGameCinema's Avatar

I feel like it was definitely Yondu. As others have said already, he is a warrior in the comics, but he more of a mercenary in the movie. Not a bad change though, I liked it!

BANNED

For the main characters, Gamora. Man, she was bad.

I voted for Gamora before reading the poll as Yondu is the most different of the supporting cast.
    Ronan was turned into a one dimensional villain. The changes to Drax felt unnecessary and made his character motivations pretty dull but he was pretty fun and reflected the character in spite of the changes to his backstory. Star Lord felt a little bit like Tony Stark lite. Gamora's only redeeming quality was Zoe Saldana. The presentation of Gamora should not have been surprising considering Gunn's controversial statements about female super heroes.

I was also slightly confused at Thanos being called "the most powerful being in the universe" after seeing a Celestial (although there could have been some slight hyperbole in the statement). Having not watched Thor 2 is the Warlock cocoon not directly addressed and simply an Easter-egg?

Overall I enjoyed the film but I was disappointed that the characters I was most excited for were the worst adapted.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-07-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

As much as I did like John C Reilly in the film, I would probably add Rhomann Dey to the list considering his comic counterpart is the Prince of Xandar, Nova Prime, and Xandars greatest hero. We don't know much about his back story and he'll probably be in the sequel so he could still be all those things at the end of the day but right now he's pretty different. Irani Rael is really different too so maybe add her aswell.
    Last edited by Trevel8182; 08-07-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Incredible Member

Groot or Yondu. Drax was somewhat different, but Groot was far more benevolent in this movie than he is in the comics. Even, granted, that he's mellowed somewhat since his world-conquering days, he's still never this nice.

Yondu, of course, has only the blue skin and whistling arrow in common with his comic counterpart.

Drax is the exact same idiot, just not from Earth.

The only issue is that Gamora should've been about 10% scarier. We definitely should've had a scene with her walking away from a pile of corpses/pg-13-approved-unconscious-bodies.

BANNED

Ronan and Yondu.

Ronan is nothing more than a psychotic terrorist in the movie.

Yondu is completely different in every way except look and magic arrow.

Im going to say Ronan on this one. It seemed to me that he was just a Zealot, he didn't really care for the peace treaty between the Kree and Xandarians...in the comics I feel as though he would have honored that treaty because it's what the Kree empire wanted. I dont really have any exposure to Nebula outside of Infinity Gauntlet. I was so hoping that Rich Nova would fly in to help save the day...but alas...us Nova fans will have to wait a little longer I suppose. Oh...and it was great seeing Cosmo!

Oh and I have a question for you GotG readers! Has it ever been established what cut off the Celestials head yet?
    Last edited by Link; 08-07-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Ii'm gonna go with Star-Lord and Gamora

The question should be character ACTUALLY resemble something like the comic book version.
    Almost everything was changed to fit the flick.

Well I haven't read a book with the Guardians in it since the 70's so none of them! Lol!! I've since researched a bit & understand there's a different team now.