Default The comic art controversy

There's been a bit of controversy lately that Marvel's Star Wars comics have been swiping fan designs or just taking reference photos and almost tracing over them, with the new bridge comic, "Allegiance" being a prime offender.

I pointed out this was a problem with the Jedha arc about a year ago copying stills almost entirely; Larocca's work seemed to have improved after that though.

Here's a youtube video on the matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SgPXXknm7Y&app=desktop (Eckhart's a bit biased towards Legends but he makes very good points nonetheless).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-19-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

If this is an issue with Larocca then it should be addressing him. Marvel has no reason to catch something like this when even I'm just now finding out about this and I pick these comics up. If the consumer isn't going to notice and editors are just as likely not going to notice, then the issue should be taken up with the artist since it's not fair to assume Marvel is going to be aware of this if your consumer even isnt.

Granted as a Star Wars thing the I.P holders are more than in the right to use it. It's their property but credit should be given to the source of the work. The Mandolorian for example actually uses members of 501st to add more Stormtroopers to a scene using their own armor which actually got credited. Now I don't think it will credit every member present, but acknowledging that they appeared is enough (internally it may count as a troop for them but I don't know seeing as I'm not affiliated with them). But they contacted them to use their work on the show. They went through proper channels to do that whereas here apparently he couldn't even send an E-mail.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Marvel has shamelessly stolen a lot of designs indeed made by fans.

What's even more stupid about that is that the very large majority of those artists are die hard Star Wars fans who would have happily gave their permission if simply ASKED.

But no, let's just take everything lol.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

What's even more stupid about that is that the very large majority of those artists are die hard Star Wars fans who would have happily gave their permission if simply ASKED.

Marvel as a company has nothing to do with that. Its the artists who do it and you can't reasonably expect Marvel as a company to be up to date on where the art is coming from. Not everyone hangs out on Artstation or Deviant Art. Blame the artist not the company who has other artists, editors, and writers who have nothing to do with it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I have more of a problem with it not really being any good, both in terms of story and plot. I'm not a fan of the more photo-real stuff, I liked how Dark Horse did it better; Cam Kennedy all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Not the first time fan stuff is used in the franchise.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Marvel as a company has nothing to do with that. Its the artists who do it and you can't reasonably expect Marvel as a company to be up to date on where the art is coming from. Not everyone hangs out on Artstation or Deviant Art. Blame the artist not the company who has other artists, editors, and writers who have nothing to do with it.
    Oh but Marvel knows about it alright. Do you think the artists in question didn't contact the company to signal that problem?

Response from Marvel : nothing.