Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default [Spoilers] Batman #83 preview and discussion.

The preview as Batman reacts to Alfred's death:

https://www.newsarama.com/47928-batman-83.html

Two more issues to go before Tom King's run on the flagship Batman book comes to an end. I'm glad it'll all be over soon.

Urgh.

Waynes are morons, and so is the Batfamily now.

I'm so glad Ric and Jason aren't here, I can't tell you.

Incredible Member

There is so much wrong with this issue. How long has Alfred been dead? Must be getting pretty ripe by now. Bruce magically recovered from multiple gunshot wounds just like he's magically recovered from having his throat slit and breaking his back multiple times (more humanized Batman my ass). Tim has also magically recovered from being stabbed in the chest so that's cool. Then we get this long winded thing from Alfred where King once again steals from actual writers to fill up space before giving a really stupid explanation as to why he lied about being all clear. The amount of mental gymnastics required to call this a good book is astounding. This was crap plain and simple and the best thing about it is that it's one more down until this travesty of a run is over.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Urgh.

Waynes are morons, and so is the Batfamily now.

I'm so glad Ric and Jason aren't here, I can't tell you.
    I don't like what's been done to Dick, but what has means he's not here. Can't wait for King to be off the title.

I see, King is back with the poems and "Only Selina ever brought Bruce happiness" nonsense.
    Some of Alfreds words would be nice, if I was able to ignore everything wrong with this run that surrounds them.
    Alfred deserved a better run for his death.

Astonishing Member

I loved the Vision and I've liked all three of his Batman Annuals which makes his time on the flagship Batman book frustrating as it sucks.

Incredible Member

1. "If I vomit poems from superior authors all over the page it means I'm a good writer, right?" Seriously, isn't this straight-up plagiarism?

2. King seems to be oblivious to the fact that Alfred did not become the Waynes' butler until after Bruce was born. This was even confirmed in All-Star Batman. Dini made the same mistake in his Streets of Gotham run, but still. So disappointing that continuity is just thrown out the window every f*cking week.

I went back to not reading when I saw the Batfamily get jobbed by an elderly Thomas Wayne. What happened now?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I went back to not reading when I saw the Batfamily get jobbed by an elderly Thomas Wayne. What happened now?
    Not much, and that's the problem

Batman and Selina tag-teamed Bane, and even after Selina got taken out, Bruce continued to beat the **** out of him. Meanwhile, Thomas walked over the bodies of the Bat family, got dressed up, and drove to where the fight was happening and, as Bruce lifted Bane to break HIS back, Thomas shot Bruce in the back.

This issue Bruce wakes up, magically healed, sealed in a room with Alfred's body. He punches a few bricks while King plagiarizes a poem, and eventually Selina busts through to take him to Thomas. Bruce enters where Thomas is, where all of the Bat family is standing, all perfectly fine with no visible injuries (I'm guessing that Thomas had Psycho Pirate mind-screw them?) and, because King never does in one book what he can do in 50, they prepare to fight each other.

I'd apologize for spoilers, but since nothing really happens, nothing is really spoiled.

I get the feeling many here don’t know what plagiarism is.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Lovely. I already call bullshit on anything that doesn't end with Bruce taking Thomas down in less than a minute. He shouldn't have even made it this far.

And now that Bane's been beaten for the umpteenth time, is there anything left to do with him in this "City of Bane" arc?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Not much, and that's the problem

Batman and Selina tag-teamed Bane, and even after Selina got taken out, Bruce continued to beat the **** out of him. Meanwhile, Thomas walked over the bodies of the Bat family, got dressed up, and drove to where the fight was happening and, as Bruce lifted Bane to break HIS back, Thomas shot Bruce in the back.

This issue Bruce wakes up, magically healed, sealed in a room with Alfred's body. He punches a few bricks while King plagiarizes a poem, and eventually Selina busts through to take him to Thomas. Bruce enters where Thomas is, where all of the Bat family is standing, all perfectly fine with no visible injuries (I'm guessing that Thomas had Psycho Pirate mind-screw them?) and, because King never does in one book what he can do in 50, they prepare to fight each other.

I'd apologize for spoilers, but since nothing really happens, nothing is really spoiled.
    I can't be mad because it's true.

We only have 3 issues left, they need to be so jam packed with stuff but they are so barren.

I don't understand King's rationale, and I love his works

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I can't be mad because it's true.

We only have 3 issues left, they need to be so jam packed with stuff but they are so barren.

I don't understand King's rationale, and I love his works
    I'm assuming it's not wrapping everything up because it was never intended to be the end of King's run. This arc will end with Thomas being defeated most likely, but any other stuff will most likely be addressed in the Batman/Catwoman series. Even before it moved to the Bat/Cat mini his run on Batman was supposed to continue post-City of Bane, so I doubt it was ever supposed to be the climax of his run.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I'm assuming it's not wrapping everything up because it was never intended to be the end of King's run. This arc will end with Thomas being defeated most likely, but any other stuff will most likely be addressed in the Batman/Catwoman series. Even before it moved to the Bat/Cat mini his run on Batman was supposed to continue post-City of Bane, so I doubt it was ever supposed to be the climax of his run.

Yeah I understand, but his departure was announced in July, he could have changed it to fit the reduced issue count.

Astonishing Member

Kind of a tortuous read and no answers yet on the Psycho Piracy or Manhattan connections or Flashpoint connections or whatever. Which is basically why I'm still reading at this point.

I've got plenty of criticisms, some of them are the same as everyone else, and I've got nitpicks, too!

But I do want to give a shout to Mikel Janin's artwork this issue. I thought his tonal depiction and good use of compromise between the noirish heavy shadowing Batman sometimes gets, and the Victorian Gothic vibe of Wayne Manor evoking the horror and sorrow of the scenario ... kind of contrasted beautifully with a softness of a childhood home and a dead parent's last words and the warmth and sadness, and kept it grounded in Batmannyness so it wasn't too far in the realm of like Gothic depiction.

Everyone ought to get themselves a Psycho Pirate. Ultimate plot device. You don't have to explain how ANYTHING works. Just "Psycho Pirate".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com