Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Alfred knew Bruce had a plan and would come back. Are trying to tell me there was no way Bruce could have arranged to get Alfred out of there if Alfred had been honest? Would a few more days of waiting to take back Gotham make such a huge difference after Bruce's plan left Gotham under Bane's control for months anyway? King made Alfred choose a useless death here, not a noble sacrifice.

Edit: Also, may I remind you that it was suggested by Alfred himself that he should be killed if a member of the bats entered Gotham, because he didn't want them to come to the city. Which is pretty stupid if you consider that the family members, including Alfred, knew all along what Bruce had planned and that of course they would take back Gotham. None of this was necessary. None of this was smart. None of this was heroic.
    Dang, I had forgotten about it. It make the whole thing even more ridiculous.

This issue got a 1/10 on Batman news. It's one of the harshest reviews I've seen on that site. I know the website is not for everyone but I thought it did a really good job at highlighting some of the flaws in Kings run.

http://batman-news.com/2019/11/21/batman-83-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    This issue got a 1/10 on Batman news. It's one of the harshest reviews I've seen on that site. I know the website is not for everyone but I thought it did a really good job at highlighting some of the flaws in Kings run.

http://batman-news.com/2019/11/21/batman-83-review/
    I didn't know about them deleting those pages from Batman #12.

I didn't either. I only collect Digital now, so that's incredibly frustrating. I know they deleted, or omitted, the Batpeen from Batman Damned after all the controversy. It's depressing to know you're getting less content for your money, nor are you notified which books are edited.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I fear too many writer don't know that write a great story doesn't means write a good story and there are too few good writers for the comic book industry to be replaced if they start to write awfull stories or they want leave their mark on the character at all cost; in my opinion King is one of these few good writers who don't know the difference among a good and a great story, but want leave his mark.

P.S. Like the great Jim Shooter: «The writers of today need 6 months to write a story that Stan Lee would have written in 6 pages.»

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wait what? What did they replace it with?

Aren't those pages integral to the story, how can they just simply delete them?
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 11-22-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think they did? They're on the DCU app and Comixology.

I think that review is so ridiculously over the top.

I’ve said my piece elsewhere but:

I've seen adult films with more plot than this dumpster fire of a run. Once more, King tried (and failed) to mask lack of an actual plot with a second narrative, pretending its poetic themes match whatever's happening on the issue's pages- Like he did in Heroes in Crisis #4 where he ruined seminal moments of Wally’s History.

HERE A SUICIDE NOTE FROM ALFRED WHO HAD AN ENTIRELY UNNEEDED DEATH AND IT CONTRASTS A MAJOR POWERFUL MESSAGE HE EARLIER CONVEYED. And one of the greatest failings of the run is 83/85 Issues and of 100 Planned Issues of the Run and all I feel is Anger at the TERRIBLE writing Techniques and now I’m barely even energised enough to do that- I’m tired of it.

It was simply put, awful. It was hollow and empty, The Poetry was irrelevant. The Philosophy Quotes make it so half his run isnt written by him. Bruce reacting to Alfred’s Death was hollowed out by how godawful the death was and the 6 issue wait- The Suicide Note made that worse, and we get a terrible cliffhanger of Bruce about to wrestle Thomas “For Alfred” which wont be until the final issue because next issue is meant to explain Thomas.

The Art was amazing like most artists on this run. Its like seeing the Mona Lisa and then someone comes in and uses it to wipe their butt. Thats the Best way of describing it.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I just checked. The pages are still there in #12. That review gets a 1/10 for lack of consistency.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Incredible Member

That review is spot on. I don’t care if he’s right about whether pages were removed from the digital version. The critic of the actual content of the issue is 100% right. This issue, like so many of his stories, romanticizes suicide and is irresponsible.

I have to ask, does anyone know who will suceed King? Or for that matter will even do better job of it?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I have to ask, does anyone know who will suceed King? Or for that matter will even do better job of it?
    James Tynion IV

He's pretty good, his Detective Comics run is really good

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Tynion IV's good. Waiting to find out who gets the book after Tynion IV short spell.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I just checked. The pages are still there in #12. That review gets a 1/10 for lack of consistency.
    I checked my dc app and there the issue only has 16 pages instead of the usual. The author of the review said he redownloaded the issue a few days ago and they were gone. What he said is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I checked my dc app and there the issue only has 16 pages instead of the usual. The author of the review said he redownloaded the issue a few days ago and they were gone. What he said is true.
    My digital copy still had all mentions of his attempted suicide. But I was largely joking about my review review. It raises a fair point.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)