Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Fixing a problem someone else caused isn't a bad thing. Giving people the gifts they were always supposed to have isn't either.
    It is, because they had no consent. and some humans got the worse too.

And if those 'gifts' ruin their lives, kill someone near them, or just straight up cause them to die on the spot, then there's no way to fix. Saying they were always meant to be a hideous rock monster or something isn't going to fly.

Its really not much different than Black Bolt detonating the terrigen bomb. Which was also terrible

It's almost as if the Phoenix wasn't coming to Earth to reignite the X-Gene in the first place.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    It's almost as if the Phoenix wasn't coming to Earth to reignite the X-Gene in the first place.
    It wasn't. It burned every inhabited world between it and earth. There's nothing to suggest it wouldn't have done the same here. Wana and Hope working together convinced it to heal the mutants then go away.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    It wasn't. It burned every inhabited world between it and earth. There's nothing to suggest it wouldn't have done the same here. Wana and Hope working together convinced it to heal the mutants then go away.
    Convinced? Yeah no the Phoenix had shown signs of picking Hope as it's next host long before AvX.

The bird was coming for Hope regardless of what anybody wanted

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Convinced? Yeah no the Phoenix had shown signs of picking Hope as it's next host long before AvX.

The bird was coming for Hope regardless of what anybody wanted
    Didn't say it wasn't coming for Hope. Did say that SW and Hope working together gave the story a relatively happy ending instead of more spurious genocide at the hands of an idiotic fire god.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Didn't say it wasn't coming for Hope. Did say that SW and Hope working together gave the story a relatively happy ending instead of more spurious genocide at the hands of an idiotic fire god.
    The god wasn't coming to end the earth. If it was it would've never even needed a host in the first place. Their fear was ignorance.

Blowing up planets on the way was just the Phoenix doing its job.
    Last edited by CoCoBandz; 11-21-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That poor kid with the mouth face screaming for his mother made me almost physically ill. After that moment, any time a mutant cure comes up I think yeah, this should be a thing. Some mutants really desperately need it. When your mutation is less superhero and more "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" you kind of need it if you are ever going to have anything resembling quality of life.

Although in that case it was more "I Only Have Mouths And All I Can Do is Scream". You get my point.
    Hopefully Hickman will enforce that mutations are actually powers because the whole idea that they are totally debilitating is just counterintuitive. The Morlocks weren’t too bad, but even they felt like a plot device.

The underlying logic of mutant powers was that they would be related to empowering dispossessed or traumatised teens. The notion that they are random was always a misunderstanding, confusing the X-Gene with genetics. The mutation IS the X-Gene and that manifests in a manner related to a coming of age event.

This would imply that mouth for eyes kid would certainly not have had that mutation if it wasn’t for Now More Mutants. Instead it implies that Mothervine went badly wrong and forced people to express their X-Gene unnaturally and not at a coming of age moment.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Mothervine was supposed to only act on people whose X-Gene was repressed somehow. It turning anyone into a mutant was not part of the plan.
    But it was a crackpot plan from the wrong universe. It didn’t work as expected and the mutations went badly wrong. The story was a carryover from Bunn’s Ultimate Universe work. It was never going to work properly.

I feel like this is actually more discussion than anyone ever gave Blue at the time. That was an underrated run all around, especially on these boards.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Because Blue was just... serviceable. It was good, don't get me wrong, but it was just good so at first people talked over it about the ridiculousness that was Gold and then it was outshone by Red.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Because Blue was just... serviceable. It was good, don't get me wrong, but it was just good so at first people talked over it about the ridiculousness that was Gold and then it was outshone by Red.
    From my perspective Blue was better than both, but mostly people moaned about the O5, who I thought were great but ended up being wasted anyway, when editorial course corrected and threw their whole point away.

When editors listened too closely to fans, their moans of pointlessness became a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    From my perspective Blue was better than both, but mostly people moaned about the O5, who I thought were great but ended up being wasted anyway, when editorial course corrected and threw their whole point away.

When editors listened too closely to fans, their moans of pointlessness became a self-fulfilling prophesy.
    When we had the Polaris led team without the O5 it was much better imo.

If they let Bunn turn the O5 into the new Exiles it would have been very cool though.

BANNED

The Polaris stuff was weak filler that did her no favors. But the entire book was filler AFAIC.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    When we had the Polaris led team without the O5 it was much better imo.
    This. Bunn's team ideas are actually interesting , he's like one of us where he tries to combine characters in new ways, uses ones that you need deep knowledge to care about, but also uses Alisters too.

I just wish it had gone on longer than 4 issues of course. Still Lorna's best showing in a while, it fixed her in many ways (re established a familial/working relationship with her dad Magneto, showed her as powerful, showed her as competent, showed her as a team leader). It also managed to touch on her relationship with Havok without letting it dominate her story too badly or force her back in with him. In general BLUE is super underrated, but so is Bunn's Uncanny as well. Bunn's problem is I think lack of ego, he tries to write in a very accomodating way to the general continuity while SUBTLY shifting it in a way he wants. He needed way more issues in both books for it to truly "pay off" in a way for general fans to notice.

(Note: he also fixed Raven, sure you can call it gimmicky but SOMETHING had to be done with her. And both Raven and Lorna's portrayals so far in HoX/PoX/DoX seem to stem from Bunn's work so it does live on that way. It also lives on in the Betsy-Erik conflict, not that I think that's a great thing, I enjoyed their partnership. But it shows some things Bunn did are at least being picked up and carried forward in this new era. Regrettably doesn't extend to his created character Briar Rahleigh. She was great as a sort of "hard to pin down" type character, a human who wasn't really pro mutant but was an ally of Magneto for other reasons. We could use more human characters in X-books, like noteworthy developed ones I mean. Also doesn't seem to extend to his work on changing Elixir into a bit darker, but who knows, he just hasn't been shown at all yet.)
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 11-22-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    The Polaris stuff was weak filler that did her no favors. But the entire book was filler AFAIC.
    If they had let someone actually progress the O5 plot such that it had a tangible effect upon the current timeline then it might not have been. This is what happens when high profile writers get bumped off of books with long term plans (in this case Bendis).