Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

There’s a way to light dark skin without lightening their entire tone.

https://petapixel.com/2017/09/14/loo...-black-actors/

But who do we think will be the Black Bishop? I’m thinking mayyyyyyybbeeeeeeeeeeee Shinobi or Empath (someone on this board said it and it kind of makes sense)? If it’s Shinobi then it adds to the Gay(tm) factor of this book.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    We can all agree it happens often at least.
    Exactly and I doubt it’s ever due to white washing. I mean to what end is coloring a black character white for a single panel to a racist or racist agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    There’s a way to light dark skin without lightening their entire tone.

https://petapixel.com/2017/09/14/loo...-black-actors/

But who do we think will be the Black Bishop? I’m thinking mayyyyyyybbeeeeeeeeeeee Shinobi or Empath (someone on this board said it and it kind of makes sense)? If it’s Shinobi then it adds to the Gay(tm) factor of this book.
    I like the Shinobi idea! Miss that guy from the 90s. Best guess I can think of.

Not everything has to be related to an agenda, though. Not every instance of people calling stuff out means we’re trying to unravel some conglomerate scheme. Sometimes something is just unintentionally or unconsciously racist and that isn’t the end of the world, just address and fix it.

This excuse is a new one. What about making Storm, Bishop, and Gateway ashy gives them a “dynamic 3 dimensional image”?
    Because then they look like they are the same depth because they have the same lighting. Honestly you have to try pretty hard to ignore several commonly used coloring concepts to say yup they white washed him.

There have been books with clear examples of white washing but this isnt it. Bishop and Storm were both colored darker than their white counterparts and are undeniably black. They may have been light in a couple of panels towards the end but that's been explained as the lighting. The colorist failed in getting the range right but thats not consistent with how they were colored in 90% of the issue under regular circumstances. Im all for calling whitewashing and holding Marvel accountable when they do it but this is nitpicking IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Exactly and I doubt it’s ever due to white washing. I mean to what end is coloring a black character white for a single panel to a racist or racist agenda?
    It's happened, it's a conscious choice and many artists have come forward about it. Just off the top of my head.

https://thenib.com/lighten-up-4f7f96ca8a7e

And we really should be past the point of asking "why would *any company ever* want to diminish black/brown people". Im sure they will find the right technique to color dark skin next time a black villain shows up

Not everything has to be related to an agenda, though. Not every instance of people calling stuff out means we’re trying to unravel some conglomerate scheme. Sometimes something is just unintentionally or unconsciously racist and that isn’t the end of the world, just address and fix it.
    Ah I get you now. I mean I get where you are coming from. Just sharing a little of what I saw going on. And best believe if they actually turned Gateway white I’d be ticked!

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    It's happened, it's a conscious choice and many artists have come forward about it. Just off the top of my head.

https://thenib.com/lighten-up-4f7f96ca8a7e

And we really should be past the point of asking "why would *any company ever* want to diminish black/brown people". Im sure they will find the right technique to color dark skin next time a black villain shows up
    I agree with the first part but the second is so eye rollingly bad. First I’m sure all things the same Gateway would have been colored that way as a villain.

Awesome screen name though!

Listen I get it. I just think we can safely assume this is due to a bad coloring choice or error.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Thoughts:

Glad Kate is embracing her new life and new role

I feel they are overdoing the false drama over Xavier "death" (makes me wonder again if X planned this and part of it involved pushing Kate into accepting Emma's offer maybe, as well as creation of an X-Force squad)

I get the vibe Shaw is the victim and Emma the bully, more than she is justified

Kate ACTUALLY has those finger tatts OMG LOL.... amazing

Well I'm gonna keep reading this book just to find out how far they let new Kate go... will she start murders soon or what? Let's find out :-D

Edit: Oh yeah that data page showing the hierarchy of Hellfire Trading Company was good. Nice to know Christian Frost is already a Bishop, other 2 yet to be picked, and there will be 3 Knights too. Nice !
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Listen I get it. I just think we can safely assume this is due to a bad coloring choice or error.
    Or unconscious bias which is, historically, pretty prevalent with colorists especially the ones working on X-books, ironically enough.

This book has swagger, I’m digging it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-20-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was another really fun issue, with some interesting set up for future issues. Shaw is absolutely going to be hitting back soon. Lolli's art is a great fit for the book, very dynamic and expressive. St. John, what did you do to your face?!

Wyngarde for Black Bishop, Callisto for White Knight, and Rachel will probably be in the Red Court.

The Krakoan tagline for next issue was "Queer". Hopefully Duggan delivers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This books has swagger, I’m digging it.
    Agreed. Whitewashing aside, this was a fun issue. I still dislike Pryde but Duggan is making headway in that department. Loving her new look too. So good.