Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I understand disliking Sins Past and the mysticism stuff attachment to Spider-Man, besides those I think his run is aces.
    Agreed. Thought he had a really good run. The magic/mysticism theme to his run never resonated with me though. I give him credit for attempting something different but it just never fit Spider-Man. I absolutely hated the entire concept that it was somehow fate and Peter was the chosen one in sense. One of the more appealing aspects to the character was that it could have been anyone that the Spider bit. There was nothing special of fateful about his origin.z

JMS on the bright side had some fantastic stories though during the run. His first Morlun arc is a flat out classic to me. His characterization for Peter was great and he also wrote one of the better marriages. He also did the impossible task of making Aunt May actually interesting.

All in all I liked his run especially when you compare it to what came after with Slott. However It can’t be ignored that he did write Sins past, the other and OMD. Just 3 absolutely atrocious storylines and one could make a strong argument that those 3 are the worst Spider-Man stories ever.
    Last edited by RD155; 11-20-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Post JMS/JRJR - hit and miss, Sins Past and One More Day are terrible, really wretched. The second half of JMS run got tied into events.
    Do you know that wasn't JMS's fault. In original plans - Sarah and Gabriel should be children of Gwen and Peter/Spidey. But - Marvel change his plans, because they think - it's be not lees awkwardly. Well, you know - Peter married on MJ, but he learn about his children from his first love. And they make - more awkwardly.

Quote Originally Posted by Undergrizer View Post
    Do you know that wasn't JMS's fault. In original plans - Sarah and Gabriel should be children of Gwen and Peter/Spidey. But - Marvel change his plans, because they think - it's be not lees awkwardly. Well, you know - Peter married on MJ, but he learn about his children from his first love. And they make - more awkwardly.
    It'd mean that Gwen had kids in secret and never told Peter for whatever reason, it'd be just weird, and I doubt the story would be much better.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    JMS' run has multiple parts:

Part 1 - The 38 issues with JRJR from ASM (Vol.2) #30-58, then ASM (Vol.1 original numbering)#500-508.

Interval - Sins' Past (ASM#509-512).

Part 2 - Spider-Man at Avengers Tower which ties into Civil War (lead-in and tie-ins), followed with Back in Black and terminating (and I mean all senses of the word) with OMD.

There is not a single bad issue in Part 1. Multiple classic issues.
    -- "Coming Home"
    -- The 9/11 Issue
    -- "The Conversation"
    -- "Doomed Affairs"
    -- "ASM#500"
    -- "The Book of Ezekiel"

-- The Digger Issue is also an excellent story. Likewise, the 2-Part Loki story with Fiona Avery probably did a lot to influence the modern Loki's conversion to cool anti-hero since Loki's characterization there is very much the ancestor to Hiddleston/Gillen's/Ewing's take on the character.

Then right after JRJR left, you had Sins' Past, which is bad all around.

Part 2 - Spider-Man at Avengers Tower is less consistent and less good as Part One. There are still wonderful good issues, like Spider-Man versus Hydra is an excellent story that basically works as "this is what Spider-Man can do for the Avengers". The lead-in issues to Civil War are also well done as is the Civil War tie-ins. I mean one of Captain America's all-time greatest moments comes in a Spider-Man comic (ASM #537), aka the 'you move speech".

And then there's BACK IN BLACK, which is a flat out masterpiece. It's JMS lashing out via Peter his anger at having to write OMD, his anger at him not being able to continue being as awesome as he is here, this is basically Spider-Man at his lowest ebb but also at his highest high at the same time. In that respects it's basically a long-extended version of ASM#122, and the fight between Spider-Man and Kingpin is awesome.

So on the whole JMS' run is one of the greats. I'd rank it above Michelinie's which also went on too long and got less consistent over time, over Defalco (which is also remembered largely for the character work). And most definitely way above BND and Slott's entire nosh. I still think it's better than Spencer's as well.

To me this is the last time Peter, MJ, and Aunt May were really Peter, MJ, Aunt May in an absolute real continuous to AF#15 sense.
    This is exactly right. I will say, being born in 1987 and not reading the 60's or 70's yet when Sin's Past came out, that story was entertaining. I'm not fond of it now, but at the time, it was intense. It raised the stakes, it put real tension on Pete and MJ's marriage, it continued JMS' more mature, aged version of Peter. I didn't hate it at the time. The low point for me was The Other, but right that we got real drama and intensity in The War at Home and Black in Black. The book hasn't had that intensity or stakes or drama since, in my opinion.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I will rank JMS Number 5 ( behind Ditko, Romita Conway ( despite Clone Saga) and Stern). Spencer has a chance to pass him though. As for Slott: I put him last. I give him credit for Spider-Island and RYV and that is all I liked.
    I agree with all that but Spencer. Spencer's run is overrated. Pete's too young and it's silly he's back in College. He put Pete and MJ back together way too fast. I loved the marriage and I like them together so it felt good almost from an ego perspective and screw you to the last regime, but it was forced. I love the build-up to Kindred. It's been a lot of fun but there have also been filler issues, blah issues, and the first event Hunted, was whatever for me. I'm rooting for Spencer. It hasn't been bad but better than JMS? No shot.

There were two earlier polls on this topic that'll have some insight on this.

How would you rate the JMS/ Romita Jr run?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ht=Straczynski

How would you rate the second half of the run?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ht=Straczynski
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Personally i rate it at the bottom for me. I have yet to read from asm 320-450 (ish) and from superior spiderman-current so i cant judge anything newer.

I will give credit that his first story arcs were good.

I came back to comics the first time and started with sins past part 1 and was intrigued by the possiblity of peter having a child and felt intensity at the end of part 1. I was not familiar with who gwen stacy was or how poorly she was being treated. By the time the story was over i felt it was just a lame story and cop out.

As i read from asm 1and up i realized just how bad this story really was. As this happened i kept reading asm during jms run and felt how boring it was, there was no classic rogues, aside from mj and aunt may all the classic supporting characters were absent. While jms run was going on i thought marvel knights and ultimate spidey were much better titles

When bnd started i thoroughly started enjoying spiderman again. I disliked harry being brought back and all peters friends being mind wiped but finally jonah, robbie and others were back in fun stories.

I am an old poster who forgot his log in and i remember the lols from the anti bnders. Those were some days back when people claimed to not read spiderman and argued in the threads but it was clear they were reading it still

I like to think the run is just those first 38 issues. The first story is one of the best Spidey stories ever to me. It feels like the run with JRJR is pretty pure, it feels like what JMS wanted to tell pretty much unabated. I don't much care for thinking about the 2nd half of the run. I mean it starts off from there almost at the very bottom of the barrel with Sins Past, then it's really a mix of ok to terrible controversy after controversy with The Other, and One More Day. Wasn't a big fan of the Back in Black or Civil War stuff. I was losing interest at the time with all of that because Peter died and his life became crappier and crappier within the span of a year or two and it wasn't fun to read, it was just dark with not much else middle ground.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

JMS is one of my favourite Spider-man writers, and probably the only reason I ever returned to the character after the Byrne reboot. The vast majority of the run is fantastic and the depth of character is above the capabilities of most regular writers.

I liked that JMS, well known as a sci-fi guy, took Spider-man in a mystic direction adding additional layers to Spider-man's character, origin and powers.

Sins past aside, which while bad is still competently written.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Loved it! One of my favorite Spider-Man writers and one of my favorite Spider-Man runs. JMS gave us a grown and mature Peter, not a man child which Marvel seems to want to beat us to death with. I enjoyed the teaching angle, I enjoyed the marriage and May knowing that Peter is Spider-Man, and I even enjoyed most of the new elements that JMS added.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Loved it! One of my favorite Spider-Man writers and one of my favorite Spider-Man runs. JMS gave us a grown and mature Peter, not a man child which Marvel seems to want to beat us to death with. I enjoyed the teaching angle, I enjoyed the marriage and May knowing that Peter is Spider-Man, and I even enjoyed most of the new elements that JMS added.
    This can’t be stressed enough. He wrote one of the more mature versions of Peter Parker. He showed that writing an adult mature version of the character could work. Then shortly after that we had to deal with all of Slotts mess with regressing the character back to this annoying man child. The mystical elements added to his origin by JMS I will never agree with though because they just went so far against the core of who Spider-Man is.

Also, I feel his run as a whole wasn’t appreciated at the time. If people knew what would come soon after, I think we would have damn near rioted for him to stay on the title .
    Last edited by RD155; 11-21-2019 at 07:51 AM.

I didn't care for his run at all. He occasionally had a few good issues here and there but there were far more misses than hits.

He wrote Peter and Mj like they had suddenly aged ten years, turned Aunt May into a different character and otherwise ignored the entire supporting cast.

He also ignored most of Spidey's villains. In their place he tended to use pale copies of the classic villains and weird mystic things that didn't fit in at all, to the point of completly changing Spider-man's origin.

Even Morlun was more of a plot devise under him than an actual character, just another "The Most Powerful Villain Spider-Man has ever fought!" otherwise he was just Morbius until other writers got a hold of him.

I'm also really not too fond of how he kept whining that the things people hated most in the run weren't his fault.

There are parts of it that I put up there with the best all-time Spider-Man stories.

The second half wasn't as good as the first half, largely because of editorial interference especially with OMD. JMS would have gotten rid of some of the truly out there stuff he wrote, like Sins Past, had he been able to write OMD the way he wanted.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    There are parts of it that I put up there with the best all-time Spider-Man stories.

The second half wasn't as good as the first half, largely because of editorial interference especially with OMD. JMS would have gotten rid of some of the truly out there stuff he wrote, like Sins Past, had he been able to write OMD the way he wanted.
    How did he want to write OMD?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm also really not too fond of how he kept whining that the things people hated most in the run weren't his fault.
    JMS has always taken responsibility for Sins’ Past as recently as Marvel Comics #1000 in fact.

Stuff like The Other and OMD he has put on editorial. And if it’s true then it’s true.