Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Enjoyed most of it, especially in the beginning. But then again, after years with Howard Mackie I think anything would have felt new, fresh and exciting at the time. Didn't like Sins Past; it was just a bad and unneccessary idea. Another typical comic-book "shock-twist" by trying to shoehorn in something that we are suppose to accept happened a long time ago even if there never was one single hint at it prior to this story. As for One More Day I think it's safe to say that JMS just was in the wrong place at the wrong time when Marvel decided to undo the marriage. I don't think any writer would be at their creative best under such circumstances.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    Enjoyed most of it, especially in the beginning. But then again, after years with Howard Mackie I think anything would have felt new, fresh and exciting at the time. Didn't like Sins Past; it was just a bad and unneccessary idea. Another typical comic-book "shock-twist" by trying to shoehorn in something that we are suppose to accept happened a long time ago even if there never was one single hint at it prior to this story. As for One More Day I think it's safe to say that JMS just was in the wrong place at the wrong time when Marvel decided to undo the marriage. I don't think any writer would be at their creative best under such circumstances.
    I’m re-reading the run in omnibus’ right now and I forgot how refreshing it is to read a more mature, adult version of peter in the main title. Mourlun was a great villain before he became overexposed in the spiderverse event. Plus it was wonderful to have Aunt May learn Peter is Spidey, seeing her struggle and then accept it. Great development for their relationship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    I’m re-reading the run in omnibus’ right now and I forgot how refreshing it is to read a more mature, adult version of peter in the main title. Mourlun was a great villain before he became overexposed in the spiderverse event. Plus it was wonderful to have Aunt May learn Peter is Spidey, seeing her struggle and then accept it. Great development for their relationship.
    I re-read JMS' run in Omnibus recently. Quite aside from the characterization of the three leads (Peter, MJ, Aunt May) who JMS made into fully realized characters more than any other writer, in my view, what I love about his run is his incredible economy and detail. There are always, even in the battle with Morlun, moments where JMS does a panel aside or two with background characters here and there. Just one or two-line speaking civilians. It's kind of remarkable how often he did that.

I think that shows JMS' background in TV, where obviously he picked up the value and importance of making background and walk-on parts memorable and interesting.

There's that famous bit of that guy who gives popcorn to Peter as he walks horizontally up a building. That bit in LA where Peter crawls up the apartment to MJ's suite, and passes by a cross-dressing dude and they go, "I'll keep quiet if you will".

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I re-read JMS' run in Omnibus recently. Quite aside from the characterization of the three leads (Peter, MJ, Aunt May) who JMS made into fully realized characters more than any other writer, in my view, what I love about his run is his incredible economy and detail. There are always, even in the battle with Morlun, moments where JMS does a panel aside or two with background characters here and there. Just one or two-line speaking civilians. It's kind of remarkable how often he did that.

I think that shows JMS' background in TV, where obviously he picked up the value and importance of making background and walk-on parts memorable and interesting.

There's that famous bit of that guy who gives popcorn to Peter as he walks horizontally up a building. That bit in LA where Peter crawls up the apartment to MJ's suite, and passes by a cross-dressing dude and they go, "I'll keep quiet if you will".
    Exactly. JMS’ Spidey Jokes are more grounded and funny instead of groan inducing. Peter was still a nerd, but he was cooler about it( if that makes sense) I also loved the return to peter solving Street level problems( like when he tries to help one of his struggling students get a better home life), something that had been missing from portrayals of the character for years.

JMS run on Spider-Man is my absolute favorite. Many of you mentioned why: the characterization & development of the leads is something that no writer has done in years, the humor, and how his portrayal of Doctor Strange (another one of my favorite characters).

His run also contains one of my favorite Marvel moments, when Peter beats the Kingpin within an inch of his life. This is something that should have happened a long time ago.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I read his run up to and including Sins Past.
    I quit after that.
    To be honest the only story I remember is Sins Past.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

As soon as JRJR left it dipped in quality, for me (Civil War/Back in Black being an exception - but they’re vastly different to anything so they very much stand on their own)
    Morlun and Ezekiel were fine additions. I liked how Straczynski wasn’t afraid in those JRJR years to keep blasting out the new foes instead of old ones.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    Morlun would have been best served if he'd never showed up again after his first arc IMO. Ezekiel works better as a recurring character.

I think of teaching as Peter's ideal job. We get the opportunity to see him being successful at a profession which, in spite of all the lip-service, most people take for granted and often look down on. Which, you know, is Spider-Man's thing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Morlun would have been best served if he'd never showed up again after his first arc IMO. Ezekiel works better as a recurring character.

I think of teaching as Peter's ideal job. We get the opportunity to see him being successful at a profession which, in spite of all the lip-service, most people take for granted and often look down on. Which, you know, is Spider-Man's thing.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Being a science teacher fits Peter like a glove. Plus, it’s a job where he can be financially stable without being super rich. It’s progression but also keeps him grounded. And it emphasizes how he can help people as peter instead of always relying solely on his powers to solve problems.

Astonishing Member

JMS' social commentary on teachers was pretty nuanced. He brought attention to systemic problems in the education system while also challenging preconceived notions about teachers through Peter.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Been re-reading it myself, and man, there are so many great interactions. Nearly every issue and they're all funny.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

Agree with everything in this post. Has Ezekiel ever properly back following this run? I know he’s appeared here and there...

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

JMS' run has multiple parts:

Part 1 - The 38 issues with JRJR from ASM (Vol.2) #30-58, then ASM (Vol.1 original numbering)#500-508.

Interval - Sins' Past (ASM#509-512).

Part 2 - Spider-Man at Avengers Tower which ties into Civil War (lead-in and tie-ins), followed with Back in Black and terminating (and I mean all senses of the word) with OMD.

There is not a single bad issue in Part 1. Multiple classic issues.
    -- "Coming Home"
    -- The 9/11 Issue
    -- "The Conversation"
    -- "Doomed Affairs"
    -- "ASM#500"
    -- "The Book of Ezekiel"

-- The Digger Issue is also an excellent story. Likewise, the 2-Part Loki story with Fiona Avery probably did a lot to influence the modern Loki's conversion to cool anti-hero since Loki's characterization there is very much the ancestor to Hiddleston/Gillen's/Ewing's take on the character.

Then right after JRJR left, you had Sins' Past, which is bad all around.
    Anyone know what collections cover this run? Preferably HC's?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Anyone know what collections cover this run? Preferably HC's?
    I think there are four large collections but they get expensive and tricky to track down. My recommendation would be to purchase the individual TPB. That was what I did and I found each copy relatively cheap on ebay. The only one you will probably have trouble with is, Back in Black. Those individual issues and TPB are on the expensive/rare side.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Few wrote adult Peter that good. While many modern runs try to capture that Ditko/Lee feel, most don't get past the context of the stories, JMS took Peter in his natural progression. He is an adult experienced Superhero who is smart, handsome,super-powered and dates a smart,loving, beautiful model. He is not a scrawny inexperienced teenager nerd anymore. JMS doesn't fall into the trappings of making Peter's life a constant struggle dubing it "Parker Luck" because Peter has to be miserable because Lee and Ditko did it. JMS also finally reaches Peter's and May's releationship to its natural conclusion. In terms of story. I remember that when it came out, people had some problems with the themes. JMS introduces a mystical element that implies Peter's accident that turned him super was fate but he never retcons something and the idea is left more as hypothesis and a reading of Peter life's from an exterior character. Personally I liked the angle as a side-thing, as a alternative that is never comfirmed and allows some different storytelling without becoming the norm.

It does go downhill when JRJR leaves though. Sin's Past is a storyline that makes the mind wonder how anyone thought it was a good idea. And the event tie ins never reach the height of the JRJR era. While Back in Black, is a cool storyline, it is cool because it is the oddity and it shouldn't been the norm, especially not for spider-man. I really can't blame the guy for One More Day because he didn't want to write it in the first place.

I really do believe it is the best run on the mainstream version of Pete in the 00s. It doesn't fall into the trappings many Spider-man stories do. It adds to the mythology and expands the material and the bad stuff are self-contained so you don't have to bother with them.

Heavy recommend as long as JRJR does the art.