Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That was disjointed as hell.

boat > selphies > land > druids > tower > shogo > attack > apocalypse > dragon > end.

art was on point. still no Rictor.

5/10.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

There's not much good but the art was pretty well done. Much better than X-Men and Marauders.

Other than that ....? The plot seems like forced fantasy that doesn't make much sense.

Like literally why is Jubilee here and with the baby?

The writer is just using whoever they want but it doesn't feel coherent right now. Certain characters just feel there. Rictor is probably going to be the same. Someone who just gets shoved in.

There's just not much about the Morgan Le Fay stuff to hook you or make it interesting.

I think Tini is trying to do old school compression to get in as much stuff possible. This is why you need editors to say stuff like "Leave this Jamie **** for later" and "Where are you going with this Shogo drama?"
    "Cable was right!"

I love Apocalypse here. He's definitely the star and moves everyone around as their pawns. Marcus To is great.
    But yeah, things move from A to B to C pretty fast, it's pretty easy to get lost. I had to reread it twice.

with amount that people have brought it up and with the reread. I agree the Jubilee/Shogo thing is not needed.

Why did they need to go to the lighthouse? Did someone say Apocalypse sent them there?

Gambit and Rogue need to be sent to the lighthouse? Why?

I'd rather Meggan be here.

Jubilee does not need to be here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That was disjointed as hell.

boat > selphies > land > druids > tower > shogo > attack > apocalypse > dragon > end.

art was on point. still no Rictor.

5/10.
    Kind of weird that a member of the core cast is still missing in the second issue. At least X-Force had only Quire unaccounted.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    with amount that people have brought it up and with the reread. I agree the Jubilee/Shogo thing is not needed.

Why did they need to go to the lighthouse? Did someone say Apocalypse sent them there?

Probably to sell this as a team book. It almost feels like it would have worked better as a Psylocke solo or at least brought in more characters with actual Excalibur ties. This is the wrong cast for this plot

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Kind of weird that a member of the core cast is still missing in the second issue. At least X-Force had only Quire unaccounted.
    reminds me of X-men Red.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    reminds me of X-men Red.
    At least Gambit and Storm were always sold as the "surprise members". Rictor is supposed to be one of our main guys here and not even a mention of him so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

The reader has to assume:
    Betsy can't get back to Brian and Morganna through the portal Brian used in #1 so she goes back to her ancestral home for an alternate way?
    Gambit's tagging along cuz Morganna is the cause for Rogue's curse?

Might have to dock this down to 3/10.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

I really want to like this book but the storyline, the artwork, the concept and character interactions feels mediocre at best. A character of Apocalypse’s caliber deserves better than this. He’s better off with sinister, psylocke, laura and cable in Fallen Angels. The mutants have enough stuff going on this realm to worry about the other world crap. I feel so bad for Betsy. She deserves better. Gambit, Rogue and Jubilee feels so out of place.

Spectacular Member

I think Excalibur is one of the least outstanding in DOX series, but its quality is also qualified. Especially considering that for nearly a decade before DOX, 99 percent of X-books gave me the feeling that reading them was a waste of my life, compared to my satisfaction with Excalibur...

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

The book was fine, but was definitely compressed. Howard is trying to get somewhere in a hurry. Gambit's dialog was a little annoying. The worrying and Krakoan gate stuff was a little grating--like the problem existed to just create a reason for Shogo to get to the lighthouse, and then into Otherworld. I hope the rest of the book can just breathe, because it's otherwise fine and promising. Still in my pull list.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I think Tini is trying to do old school compression to get in as much stuff possible. This is why you need editors to say stuff like "Leave this Jamie **** for later" and "Where are you going with this Shogo drama?"
    Yeah, 100% some of the stuff in this book didn't need to be in there, or could have been done better (have the invisible druids show up intentionally to recognize Braddock as Captain Britain, leaving out confusion to their presence and making a smoother avenue to the jokes of Betsy talking to invisible people.. because they'd be invisible, pledging-subservience-people).

But trusting marvel editors to do anything is.. yeah.

Im sticking with it for Betsy.

I'm hoping this series is good for her.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    The book was fine, but was definitely compressed. Howard is trying to get somewhere in a hurry. Gambit's dialog was a little annoying. The worrying and Krakoan gate stuff was a little grating--like the problem existed to just create a reason for Shogo to get to the lighthouse, and then into Otherworld. I hope the rest of the book can just breathe, because it's otherwise fine and promising. Still in my pull list.
    Yeah, that’s my feeling too.
    Still really not sure what Rogue, Gambit and Jubilee are doing there, can’t see this being the sort of book where they’d shine, I would have thought more magically oriented characters would have been a better fit?
    I’m still willing to give it time to develop, mostly as I’m a CB/Otherworld fan.