Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    No one's really talking about what happened in the issue.

Are there things you guys liked or didn't like other than the dialogue and character beats?
    The concepts in this book are very nice. Particularly the use of mythology and all that. The setup is interesting enough. It's the kind of stuff that, on paper, should fill your heart with a sense of wonder and adventure.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    No one's really talking about what happened in the issue.

Are there things you guys liked or didn't like other than the dialogue and character beats?
    The progression this issue just didn't flow well at all. Suddenly they're attacked by 'seal creatures' as they call them, then she hops to the island and they're safe. Then there's invisible people. Then everyone gets told not to do stuff and does it. Then they fight. Then they go to otherworld. The pace felt super rushed compared to the first issue which felt like it was.. better, not perfect, but more cohesive. This was just like railroading everybody along the plot, it felt like. It didn't help that it seemed like everyone was saying their feelings instead of showing them. "I am worried about shogo. I am going to go get shogo." "No, you can't go get shogo." "Okay." Then: "I am going to go get shogo."

Disagree on the art being bad, I love it so far. It's not meant to be horrific in nature AFAIK.. it's more of a mystical fairy tale than a horror piece or especially scary. Flying robed magi don't make it nightmarish, really. And we all know they're human magi besides.

But it doesn't make much sense why Betsy would just defer to Apocalypse's plan and seemingly not have much of one of her own, but that could just as well be what I've already said (railroading, speaking things instead of showing them).

I hope the next issue slows down a bit to let the character interactions feel better, otherwise this might be a slog to read through.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    The red-headed Druid girl was iconic. She should get her own solo.
    i got my eyes on the sword carrying dream wolf, I feel like she's going places.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    The progression this issue just didn't flow well at all. Suddenly they're attacked by 'seal creatures' as they call them, then she hops to the island and they're safe. Then there's invisible people. Then everyone gets told not to do stuff and does it. Then they fight. Then they go to otherworld. The pace felt super rushed compared to the first issue which felt like it was.. better, not perfect, but more cohesive. This was just like railroading everybody along the plot, it felt like. It didn't help that it seemed like everyone was saying their feelings instead of showing them. "I am worried about shogo. I am going to go get shogo." "No, you can't go get shogo." "Okay." Then: "I am going to go get shogo."

Disagree on the art being bad, I love it so far. It's not meant to be horrific in nature AFAIK.. it's more of a mystical fairy tale than a horror piece or especially scary. Flying robed magi don't make it nightmarish, really. And we all know they're human magi besides.

But it doesn't make much sense why Betsy would just defer to Apocalypse's plan and seemingly not have much of one of her own, but that could just as well be what I've already said (railroading, speaking things instead of showing them).

I hope the next issue slows down a bit to let the character interactions feel better, otherwise this might be a slog to read through.
    I think Betsy was surprised by what Apocalyose said. It's her brother, Poccy knew she would rush to save him

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I liked redhead the guy more.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    The team for the next Dawn of X book, tbh.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I think Betsy was surprised by what Apocalyose said. It's her brother, Poccy knew she would rush to save him
    Yes, but then why didn't they just do that to begin with? why did they enlist Kitty's help to get Rogue to the (destroyed) lighthouse before jumping back to Otherworld to save Brian? Why not leave Rogue in Krakoa and go save him immediately instead of wasting time with Rogue's travel? And why is it that travel was shown to be restricted out of krakoa in Fallen Angels a week prior due to Charles' death and there's zero mention of it for all of them in this book?

I don't think the book made it clear the need for their actions at all. She wasn't looking for the druid's recognition or approval but got it anyway, but what does that matter? etc etc

I have such mixed feelings about this book.

I love the concept of it. I love the idea that Betsy is now Captain Britain, and is going on this sweeping mystical quest with symbolic animals and riddling altars. I love the use of British folklore, though, thinking about it, the Selkies confuse me. They are more tragic than terrifying, as they usually have their skins stolen by a human lover. I loved the transformation of the two mutants into the Ireland. And I thought the Druid's lullaby was beautiful.

But, man, the characterization of everyone who isn't Betsy or A is dire. Gambit and Jubilee have the same single characteristic between them, and it is getting old. And Rogue should never just lie there and glows. If you can replace a character with a literal piece of furniture, you aren't doing them justice.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Between this and Pokemon, sword-carrying wolves are finally getting the recognition they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    Yes, but then why didn't they just do that to begin with? why did they enlist Kitty's help to get Rogue to the (destroyed) lighthouse before jumping back to Otherworld to save Brian? Why not leave Rogue in Krakoa and go save him immediately instead of wasting time with Rogue's travel? And why is it that travel was shown to be restricted out of krakoa in Fallen Angels a week prior due to Charles' death and there's zero mention of it for all of them in this book?

I don't think the book made it clear the need for their actions at all. She wasn't looking for the druid's recognition or approval but got it anyway, but what does that matter? etc etc
    It is a minor plot hole or not. depends how you see that. She was trying to help Rogue first.

Now she has the information that the longer Brian stays in morgan control, more of himself is lost and it can be permanent if he stays too long in Morgan power.

Idk, robed magi flying in to kill me after they burnt my house down seems kind of nightmarish. I could just be a punk though.

Betsy revealing her stallion knees after jumping off the lighthouse was the best part of this issue.

There’s a sinister giggle that comes from me everytime ••[A]•• talks about colonizing Britain. The way the characters enter and exit the story feels off, like Captain Britain just kinda told Kate to leave so she could have time to be in Marauders #2 while Jubilee leaves to get Shogo just because even though there’s a thousand other people that she could leave him (Pixie? Synch?? Skin?? Penance and the Penance Twins? Bling!?) with so I don’t know why she keeps focusing on Apocalypse being the only one to watch him.

Besides story movements being a little off and the chart pages being utterly indecipherable, it’s a pretty fun book that I’m still looking forward to.

I have to agree that the art is great. But it's too clean and pretty.

Maybe he needs to change his layouts.

Its better the Leinul Yu's in my opinion.

I hope they would bring in someone like Jerome Opena or a different colorist.

I get they are trying to make it bright for fantasy elements but it's not working as much as they think.

BANNED

This was Good as well, but Gambit came off to me as a whiny guy and it got annoying.

So I think going by the first 2 issues. And the interviews that the editors and writers have had:

Tini definitely wanted to write Apocalypse.

She told us the Betsy was suggested to her. (Which makes sense in an Excalibur book and editorial is definitely pushing to make sure Betsy/'Kwannon' are viewed differently)

Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Rictor are not her priority.

This is just my opinion.

We know that Tini is working closely with Jonathan Hickman so I think all things Apocalypse are gonna play a huge role down the line.

So what she needs to do is get Rogue and Gambits greatest hits and get a little more in tune with their voices.

She needs to make sure each charcters get some spotlight in each issue. (Doesnt have to be big) Jubilee and Gambit have been doing the same thing for 2 issues.

I want this book to succeed because bias I love me my Betsy.

And I actually do want to see her interactions with Gambit, Rogue, Apoc, and Jubilee.

Although I do think her and Gambit did have a good moment in this issue.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

I’m scratching my head at how the tone between Gambit, Betsy & Jubilee could be so off. Like, those three should have a very natural banter between them and they come off almost as strangers. The dialogue doesn’t suffer from being stiff & awkward like Hickman’s but it’s so uncomfortable overall.

Having recently seen Robert Eggers’ The Lighthouse, I did giggle at Rogue becoming the beacon. I was wondering what Ephraim saw.
    Last edited by PeachFlavoredXanax; 11-20-2019 at 09:09 AM.