Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

I love that my girl Betsy is getting a lot of focus.

But I've been reading this issue a lot.

Gambit and Jubilee are gonna some scene stealing scenes soon.

And I'm hoping Rogue isnt out of commission for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

I totally agree Bets is due some focus and I don't begrudge her that. As the major POV character we have a pretty clear understanding of what her motivation is here.

And Apocalypse is also very clear.

But I think that could have been accomplished with Gambit and Jubilee too by adding just a couple small lines of dialogue to steer it. We even have a great opportunity with Kate as an outside character as an excuse to have some discourse between characters explaining what they're doing and why. And that really should be something editing noticed.

But yeah, no sense in continuing to harp on it. I just hope it comes together better moving forward and maybe this will be a learning opportunity for the creators.

I am excited for dragon baby and for Rogue to eventually emerge from being a topiary.

edit: wrong thread lol
    Last edited by Psycwave; 11-22-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

I just want one person, on panel to acknowledge that gambit was right about apocalypse...even if the ending is ‘he was doing all of this for the greater good of Krakoa’ , he was still using everyone.

Extraordinary Member

I am still not convinced Apocalypse has done much actively, not even planting the gate in Otherworld. Betsy just questions him but we do not get any real answer, and modern comics are too often made up of throwaway comments just meant to make drama and not actually move the story. Someone could just be trying to turn the 'team' against him.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Ok, but what specifically does taking Rogue here hope to accomplish? They don't even seem to know what she absorbed or what's happening with her. I can only assume it's just a last ditch effort to use magic to fix a magical problem? And why was that their first strategy? Or was it?

I guess my point is that the narrator needs to give the reader a little more information here. And I read that Gold Annual, so I'm familiar with what the Lighthouse is in general. I thought I was missing something specific from old Excalibur maybe?
    I just addressed those questions surely?

If there is a magical problem with a character relating to Otherworld then THE place to go would be the multiplanar headquarters of Captain Britain. If Batman had a problem with Robin and took him to the Batcave nobody would question it.

A new Captain Britain would have access to the multiverse in theory at the lighthouse, and unspecified magical resources. It is the AXIS-Mundi of Britain.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Depends on the problem. Depends on the Robin.

jk.
    Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Depends on the problem. Depends on the Robin.

jk.
    Mostly.
    Well clearly. But this is a problem very specific to the world of Captain Britain, and so in this case it is the logical place to go.

The issue doesn't bother to explain their plan because it was scuppered anyway when they discovered the Lighthouse gone. Then when they rebuilt it, it is suddenly built to [A]'s blueprints with a crystal grown from two long dead mutants. So events have somewhat taken over and [A] clearly has a bigger plan at hand. We knew that anyway, because he is defining a new magic, which would have ramifications in Otherworld. Everything in this story is connected even if it seems a little random.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I read it and liked it. Between Excalibur and Fallen Angels im leaning to keeping Excalibur and tradewaiting Fallen Angels.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

I'm happy Betsy is getting a spotlight. Have always rooted for the girl. Her story is definitely keeping me intrigued with Excalibur, even though I picked up the book for Gambit and Rogue. Although my faves do feel very out of character in the first two issues, I'm trying to look at it with different eyes. Tini posted this link on her Twitter so perhaps it gives insight on her take on it all? https://www.xavierfiles.com/2019/11/...ApXOg05lfE_9pE (sorry if it's already been posted here).

When approaching Excalibur, I guess I was hoping for the feel of a team book to be like the early days of the classic X-Men Blue (1990s). Especially with having Betsy, Rogue, Gambit and Jubilee altogether again. But the story is going down the path of legends, mythology, dragons and magic so probably doesn't lend itself to that? I love that stuff too (Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit), so maybe I can get into it? I'm sticking with the book so let's see what happens. But please please...can Gambit (and eventually Rogue) sound a bit more like themselves?
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 11-22-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well clearly. But this is a problem very specific to the world of Captain Britain, and so in this case it is the logical place to go.

The issue doesn't bother to explain their plan because it was scuppered anyway when they discovered the Lighthouse gone. Then when they rebuilt it, it is suddenly built to [A]'s blueprints with a crystal grown from two long dead mutants. So events have somewhat taken over and [A] clearly has a bigger plan at hand. We knew that anyway, because he is defining a new magic, which would have ramifications in Otherworld. Everything in this story is connected even if it seems a little random.
    Agreed. I think the dialogue could be switched up here and there to drive that home but as disjointed as it initially seemed it's all pretty linear.
    At least storywise. The characters, outside of Apocalypse and Betsy, and their needs to be there are still kinda eh. I kind of wish Pixie was in Rogue's spot (she could've used her soul dagger to try and disrupt the gate or something idk). She feels like the perfect character to usher in the new mutant magic. Then we also wouldn't have to deal with Gambit.

BANNED

I think the fundamental issue with the book right now is that it seems to want to explore the funky magical concepts of Captain Britain and OG Excalibur, while trading on some people’s nostalgia for cheesy ‘90s X-Men team rosters (i.e., more marketable than Excalibur). Those flavors don’t go together, and the makeup of the team does not fit for me. I have no particular love for that era, but even if I did it wouldn’t work for me. I hope the group can coalesce in time, but right now I’m only here for Betsy and Apocalypse.

Astonishing Member

Did Shogo turn into a dragon because of magic of because his mutant powers decided to activate?

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Did Shogo turn into a dragon because of magic of because his mutant powers decided to activate?
    I think we’re all guessing magic at this stage, Gambit and Jubilee’s costumes have also changed.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    LOL...I thought the dragon ate him