Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The issue was alright, not as good as the first. To me To's art is carrying the book right now, if it weren't for his work and the fact I really like the cast, I would probably not stick with it. I like the core concept of the book, but so far the plot has been pretty disjointed and the characters, beside Betsy and [A], are kind of flat. Hopefully it improves. The data pages in this book aren't being used as well as they could be. I do think Tini can improve, I'm really enjoying her work on Strikeforce right now, and I really only deeply care about one character on that book.

This issue was a giant mess. My god. A disgrace to the Excalibur name.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    This issue was a giant mess. My god. A disgrace to the Excalibur name.
    No it wasnt, it was absolutely fine, the story is ticking along nicely and Apocalypse is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    So I think going by the first 2 issues. And the interviews that the editors and writers have had:

Tini definitely wanted to write Apocalypse.

She told us the Betsy was suggested to her. (Which makes sense in an Excalibur book and editorial is definitely pushing to make sure Betsy/'Kwannon' are viewed differently)

Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Rictor are not her priority.

This is just my opinion.

We know that Tini is working closely with Jonathan Hickman so I think all things Apocalypse are gonna play a huge role down the line.

So what she needs to do is get Rogue and Gambits greatest hits and get a little more in tune with their voices.

She needs to make sure each charcters get some spotlight in each issue. (Doesnt have to be big) Jubilee and Gambit have been doing the same thing for 2 issues.

I want this book to succeed because bias I love me my Betsy.

And I actually do want to see her interactions with Gambit, Rogue, Apoc, and Jubilee.

Although I do think her and Gambit did have a good moment in this issue.
    CGAR do you have the source? I thought it was the opposite? I thought Apocalypse was suggested/shoved onto her?

Either way, haven't read the issue yet, wont get a chance to till after work...based on what everyone is saying, I'm hoping it picks up next issue. I'm excited to see Rictor!
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Hard for me to admit...but I'm not in love with this book. The first issue was very interesting but this one felt.....unnatural...forced...shallow. There were some good moments but I think the problem is she has to do some heavy world building....and the character moments are going second plane. I like the mystical aspects of it and hope it gets further developed. I respect Betsy being Captain Britain but the armor...I tend to like more sexy costumes and this one...doesn't do it for me. Specially the Otherworld version. I also detest patriotic character. Never liked Captain America or similars.

I hope :
    - Rictor appears soon
    - We have better characterization for Jubilee, Gambit and Rogue
    - More focus on team dynamics
    - The return of her Disassembled costume
    - Maybe a grittier/darker art style
    Last edited by MentalManipulator; 11-20-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    A picture would last longer darling...

King.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    No it wasnt, it was absolutely fine, the story is ticking along nicely and Apocalypse is hilarious.
    Most users seem to disagree with that statement.

BANNED

It wasn't amazing but 'disgrace to the Excalibur name' is hilarious. I read New Excalibur plus Lobdell's run, I know disgrace when I see it.

There so many things in this comic that make no sense.

Why are they going to England in a boat? Are we back in the 19th century and planes don't exist anymore?
    Isn't Krakoa located in the middle of the Pacific? A journey in boat from there to Great Britain would take many days even weeks considering they are traveling in a sailboat!
    Is the use of the blackbird forbidden?

Why is Rogue there? What's the reason for her to be carried to England?
    Wouldn't it make more sense to leave her in a hospital while guys like Beast or Sinister try to figure out what's going on with her?

The fight with those selkies was so poorly done, Betsy jumps to the sea but she doesn't even look wet and somehow she can swim faster than the sea creatures? Come on!

The whole thing is very disjointed, also I agree with most people here the dialogue and characterization is quite bad so far, only Apocalypse and Betsy at times seem to be written somewhat decently, everyone else is unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    There so many things in this comic that make no sense.

Why are they going to England in a boat? Are we back in the 19th century and planes don't exist anymore?
    Isn't Krakoa located in the middle of the Pacific? A journey in boat from there to Great Britain would take many days even weeks considering they are traveling in a sailboat!
    Is the use of the blackbird forbidden?

Why is Rogue there? What's the reason for her to be carried to England?
    Wouldn't it make more sense to leave her in a hospital while guys like Beast or Sinister try to figure out what's going on with her?

The fight with those selkies was so poorly done, Betsy jumps to the sea but she doesn't even look wet and somehow she can swim faster than the sea creatures? Come on!

The whole thing is very disjointed, also I agree with most people here the dialogue and characterization is quite bad so far, only Apocalypse and Betsy at times seem to be written somewhat decently, everyone else is unbearable.
    Betsy used tK so she was dry and faster

Most of these complaints from both issues this week just require a bit of common sense and the tiniest suspension of disbelief.

This reads like someone with no prior knowledge of the X-men or these characters in particularly just writing a story and then fitting in whoever she was given into that story. Like the dialogue may make sense for purposes of the story but doesn't make much such for the actual characters in the story given their history.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

This was a fun issue.

BANNED

Gambit and Psylocke used to have a tense relationship in the 90s and havent interacted much since. Gambit the lovesick puppy is fallout from Kelly Thompson. But oh well better him then Rogue.

Can everyone please stop referring to that character in Excalibur as Gambit? I know he looks like him and has his powers but he actually bears no resemblance to any version of Gambit I am aware of. At this point I can only surmise that Krakoa's template for Gambit was corrupted so it just created a Gambit body with no actual traits of the real Gambit.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.