Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Donny Cates Venom

Just a thread for everything on Donny Cates & Stegmans run on Venom.

Just read Absolute Carnage #5, VERY intrigued at what lies in store next year for Venom.

Incredible Member

I've actually really enjoyed Cates' Venom and Stegmans' Absolute Carnage. I look forward to both every time the come out. I hate the Absolute is over but I like that it sets up for more. I can't wait to see where this goes from here.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

After reading Absolute Carnage #5, I'm hoping Cates stays on Venom for a very long time.

My questions:

1. spoilers:
    Is Cletus and the Carnage Symbiote dead this time? Sure looks like it
    end of spoilers

2. spoilers:
    With Venom Island, I thought Eddie was supposed to be alone. Eddie now his his original symbiote and a really big upgrade from the other codices
    end of spoilers

I find those comments about Venom beind as good as Watchmen ridiculous... Cates' Venom remembers and it's as good as Moore's Swamp Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    I find those comments about Venom beind as good as Watchmen ridiculous... Cates' Venom remembers and it's as good as Moore's Swamp Thing.
    Isn't that just a meme?

Either way, Cates' Venom was better in the first story arc, but I don't really care much about Knull, he's rather dull so far, and I don't like the retcon of the weakness to sonics and fire being some instinctual fear because of the time he made All-Black... After that first story arc, it seems that Cates started to make the symbiote look like a bigger villain than he should who was also manipulating Eddie, who also impregnated/raped Eddie's wife for reasons, while making it look like Eddie was just a poor victim... Though the War of the Realms tie in does have Eddie admitting that he wasn't an innocent, and the issue right after it has Cates also keeping that tie-in in mind.

The run is very character driven, so characters becoming worse hurt it a lot more than other stories.

Absolute Carnage is fun, but not consistent, AC and Venom are consistent with each other since the timeline isn't making sense...

Oh well, it's fun enough, but inconsistent, hopefully it becomes more consistent after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Isn't that just a meme?
    It is, but I really think Cates is doing with Venom what Alan Moore did with Swamp Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    After reading Absolute Carnage #5, I'm hoping Cates stays on Venom for a very long time.

My questions:

1. spoilers:
    Is Cletus and the Carnage Symbiote dead this time? Sure looks like it
    end of spoilers

2. spoilers:
    With Venom Island, I thought Eddie was supposed to be alone. Eddie now his his original symbiote and a really big upgrade from the other codices
    end of spoilers
    February solicits answer Q1

spoilers:

Venom #23

VENOM ISLAND COMES ALIVE!

They say there’s no rest for the wicked, and few creatures in the Marvel Universe are as wicked as CARNAGE.
    Face front, readers — the seeds of next year’s VENOM event are already beginning to grow…
    end of spoilers
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Amazing Member

Absolutely love the Venom run, it's my favorite on going series currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    spoilers:

Venom #23

VENOM ISLAND COMES ALIVE!

They say there’s no rest for the wicked, and few creatures in the Marvel Universe are as wicked as CARNAGE.
    Face front, readers — the seeds of next year’s VENOM event are already beginning to grow…
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Maybe Cletus' codex won't go away
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    spoilers:
    Maybe Cletus' codex won't go away
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Cletus can regenerate his symbiote literally by so much as having a pricked finger. If any part of Carnage is left out there it can bring him back
    end of spoilers
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Very much enjoying this series and I have never read a solo venom title before. I also am really looking forward to Venom Island in Feb.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

What did you think to #20?
    Felt like the end of “Act 1” of Cates’ run. I liked it a lot. Excited to see where we go on what I consider “act 2”

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    spoilers:
    Cletus can regenerate his symbiote literally by so much as having a pricked finger. If any part of Carnage is left out there it can bring him back
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    From what I inferred from AC#5, Carnage is now a part of Venom, and was absorbed with the other codices. Venom is now technically a symbiote hive unto himself.
    end of spoilers
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    spoilers:
    From what I inferred from AC#5, Carnage is now a part of Venom, and was absorbed with the other codices. Venom is now technically a symbiote hive unto himself.
    end of spoilers
    Well, Grendel, not Carnage, and if Flash's Codex is any hint, the other codices will be gone after a while

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    What did you think to #20?
    Felt like the end of “Act 1” of Cates’ run. I liked it a lot. Excited to see where we go on what I consider “act 2”
    Today's issue was a jaw-dropper. Cates is really swinging for the fences with this run. Never thought a Venom book could feel so key to the larger MU.

This issue definitely felt like the end of Cates' "Act 1." As big as things have gotten up to now, it's pretty clear that we ain't seen nothing yet!