Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Bingo. Well said.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I personally would like the school better. Hidding a school and a nacent mutant population sounds more plausible than hiding a superpowered country with his own culture and a population of millions.

And Disney already did that with Wakanda, I don't think they would want to repeat themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    What Jackraow21 seems to mean is that there is no such thing as a "hard-sell" for the MCU. And they're right. No matter how you cut it, this movies are planned in a way that they know they'll work before they even come out.
    Still Krakoa as starter for MCU is a hardsell, specially when there is rumours to introduce inhumans with the FF.

Before spider-man got into mCU, Feige already had his idea. So he probably already had a idea much before Krakoa

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I personally would like the school better. Hidding a school and a nacent mutant population sounds more plausible than hiding a superpowered country with his own culture and a population of millions.

And Disney already did that with Wakanda, I don't think they would want to repeat themselves.
    And they will do it again with Inhumans.

To get the importance of Krakoa, we have to see persecution in large global scale.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 11-24-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Amazing Member

I'm a lapsed fan, actually. Haven't really read anything since I'd say about '97 or so. I've been re-reading some of my old X-comics and watching the toon on Disney+ lately. Have had a bit of a X-Men itch lately, and yeah, I come from that late 80s/90s time. Sue me. LOL. Always love the concept, but life moves on, all that jazz. I speak only for myself, but anything involving an island sounds dumb and bad. The Fox efforts were very mostly a miss. I'd say maybe 3 were what I'd call "good" movies. Sophie Turner as Jean Grey? Come on. Cast well, and as I recall with Psylocke, movie makers can get look of characters right, but can they adapt? Hmmm. They turned Spider-Man into Agent Cody Banks and no mention of Uncle Ben as of yet, so I remain unconvinced.

And yet “Agent Cody Banks Spider-man” has been wildly successful and popular with moviegoers, including lots of new fans like my young nephews. So... perhaps it’s not the movie makers who need to adapt here? Food for thought.

I’m willing to bet that if they go with “X-men meets Avatar” and this new weird island nation state of Krakoa set up in the MCU, compete with the governments of the world hating and fearing them on a global scale, that it will also be wildly popular with moviegoers.

Having said that, I’m sure they can find a way to make the old status quo at the Xavier School exciting and fresh and popular with moviegoers as well. If that’s the route they choose.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 11-24-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Amazing Member

I do get your point and hey, my boxes of comics I still own from my childhood, I got X-Men stories that do get quite out there. X-Men always did seem to operate for me as a everything and the kitchen sink type deal. Space, politics, urban, mystery, etc etc.

I'd say they are maybe 2 and 1/2 star movies, the two Spider-Man Disney efforts. Not the worst of the worst in my view (that'd be Thor 2), but definitely not the best of the best. Disney has perfected a formula, but sometimes its lifeless. Transformers did quite well for itself for a time, as well, but great movies? If $$$ is all that matters, sure. The bits on the bus with the Iron Man handy down weapon was my cringe moment. That's the moment I felt like I was watching a made for tv Disney movie/weekly series.

Well done adaptions can and should be done. I do get that my point of reference to X-Men is quite dated, I suppose. But then again, alot of the stuff I missed was when Marvel purposesly damaged different things to not play nice with Fox? Hmmm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    And they will do it again with Inhumans.
    MCU is not doing Inhumans. They dropped it bc it was Perlmutter's X-Men substitute. He was removed and Feige has no interest.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    MCU is not doing Inhumans. They dropped it bc it was Perlmutter's X-Men substitute. He was removed and Feige has no interest.
    Last rumours that they will be reooted in Ms.Marvel Disney+.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Last rumours that they will be reooted in Ms.Marvel Disney+.
    Even if they're a part of that show (which I frankly doubt), nothing about that would make using the HOX/Krakoa status quo redundant. Anyone who believes the X-Men franchise is not a much bigger priority for the MCU than the Inhumans - a property they went out of their way to cancel plans for - is deluding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Even if they're a part of that show (which I frankly doubt), nothing about that would make using the HOX/Krakoa status quo redundant. Anyone who believes the X-Men franchise is not a much bigger priority for the MCU than the Inhumans - a property they went out of their way to cancel plans for - is deluding themselves.
    Of course. Completely agree about that. But I don`t expect Krakoa to be used from the start. Krakoa status is comics is only 1 event so far.

I know they won’t do it, but I’d love it if their first movie is based on Scott, Jean, Warren, Bobby, and Hank. Sprinkle in cameos or whatever of other later members. Then second movie Giant Sized X-Men to introduce the international X-Men. It also introduces Krakoa. Third movie jump to the Krakoa stuff (if that’s even relevant by that point).

Or introduce the original five in another movie briefly and make the first movie based on Giant Size X-Men..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Sure, it is, and that’s been my biggest problem with it, frankly, but the mutant nation concept allows you to open the world up considerably. My comment was in specific response to the absurd “anti-white” claim.
    It sounded like you were saying one of the reasons astonishing shouldn’t be used was because it was mostly white, even though hox has the same problem.

I’m not attached to astonishing, but Krakoa does have a set up issue. The movies haven’t had years of terrible extinction stories to say why mutants have to move to a magic island to get away.

Humans don’t hate and oppress mutants, they don’t even know about mutants. So the movie premise would have to be the inhuman like, some humans were mean to use a long time ago, so we left formed a new society and brainwashed everyone. So when the mutants show up, and their like, humans are mean and you must recognize our sovereign county, the ‘humans’ will be like who are you? You’ve been psychically manipulating us for years? Yes, but only because you are awful and deserve it. We also made up our own language and religious rituals. There wouldn’t be much of story basis for doing something that pretentious, lol.

Also any ‘cover up’ help by the Illuminati or whoever, would now mean the devious, shadowy government people, were helping hide/protect mutants, rather than building giant robots.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    It sounded like you were saying one of the reasons astonishing shouldn’t be used was because it was mostly white, even though hox has the same problem.

I’m not attached to astonishing, but Krakoa does have a set up issue. The movies haven’t had years of terrible extinction stories to say why mutants have to move to a magic island to get away.

Humans don’t hate and oppress mutants, they don’t even know about mutants. So the movie premise would have to be the inhuman like, some humans were mean to use a long time ago, so we left formed a new society and brainwashed everyone. So when the mutants show up, and their like, humans are mean and you must recognize our sovereign county, the ‘humans’ will be like who are you? You’ve been psychically manipulating us for years? Yes, but only because you are awful and deserve it. We also made up our own language and religious rituals. There wouldn’t be much of story basis for doing something that pretentious, lol.

Also any ‘cover up’ help by the Illuminati or whoever, would now mean the devious, shadowy government people, were helping hide/protect mutants, rather than building giant robots.
    So yes, initially, I did comment on the collective complexion of the cast, but it’s the cast more than anything that differentiates Whedon’s run. Otherwise, there’s not really anything special about the status quo.

Regardless, the X-line has always suffered from a lack of diversity on and off the page. It needs to be actively addressed for sure.

As for how it might work in the films, I feel like the infrastructure of Krakoa, including the gates and the Resurrection Machine, makes it easier to conceal the existence of mutants. Imagine starting with a mutant character, say Jubilee, whose powers have just manifested and they are immediately killed by a bigot or genocide machine, and then they wake up in what they think is heaven, only to learn they’ve been reborn in the Mutant Nation. Cue the music (based on the animated series, of course) and opening credits.
    Last edited by The Quiet Councilor; 11-25-2019 at 12:18 PM.