Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do you think Astonishing X-Men will be the base inspiration of MCU X-Men?

The idea came to mind when I remembered how the MCU takes heavily from modern stuff both in 616 and Ultimate, and uses classic stories more in addition to it. Some that come to mind:
    • Iron Man's origin takes heavily from Warren Ellis' 2005 Extremis storyline (which was essentially a reboot of his origins to begin with), and a (very watered down) version of it was the plot of IM3.
    • The Incredible Hulk takes after the Ultimate incarnation where it's derived from the Cap's Super Soldier Serum, though also feature Gamma Rays as part of it.
    • The Avengers themselves, while characterized like the 616 version, was formed by S.H.I.E.L.D. like the Ultimates.
    • The Guardians of the Galaxy was based on the 2008 comic, as opposed to the classic sci-fi version.
    • Captain America: Civil War, of course, is loosely based on the 2006 Civil War event by Mark Millar.
    • Thor: Ragnarok is based on several modern stories including the 2012 Thor: God of Thunder, the 2013 Thor: The Mighty Avenger, and the 2006 Planet Hulk.
    • Black Panther is heavily inspired by Christopher Priest's landmark 1998-2003 run, and features several elements that came after that like Shuri.
    • Captain Marvel is based heavily on Kelly Sue DeConnick's 2012 run.

I think you get the point.

So when I look at the potential of MCU X-Men, and when I look at modern stories that could heavily influence it, what comes to mind is Joss Whedon's 2004-2008 Astonishing X-Men more than any other story. The reason for that being that Whedon's run was like a blend of both old Chris Claremont stories and new ideas from the modern age rolled into one. Like with Claremont, you had big adventures, superhero action, melodrama, alien invasions, and outside elements connecting to the MU, but like the modern era influenced by Grant Morrison and others, you had some of the darker tone, Xavier's School being an actual school for mutants, many characters introduced since Claremont, and an overall "updated" feel that the MCU would likely go for.

Plus, looking at the back of the trade, Whedon's run actually did sell itself as being a modernization of Claremont's stories.

I doubt Grant Morrison's run will be the base, due to it being very dark and the X-Men acting more as a strike team than superheroes, which doesn't quite fit what I imagine the MCU being. I doubt many other stories since will be an influence because many of them were mediocre at best. I also doubt we'll start with Hickman's run right away being the base, because the status quo is based off decades of continuity and having the mutants start with their own nation that's separated from others is less than ideal.

So that brings me back to Astonishing X-Men as the likely base inspiration. I was reading the entire collection the other day, and what I felt was that this could make a perfect baseline for the MCU to use when the X-Men debut. Plus, as said, it was written by Joss Whedon, who directed the first two Avengers movies and says he's on good terms with them now and is willing to rejoin, so there's a distinct possibility that Whedon might be the director. Who knows.

But that's just my thoughts. What do you think?

BANNED

Astonishing itself was pretty uninspired so it would be like copying someone's notes after they themselves copied someone else's. Might as well go to the source.

I think it is possible Astonishing with Krakoa flavor as for tone. But they won't adapt any concrete plot of Astonishing. Breakworld, Danger, the cure ... I don't think they're interesting cinematographically.

I'm pretty sure it won't be, it only works as a continuity established on comics and there is a lack of diversity.

There is already other thread asking for this.

I'm pretty sure X-me movies will have Storm as leader and more women as protagonists

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it won't be, it only works as a continuity established on comics and there is a lack of diversity.

There is already other thread asking for this.

I'm pretty sure X-me movies will have Storm as leader and more women as protagonists
    Are we really pulling this card? It's not even true.

I think they'll take heavy inspiration from the look of Astonishing, like with Warren Ellis's look serving as the inspiration for Iron-Man. Cassidy's art is kind of the definitive modern look for the X-Men and the team line-up lends itself well to a mainstream audience. I think the only difference is that they might replace someone with Storm (probably Hank).

The actual stories themselves wouldn't really serve that well for movie adaptations. I never understood the whole "Whedon is modern Claremont" idea. Morrison did a better job of utilizing past lore.
    Last edited by manymade1; 11-20-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    WHat card? storm as leaders seems very obvious

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I suppose that all-star women shot from Endgame, featuring women of different backgrounds, wasn't enough for some people, as well as the possibility of more female-led movies like Captain Marvel and Black Widow popping up. The "lack of diversity" can be a valid complaint, but I think that should also come along with a valid expectation/goal to go with it as opposed to raising the goal bar higher and higher, or else one may fall into the risk of feeling that achieving an expectation/goal is impossible and will probably just leave a big pile of unhappiness/unsatisfaction. In any other case, I'll mention then that if there's truly a problem, then I hope the potential solution to the problem comes sooner rather than later too.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-20-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I think it is possible Astonishing with Krakoa flavor as for tone. But they won't adapt any concrete plot of Astonishing. Breakworld, Danger, the cure ... I don't think they're interesting cinematographically.
    Well of course. No MCU movie is a straight adaptation of a story, not even Civil War beyond the basic premise. But I mean as the overall base inspiration that informs the MCU X-Men. The MCU draws ideas from everywhere to create their own stories, but modern stuff definitely gets favored a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Astonishing itself was pretty uninspired so it would be like copying someone's notes after they themselves copied someone else's. Might as well go to the source.
    Agreed. I’d rather see the Dawn of X setup on Krakoa, with flashbacks to establish the school as former base of operations and also the original Krakoa mission from Giant Sized X-men #1 showing how the ANAD team assembled to rescue the O5. But bring on the new and let’s go nuts!

BANNED

I don't see how this isn't just asking 'will they use the school setting for the movies' again? Because that's all the Astonishing setup was, like most old X-Men status quo. We've been having the 'will they use Krakoa or the school in MCU' discussion off and on for awhile, too.

The answer for me, once again, is it could go either way but given the state of the MCU I would not be shocked if the mutants turn up hidden away on Krakoa and the school era is relegated to Ant-Man-style flashbacks to pre-Iron Man/Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    I agree with the latter but visually boring?
    Return to spandex was a mistake and aside from some o-faces Cassady character work was underwhelming imo. I guess action was alright? Nothing to write home abt.

BANNED

Morrison wanted to go back to the costumes and I wanted to see him do it. I thought AXM was fun but mostly fluff. I didn't give a **** about the Breakworld. The character relationships are what kept me reading.