Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do you think Astonishing X-Men will be the base inspiration of MCU X-Men?

The idea came to mind when I remembered how the MCU takes heavily from modern stuff both in 616 and Ultimate, and uses classic stories more in addition to it. Some that come to mind:
    • Iron Man's origin takes heavily from Warren Ellis' 2005 Extremis storyline (which was essentially a reboot of his origins to begin with), and a (very watered down) version of it was the plot of IM3.
    • The Incredible Hulk takes after the Ultimate incarnation where it's derived from the Cap's Super Soldier Serum, though also feature Gamma Rays as part of it.
    • The Avengers themselves, while characterized like the 616 version, was formed by S.H.I.E.L.D. like the Ultimates.
    • The Guardians of the Galaxy was based on the 2008 comic, as opposed to the classic sci-fi version.
    • Captain America: Civil War, of course, is loosely based on the 2006 Civil War event by Mark Millar.
    • Thor: Ragnarok is based on several modern stories including the 2012 Thor: God of Thunder, the 2013 Thor: The Mighty Avenger, and the 2006 Planet Hulk.
    • Black Panther is heavily inspired by Christopher Priest's landmark 1998-2003 run, and features several elements that came after that like Shuri.
    • Captain Marvel is based heavily on Kelly Sue DeConnick's 2012 run.

I think you get the point.

So when I look at the potential of MCU X-Men, and when I look at modern stories that could heavily influence it, what comes to mind is Joss Whedon's 2004-2008 Astonishing X-Men more than any other story. The reason for that being that Whedon's run was like a blend of both old Chris Claremont stories and new ideas from the modern age rolled into one. Like with Claremont, you had big adventures, superhero action, melodrama, alien invasions, and outside elements connecting to the MU, but like the modern era influenced by Grant Morrison and others, you had some of the darker tone, Xavier's School being an actual school for mutants, many characters introduced since Claremont, and an overall "updated" feel that the MCU would likely go for.

Plus, looking at the back of the trade, Whedon's run actually did sell itself as being a modernization of Claremont's stories.

I doubt Grant Morrison's run will be the base, due to it being very dark and the X-Men acting more as a strike team than superheroes, which doesn't quite fit what I imagine the MCU being. I doubt many other stories since will be an influence because many of them were mediocre at best. I also doubt we'll start with Hickman's run right away being the base, because the status quo is based off decades of continuity and having the mutants start with their own nation that's separated from others is less than ideal.

So that brings me back to Astonishing X-Men as the likely base inspiration. I was reading the entire collection the other day, and what I felt was that this could make a perfect baseline for the MCU to use when the X-Men debut. Plus, as said, it was written by Joss Whedon, who directed the first two Avengers movies and says he's on good terms with them now and is willing to rejoin, so there's a distinct possibility that Whedon might be the director. Who knows.

But that's just my thoughts. What do you think?

BANNED

Astonishing itself was pretty uninspired so it would be like copying someone's notes after they themselves copied someone else's. Might as well go to the source.

I think it is possible Astonishing with Krakoa flavor as for tone. But they won't adapt any concrete plot of Astonishing. Breakworld, Danger, the cure ... I don't think they're interesting cinematographically.

I'm pretty sure it won't be, it only works as a continuity established on comics and there is a lack of diversity.

There is already other thread asking for this.

I'm pretty sure X-me movies will have Storm as leader and more women as protagonists

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I think it is possible Astonishing with Krakoa flavor as for tone. But they won't adapt any concrete plot of Astonishing. Breakworld, Danger, the cure ... I don't think they're interesting cinematographically.
    Well of course. No MCU movie is a straight adaptation of a story, not even Civil War beyond the basic premise. But I mean as the overall base inspiration that informs the MCU X-Men. The MCU draws ideas from everywhere to create their own stories, but modern stuff definitely gets favored a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it won't be, it only works as a continuity established on comics and there is a lack of diversity.

There is already other thread asking for this.

I'm pretty sure X-me movies will have Storm as leader and more women as protagonists
    Are we really pulling this card? It's not even true.

I think they'll take heavy inspiration from the look of Astonishing, like with Warren Ellis's look serving as the inspiration for Iron-Man. Cassidy's art is kind of the definitive modern look for the X-Men and the team line-up lends itself well to a mainstream audience. I think the only difference is that they might replace someone with Storm (probably Hank).

The actual stories themselves wouldn't really serve that well for movie adaptations. I never understood the whole "Whedon is modern Claremont" idea. Morrison did a better job of utilizing past lore.
    Last edited by manymade1; 11-20-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Plus, another thing to consider is that Astonishing introduced S.W.O.R.D., and that played heavily throughout the series. Spider-Man: Far From Home practically teased S.W.O.R.D. in the post-credits, and they refrained from using the organization because almost every character associated with the organization is tied to X-Men and thus was off-limits until 2019.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Diversity card already? Wow.

Astonishing is basically a continuation of Morrison's New X-Men. Too much baggage. They'll probably use a fraction of Ultimate X-Men's plot.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Diversity card already? Wow.

Astonishing is basically a continuation of Morrison's New X-Men. Too much baggage. They'll probably use a fraction of Ultimate X-Men's plot.
    Ultimate X-Men?!

NO NO NO! I don't want mutants as part of the super soldier serum and I don't want the bastardization of the many characters.

Anyways, Astonishing felt pretty different from New X-Men, and was designed as an antithesis. They can take the ideas without straight-up adapting the story, just like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Ultimate X-Men?!

NO NO NO! I don't want mutants as part of the super soldier serum and I don't want the bastardization of the many characters.

Anyways, Astonishing felt pretty different from New X-Men, and was designed as an antithesis. They can take the ideas without straight-up adapting the story, just like everything else.
    I see where you are getting at, but I honestly think there is WAAAY too much build up needed in astonishing to work well as an intro to X-Men.

Kitty's history with the school and coming back in, and her history with Pitor. Why should we care that she's back?
    Colossus being resurrected for Breakworld when he's established in Deadpool movies (unless they reboot that series)
    Scott and Emma causing Logan to be upset... if we don't have Jean then we don't have Logan sads… and we don't have Emma/Scott being an issue for the rest of the cast
    Cassandra was a big villain here. We can't make her scary without killing a few million mutants. If mutants are new to the world... then how does this work?
    Hellfire Club. We'd have to establish HFC's whole thing and focus on Emma's path within both parties.

I love Astonishing to bits, it's one of my favorite runs... I think we can have Whedon's voice in a MCU movie without actually using the 12 issue run... at least right away. I feel like we'd have to change the characters around too much to make it work well, and even then it wouldn't be the same impact as a lot of what made the run special was the character development. Could we see it used in the future? Sure! But just not as a start point.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

No.

It won't be Astonishing or Ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Are we really pulling this card? It's not even true.
    WHat card? storm as leaders seems very obvious

Visually? Yes.

Content? Probably not. Astonishing X-men is too attached to CC & Byrne's legacy and Morrison's plot.

X-men film needs a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I see where you are getting at, but I honestly think there is WAAAY too much build up needed in astonishing to work well as an intro to X-Men.

Kitty's history with the school and coming back in, and her history with Pitor. Why should we care that she's back?
    Colossus being resurrected for Breakworld when he's established in Deadpool movies (unless they reboot that series)
    Scott and Emma causing Logan to be upset... if we don't have Jean then we don't have Logan sads… and we don't have Emma/Scott being an issue for the rest of the cast
    Cassandra was a big villain here. We can't make her scary without killing a few million mutants. If mutants are new to the world... then how does this work?
    Hellfire Club. We'd have to establish HFC's whole thing and focus on Emma's path within both parties.

I love Astonishing to bits, it's one of my favorite runs... I think we can have Whedon's voice in a MCU movie without actually using the 12 issue run... at least right away. I feel like we'd have to change the characters around too much to make it work well, and even then it wouldn't be the same impact as a lot of what made the run special was the character development. Could we see it used in the future? Sure! But just not as a start point.
    Because of the experience I have of meeting people who enter modern X-Men with Astonishing, it really isn't that problematic.

Kitty Pryde in the collective imagination is like an eternal teenager, introducing her as an adult who returns to the X-Men after time out can serve as a hook. She is like the audience, grew up with the X-Men and returns now.

Colossus and Breakworld can be replaced by any resurrection in reality. In the case of the comic, people are used to seeing mutant resurrections all the time. In the case of movies, it may be another case like Kitty.

As with Kitty, the audience has become accustomed to waiting for Jean already dead. It is hard but it is true. The status quo of "Dead Jean, Cyclops with new girlfriend and resentful Logan" is very easy to understand.

Cassandra in cinematographic language can be replaced by any villain with telepathy. As Mr. Sinister, for example.