Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Because it was visually boring and intellectually shallow?
    I agree with the latter but visually boring?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Again, this goes back to the whole "inspiration not adaptation" thing I was talking about. The general feel, setting, team as superheroes, school, melodrama, aliens, and the modernization are all things the MCU can work with.
    they'll probably wing it like they did with Spidey.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing itself was pretty uninspired so it would be like copying someone's notes after they themselves copied someone else's. Might as well go to the source.
    Agreed. I’d rather see the Dawn of X setup on Krakoa, with flashbacks to establish the school as former base of operations and also the original Krakoa mission from Giant Sized X-men #1 showing how the ANAD team assembled to rescue the O5. But bring on the new and let’s go nuts!

BANNED

I don't see how this isn't just asking 'will they use the school setting for the movies' again? Because that's all the Astonishing setup was, like most old X-Men status quo. We've been having the 'will they use Krakoa or the school in MCU' discussion off and on for awhile, too.

The answer for me, once again, is it could go either way but given the state of the MCU I would not be shocked if the mutants turn up hidden away on Krakoa and the school era is relegated to Ant-Man-style flashbacks to pre-Iron Man/Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    I agree with the latter but visually boring?
    Return to spandex was a mistake and aside from some o-faces Cassady character work was underwhelming imo. I guess action was alright? Nothing to write home abt.

BANNED

Morrison wanted to go back to the costumes and I wanted to see him do it. I thought AXM was fun but mostly fluff. I didn't give a **** about the Breakworld. The character relationships are what kept me reading.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that thinks Astonishing was overrated. I thought it was universally loved.

The characters were handled better than they were under Morrison, but otherwise, it was a pretty weak run.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Are we really pulling this card? It's not even true.
    I suppose that all-star women shot from Endgame, featuring women of different backgrounds, wasn't enough for some people, as well as the possibility of more female-led movies like Captain Marvel and Black Widow popping up. The "lack of diversity" can be a valid complaint, but I think that should also come along with a valid expectation/goal to go with it as opposed to raising the goal bar higher and higher, or else one may fall into the risk of feeling that achieving an expectation/goal is impossible and will probably just leave a big pile of unhappiness/unsatisfaction. In any other case, I'll mention then that if there's truly a problem, then I hope the potential solution to the problem comes sooner rather than later too.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-20-2019 at 02:41 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    I'm just glad I'm not the only one that thinks Astonishing was overrated. I thought it was universally loved.

The characters were handled better than they were under Morrison, but otherwise, it was a pretty weak run.
    Its the worst thing to have happened to the XMen in the last two decades. Whedon set everything back to 1980 and every subsequent writer rolled with it. Ppl hate the Decimation era but it was still better then every attempt at going back to basics in the 2010s.

BANNED

Its the worst thing to have happened to the XMen in the last two decades.
    Woo! That is a crowded field.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Woo! That is a crowded field.
    Whedon tried to follow in Claremont and Morrissons footsteps but was too much of a fanboy and not enough of a visionary. The problem is his run was so easily digestible, every superstar writer Marvel hired afterwards who didnt know much abt the XMen read that and based their stories on his interpretation. There are worse runs but none that damaged the franchise as bad. I guess editorial shares some of the blame with how eager they were to backtrack from everything Morrisson did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Visually? Yes.

Content? Probably not. Astonishing X-men is too attached to CC & Byrne's legacy and Morrison's plot.

X-men film needs a fresh start.
    My thoughts exactly. As much as I love Astonishing X-Men, I think it would be too difficult to set up in the MCU. I can see Marvel Studios adopting the visuals. The costume designs of Astonishing X-Men were very well-done. They feel modern, but with notable ties to the classic versions.

Beyond the visuals, though, I think it would be very difficult for the MCU to draw on any major comic book run. Some might work better than others. I guess it depends on how the MCU will address mutants being absent.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

I just think everything from Decimation on was far more damaging. For me, at worst Whedon's run was overhyped fluff from an A-lister. It did build on the relationships from Morrison well IMO, at least per Scott and Emma. It made Kitty central again, which made me happy as I'd begun to fear she was going down the memory hole. (I was not a fan of the reunion with Piotr.) It didn't undo Morrison's work, it just ran in place. It was a lot of stuff after or outside Whedon that dismantled Grant.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I just think everything from Decimation on was far more damaging. For me, at worst Whedon's run was overhyped fluff from an A-lister. It did build on the relationships from Morrison well IMO, at least per Scott and Emma. It made Kitty central again, which made me happy as I'd begun to fear she was going down the memory hole. (I was not a fan of the reunion with Piotr.) It didn't undo Morrison's work, it just ran in place. It was a lot of stuff after or outside Whedon that dismantled Grant.
    Seeing as how Piotr was brought back from the dead, most fans of the character I think would disagree with you. Also, Kiotr is life.

But the other poster just seems to have a hard on for hating whedon’s run. It isn’t whedon’s fault that people that wrote marvel after him took and regarded his work highly, it isn’t his fault marvel mucked with Xorn and what Morrison did after he was done/etc. none of that should be blamed on Whedon or what he wrote.

But seeing as how deadpool 2 was super popular and the last X-men movie totally bombed, I’m inclined to think that they will begin with Deadpool (and his associates, with any luck, So Colossus/NTW/Yukio/Domino) and then they’ll go from there.

Like others have said I think it would actually make sense and be easy to say they’re another wakanda type situation, possibly with a mention that after the snap they all retreated to Krakoa and they’ve been hiding out there since. It keeps the canon of Deadpool knowing of the institute without wondering why the avengers had super powered teams living upstate they never called on for help.

I think they will keep the general characterization of those early-2000’s characters minus the plots as they existed; the cure doesn’t really have a place outside of mutant-centric stories and break world doesn’t work without the context that surrounded it (mutant experimentation, the cure being developed partly to deal with the mutant threat to break world, SWORD being more than just captain marvel, etc). The tension of hank maybe maybe-not wanting it, the references to genosha, danger.. none of that stuff works without proper set up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    Seeing as how Piotr was brought back from the dead, most fans of the character I think would disagree with you.
    I was very happy Piotr was resurrected. I thought Whedon used him well. But I haven't been interested in his and Kitty's romance since the '80s. YMMV.