Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    I’m kinda thinking/hoping HoX will be the basis. This whole new aesthetic it brings with it very much aligns with the kind of fantastical world building that’s contributed to the success of BP, Dr. Strange, Ragnarok, and GotG. Plus, it’s a clean break from the kind of stories Fox was telling.

And Hickman did mention part of the draw was the promise of vertical alignment (or however he phrased it).
    I already said how starting with HoX/PoX is a bad idea in the OP.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I already said how starting with HoX/PoX is a bad idea in the OP.
    Congratulations. I disagree.

Well I disagree with you. If they start with HoX/PoX without the established continuity, they'll just be discount Inhumans. That's a really sad thing to be.

BANNED

Well I disagree with you. If they start with HoX/PoX without the established continuity, they'll just be discount Inhumans. That's a really sad thing to be.
    The Inhumans are a closed society built on the backs of slaves, so no, this isn’t that. The X-Men spiriting mutant kids away to a secret island nation isn’t that far removed from spiriting them away to a secret school except you have this whole new canvas of possibilities with the island nation.

I do as well. The HoX/PoX story is perfect to pull the X-men forward and intro them in the MCU, and they could do it without discarding the past history of the comics too. Start with a flashback to the original Krakoa story in the beginning (from Giant Sized X-men #1), then jump to present day with Jean taking some students through a Krakoa portal at the Xavier school. She talks about how they operated out of that school in secret for years but now are headed to their new home on the island. Later on it’s established that the Illuminati were complicit in helping Charles Xavier hide mutants from the world at large for some time, but now with the move to Krakoa the cat’s our of the bag and the rest of the world is flipping out.

It’s a great set up! I’m all for it. And the X-men on their worst day could never be discount Inhumans. Ha.

BANNED

Starting with the HoXPoX statu quo is also an easy way to lure in the mythical new readers that might want to buy books after seeing the movie. You can just tell them to go back and start with the minis that came a couple years back and go from there.

The Inhumans are a closed society built on the backs of slaves, so no, this isn’t that. The X-Men spiriting mutant kids away to a secret island nation isn’t that far removed from spiriting them away to a secret school except you have this whole new canvas of possibilities with the island nation.
    Except all of that is built off of Marvel Comics' continuity. It doesn't work as something you start with.

Also, they don't need to use Krakoa to make their take distinct from Fox. The FoX-Men for the most part was shitty, and devoid of the comic book charm, and only focused on Wolverine. They can be distinct from Fox by being good movies full of comic book goodness and all the things we love about X-Men.

BANNED

Except all of that is built off of Marvel Comics' continuity. It doesn't work as something you start with.
    As has already been pointed out to you in this thread, Astonishing X-Men is built on continuity as well. It’s entire emotional core is built on the past, leaning heavily on nostalgia. Starting with a mutant nation isn’t much different than starting with an established cabal of secret sorcerers. It can be done.

As has already been pointed out to you in this thread, Astonishing X-Men is built on continuity as well. It’s entire emotional core is built on the past, leaning heavily on nostalgia. Starting with a mutant nation isn’t much different than starting with an established cabal of secret sorcerers. It can be done.
    There's a world of difference between Astonishing X-Men's status quo and HoX/PoX.

Besides, we don't even know what the status quo will be by 2023 or whatever. For all we know, Krakoa might not even be a thing, or if it is, the setting is vastly different. MCU X-Men shouldn't base its status quo on a trend that might not last.

BANNED

And Astonishing X-Men hasnt been a thing for 15 years. Agreed, MCU shouldnt be based on an outdated statu quo. Thread question answered.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    And Astonishing X-Men hasnt been a thing for 15 years. Agreed, MCU shouldnt be based on an outdated statu quo. Thread question answered.
    Did you read into the context of what I was saying? I meant like the idea of a modernized take on the Claremont classic style.

BANNED

How modern is it if it hasn't been into play since 2008?

Spider-man Homecoming didn’t start with the origin story. He was already Spider-man. X-men could do the same. Hit the ground running and reveal via dialogue and flashbacks how they:

- came together originally (flashback to the original Krakoa rescue mission)
    - operated out of the school for years, largely in secret/unbeknownst to most people other than SHIELD and the Illuminati
    - were kept secret from most of the world and really just the stuff of rumors and tabloid fodder until recently, and
    - now are moving to the island and announcing a mutant nation state to keep them safe

It could work, and really well IMO. Would make for a marked contrast to the FOX-men films and be awesome.

BANNED

There's a world of difference between Astonishing X-Men's status quo and HoX/PoX.

Besides, we don't even know what the status quo will be by 2023 or whatever. For all we know, Krakoa might not even be a thing, or if it is, the setting is vastly different. MCU X-Men shouldn't base its status quo on a trend that might not last.
    You’re kidding yourself if you think this is a fad, and Hickman’s fingerprints are already all over the MCU not to mention the comics universe. You’re also kidding yourself if you think they’re going to restart the X-Men with yet another group of white faces. It won’t happen.