Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of Nick Spencer’s Boomerang?

Many Spider-Man writers have a signature character and I think Boomerang is Spencer’s. For most of his history, Boomerang has been portrayed as a D-list thug but Nick Spencer has played a major role in elevating his character. He was effectively the protagonist of his Superior Foes run, where many aspects of him now were fleshed out.

His run on Spider-Man is basically a continuation whenever Boomerang is involved. He’s pretty much become a supporting character to Peter as his roommate. It’s honestly a very unique dynamic, especially seeing them team up and Spidey noting the oddity of it.

What do you guys think overall? Also, when Spencer wraps up his run later on, what do you think he has in mind for Boomerang?

Just wondering.

I think he's done great work with the character, getting him a good niche as a shady B-lister in Superior Foes and bringing him over pretty effectively to his Amazing Spider-Man run. It is a great dynamic to have Peter rooming with an open supervillain.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I could see Spencer giving Boomerang a heroic death at the end of the run, possibly against Kindred.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I could see Spencer giving Boomerang a heroic death at the end of the run, possibly against Kindred.
    Boomerang and Bullseye would make for a good partnership...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Boomerang and Bullseye would make for a good partnership...
    I cant really see that myself, Boomerang comes from the Shocker school of "Mostly a gimmicky thief with no focus on murder" wheras Bullseye is a raging psychopath.

Bullseye's kind of a one note character at this point. Boomerang has range.

Mixed feelings on it. I love when writers have the balls to take b list or even c list characters and attempt to work with them. My only issue is I personally have a very select group of people that I like consistently interacting/teaming up with Spider-Man.....regardless of how well boomerang is written he still not on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I cant really see that myself, Boomerang comes from the Shocker school of "Mostly a gimmicky thief with no focus on murder" wheras Bullseye is a raging psychopath.
    Plus, remember that Bullseye vs. Boomerang fight in Superior Foes where Fred was cornered and tried to sell out his girlfriend to save his own skin (remembering that time Bullseye killed Elekra). Bullseye was... less than impressed, and found it embarrassing.

Anyways, would it be believable if Fred actually makes a heel-face turn if Nick Spencer develops him into that? The seeds could've been planted as far back as Superior Foes with how he hated Abner Jenkins for going legit, yet his friendship with Peter and his team-ups with Spidey appear true. It might be a mixed bag, if only for Boomerang's unique status as being a total ******* who's still charming in some way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    My problem with Boomerang as a comic relief character is that it ignores how he killed Jackpot's husband in front of her and her daughter, then tried to kill both of them. Nothing is ever made of the fact that Peter is hanging out with a remorseless killer.

Amazing Member

I love it! Boomerang has always been a personal favorite Spider-Man character of mine for years. I remember feeling like the only one who missed his presence in ASM around 2010-2012. I had no idea he was in Thunderbolts at that time and enjoyed catching up to read more of Fred Myers. Then came Superior Foes, and that was the series I always dreamed of but never thought I would get. Loving his dynamic with Peter and his supporting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    My problem with Boomerang as a comic relief character is that it ignores how he killed Jackpot's husband in front of her and her daughter, then tried to kill both of them. Nothing is ever made of the fact that Peter is hanging out with a remorseless killer.
    That was a horrible characterization of Fred and honestly might as well be considered out of continuity at this point considering that, along with both Jackpots, hasn't been referenced and most likely won't be anytime soon. I hated that miniseries so much. They should have just used Bullseye for that instead of besmirching the not so good name of Fred Myers like that.
    Last edited by MP95; 11-21-2019 at 02:33 PM.

A lot of things get buried under the rug. Remember, Spidey once agreed to genocide the human race because he thought he was a clone. No mind control or anything.

Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Many Spider-Man writers have a signature character and I think Boomerang is Spencer’s. For most of his history, Boomerang has been portrayed as a D-list thug but Nick Spencer has played a major role in elevating his character. He was effectively the protagonist of his Superior Foes run, where many aspects of him now were fleshed out.

His run on Spider-Man is basically a continuation whenever Boomerang is involved. He’s pretty much become a supporting character to Peter as his roommate. It’s honestly a very unique dynamic, especially seeing them team up and Spidey noting the oddity of it.

What do you guys think overall? Also, when Spencer wraps up his run later on, what do you think he has in mind for Boomerang?

Just wondering.
    so how old is Boomerang supposed to be, especially if he was this spy for hire in the Incredible Hulk books early on...

Spencer has done a great job with Boomerang. I love D listers. Not sure where Fred falls in the alphabet ratings system. He provides readers with some lightheartedness while Peter stresses out about everything. Spencer took on characters supposedly nobody wants or loves in SFOS and Ant-Man. SFOS was a hit. Ant-Man lasted awhile too. He had dozens of nobodies between the two books. It was very enjoyable to see all these characters get their day in the sun. Fred is an ass but that is what makes him so lovable. I don’t expect him to be around forever but he has been fun so far. Plus my favorite villain these days is Janice Lincoln the Beetle and it looks like she’s going to be around awhile as well. Love the all female Syndicate. I’m all for Fred being Peter’s annoying troublemaking side kick.

Boomerang is the Yamcha of the Spidey supporting cast.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Boomerang is the Yamcha of the Spidey supporting cast.
    Dragonball Super made people really like Yamcha and how pathetic he was in comparison to the rest of the cast.