Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Top Ten Most Important Spider-Man Stories Of the Decade

Scott Allan of CBR has a list of the top ten most important Spider-Man stories of the decade.

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-most-...tories-decade/

The choices are fine although I do quibble with the order.

What do you guys think?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Yeah, that order is nuts. Even if you don't like Slott or the story, Spider-verse is OBVIOUSLY the most impactful story of the decade. I don't think Back to Basics is the choice I'd have made for Spencer's run - I get the argument for, including MJ and Peter getting back together, another job change, new creative team - but I'd say Hunted is (and will be) more consequential. It sets up the stakes for Kindred, gives us a new Kraven, and was the impetus for the reformation of the Syndicate.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Scott Allan of CBR has a list of the top ten most important Spider-Man stories of the decade.

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-most-...tories-decade/

The choices are fine although I do quibble with the order.

What do you guys think?
    Other than My Dinner With Jonah, the order is pretty much all in chronological order of release, so it looks more like a list/countdown rather than an actual ranking, and I guess they just wanted to put MDWJ at #1 since its a slightly more effective way to end off the list than Back To Basics.

But yeah those probably are the most important Spider-Man stories of this past decade, I would put Renew Your Vows and Worldwide on there over Ends Of The Earth and Go Down Swinging, but overall makes sense.

BANNED

Miles Morales is easily the most important character of this decade. He won an Oscar, appeared in the PS4 game, Life Story, and has had his supporting cast hijacked for MCU Spider-Man. So I’d say Death of Spider-Man/Ultimate Fallout/Spider-Men are the most important stories.

I love Zdarsky’s My Dinner with Jonah but I wouldn’t call it important.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Yeah, that order is nuts. Even if you don't like Slott or the story, Spider-verse is OBVIOUSLY the most impactful story of the decade. I don't think Back to Basics is the choice I'd have made for Spencer's run - I get the argument for, including MJ and Peter getting back together, another job change, new creative team - but I'd say Hunted is (and will be) more consequential. It sets up the stakes for Kindred, gives us a new Kraven, and was the impetus for the reformation of the Syndicate.
    I'd rate the intro of Miles above Spider-Verse, but both top Jonah learning.

My ranking...
    10. Renew Your Vows (replacing Ends of the Earth)
    9. Do Down Swinging (Solid ending to Slott's run)
    8. My Dinner With Jonah
    7. Back to Basics (Solid debut for Spencer)
    6. Spider-Island
    5. Spider-Men
    4. The Big Time (Dan Slott's run kicks off)
    3. Superior Spider-Man
    2. Spider-Verse (Basis for a movie)
    1. Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (Miles Morales debut)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

who let spider-men in
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

My ranking...
    8. My Dinner With Jonah
    6. Spider-Island
    5. Spider-Men
    3. Superior Spider-Man
    I see the argument for Miles (they're both inextricably important antecedents to Into the Spiderverse and Miles is important for a number of other reasons), but SV also gave us Silk, Gwen, the Web Warriors, Spider-geddon, the Inheritors as a concept, etc (and one notes that since SV, we've gotten complete collections for a number of the main characters - Spider-Girl, Noir, Spider-Ham - which suggests SV helped re-ignite interest in those characters, as well). It's mostly a personal preference, I suppose - it's kind of like in sports debating peak vs career for who the "best" is - but those are definitely the top two.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I see the argument for Miles (they're both inextricably important antecedents to Into the Spiderverse and Miles is important for a number of other reasons), but SV also gave us Silk, Gwen, the Web Warriors, Spider-geddon, the Inheritors as a concept, etc (and one notes that since SV, we've gotten complete collections for a number of the main characters - Spider-Girl, Noir, Spider-Ham - which suggests SV helped re-ignite interest in those characters, as well). It's mostly a personal preference, I suppose - it's kind of like in sports debating peak vs career for who the "best" is - but those are definitely the top two.
    Spider-Gwen was an incidental creation of the Spider-Verse event by Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez who went rogue from Slott’s original concept. He had no hand in her success and fame.

And ITSV doesn’t borrow anything from the Slott story in terms of plot and events. I mean dimension hopping spiders is hardly original going back to the Fox cartoon, or you know Bendis’ Spider-Men.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

My ranking...
    8. My Dinner With Jonah
    6. Spider-Island
    5. Spider-Men
    3. Superior Spider-Man
    I definitely agree that Superior, Spider-Verse, and Death of Ultimate Pete/Miles' debut are the three most defining stories of the decade. Probably a coinflip personally which order you'd put them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Spider-Gwen was an incidental creation of the Spider-Verse event by Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez who went rogue from Slott’s original concept. He had no hand in her success and fame.

And ITSV doesn’t borrow anything from the Slott story in terms of plot and events. I mean dimension hopping spiders is hardly original going back to the Fox cartoon, or you know Bendis’ Spider-Men.
    The edge I give Spider-Verse is that, for good or ill depending on who you ask, it changed the entire trajectory of the way the Spider-line of comics have been treated.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 11-20-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

You probably need to look inward a bit because I didn't mention Slott at all in that post. You're imputing meaning in my post that is absolutely not there.

Do you think Sony would have made that specific movie, with that cast of Spiders, if Spider-verse had not been a successful comic book series? Seems pretty unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    who let spider-men in
    It did pave the way for Spider-Verse and for interdimensional travel being a fundamental part of the Spider-Man comics (honestly the biggest addition to the mythos since Venom)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Well, my own ranking would include Renew Your Vows (first married Spider-Man story post OMD, right?) and Amazing Fantasy. So something has to go! Here is my order:

10. Renew Your Vows
    9. Go Down Swinging
    8. The Big Time
    7. Back to Basics
    6. Amazing Fantasy
    5. Spider-Men
    4. Spider-Verse
    3. Superior Spider-Man
    2. My Dinner With Jonah
    1. Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

What consequences did Hunted have?

Hunted would be more important if the Kravinoffs weren't almost completely irrelevant to Spider-Man this decade.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hunted would be more important if the Kravinoffs weren't almost completely irrelevant to Spider-Man this decade.
    Even beyond that, nothing really happened in the story.