Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    That was a weird reboot. I wonder why.
    Personally, I think it might be because the idea that she was forced to marry him is just weird and creepy and would be too serious to ever overlook unless it were the main storyline. Having that as a side story and just part of Myra's background diminishes how terrible a crime against her that really was.

I have too much to say about this so I’ll be doing a full length video about this. But basically, I’m a huge a Question fan. I have the 1st appearance, Mysterious Suspense 1 in high grade (that one cost me!), the whole original series in singles with all the annuals and quarterlies and a lot of his other appearances. I even have some of the Mr. A stuff.

I read Ditko, O’Neil, Rucka, Veitch, Bendis (ugh), I watched all the JLU. My bar is set high for Question stories. Rucka fell short, Veitch fell short, Bendis fell off a cliff, O’Neil set the bar and even he fell short of it here and there (Ditko stands apart as the originator, and he deserves his own essay). It is too soon to say, we have to read the whole story, but Lemire may just have set the new standard for The Question. This book exceeded every high expectation I had. I’m fucking stoked!
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I read Ditko, O’Neil, Rucka, Veitch, Bendis (ugh), I watched all the JLU. My bar is set high for Question stories. Rucka fell short, Veitch fell short, Bendis fell off a cliff, O’Neil set the bar and even he fell short of it here and there (Ditko stands apart as the originator, and he deserves his own essay). It is too soon to say, we have to read the whole story, but Lemire may just have set the new standard for The Question. This book exceeded every high expectation I had. I’m fucking stoked!
    How about Miller's version in "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" and Morrison's "Pax Americana?"

Quote Originally Posted by brenster21 View Post
    Honestly, that is my only criticism with this book so far Myra being related to Wesley instead of married. Heck I would have accepted Myra's previously never mentioned brother being corrupt, and taking the office from her, causing Vic and her to split up. This also controdicts the much-forgotten trinity question's introduction in the new 52 where Question rescued myra's daughter, but I never really cared about that version.
    I am curious if Montoya and Izzy Poole, will be making an appearance in the story and hopeful that we will see more of the zen side of Vic, that was in O'Niel's run.

Personally I am interested and am counting down to the next issue in January.
    That’s my only bit of criticism too!

OMG! I didn’t realize how much I wanted this story until I read it. This is almost what I liked so much about the The Question v1. I’m so ready for the next book.

I have too much to say about this so I’ll be doing a full length video about this. But basically, I’m a huge a Question fan. I have the 1st appearance, Mysterious Suspense 1 in high grade (that one cost me!), the whole original series in singles with all the annuals and quarterlies and a lot of his other appearances. I even have some of the Mr. A stuff.

I’ll be honest I don’t like Rucka’s version. I really wish he’d stop writing Vic. And Bendis say’s that when he thinks of Vic he thinks of Rucka’s version... so there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    How about Miller's version in "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" and Morrison's "Pax Americana?"
    The Question never showed up in DSA. Rorschach did, with a smidge of Ditko. Morrisson did better. Passing grade to Grant.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    I like that he sees in black and white
    Don't get too attached to this. My money's on that changing.

Don't get too attached to this. My money's on that changing.
    Yeah. The goal of Richard Dragon's teaching is the development of Vic's spirit more than his fighting abilities. Although O'Neill had Vic spend a year with Dragon learning, Vic was shown to have not been the best student in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yeah. The goal of Richard Dragon's teaching is the development of Vic's spirit more than his fighting abilities. Although O'Neill had Vic spend a year with Dragon learning, Vic was shown to have not been the best student in this regard.
    But he did undergo a transformation under dragon's mentorship. Shiva herself noted Dragon had "rubbed off" on Vic.

But he did undergo a transformation under dragon's mentorship. Shiva herself noted Dragon had "rubbed off" on Vic.
    Yes. Vic picked up much, but Tot noticed Vic slipping back into his anger in the Rorschach story. Dragon noted Vic not fully embracing the teaching at the end of the series was also a sign. Vic learned a lot, but my intention was to say that his old ways hadn't totally faded.

Overall I enjoyed this issue. Having Denys Cowen back drawing The Question is amazing! He has a way of making things look gritty and it’s absolutely perfect for this character. A big issue I have so far is Lemire trying to make The Question too much like Rorschach. The objectivists world view was the other faceless Ditko creation, Mr. A. That character saw the world in black and white, good or evil. Which is how Rorschach saw things. Personally I believe that’s the most ignorant way of viewing the world. It seems to be the antithesis of what The Question represents. If you’re going to view the world in a simplified way (black or white, good or evil), you aren’t looking for connections and the root cause of problems. The Question is all about finding the source of the situation. It doesn’t make sense for him to be so closed minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Overall I enjoyed this issue. Having Denys Cowen back drawing The Question is amazing! He has a way of making things look gritty and it’s absolutely perfect for this character. A big issue I have so far is Lemire trying to make The Question too much like Rorschach. The objectivists world view was the other faceless Ditko creation, Mr. A. That character saw the world in black and white, good or evil. Which is how Rorschach saw things. Personally I believe that’s the most ignorant way of viewing the world. It seems to be the antithesis of what The Question represents. If you’re going to view the world in a simplified way (black or white, good or evil), you aren’t looking for connections and the root cause of problems. The Question is all about finding the source of the situation. It doesn’t make sense for him to be so closed minded.
    There's a vicious circle here. Moore intended to try and use the Ditko aspects of the character and may have relied heavily on other similar Ditko characters. I'm not up on Ditko's actual Question stories (Is there a trade collection somewhere?), but the intent of the O'Neil series was to bring Vic beyond that way of thinking Rorschach was an ugly development of the original Ditko version of the character and was in no way inspired by the O'Neil version which came after Watchmen.

When O'Neil used Rorschach in Question 17, the intent was to show Vic's decline. It seems Lemire's out to do an Ultimate/All Star Question where he tweaks aspects of the character from other writers. But unlike Morrison's All-Star Superman where Silver Age aspects were majorly changed, this work keeps much of the style and nature of the original. I can see where people read this and say it's awesome, but so was the original O'Neil stuff.

Lemire will not end the character where he started it. Guaranteed.

Ditko's The Question was indeed absolute in his belief in what's Right and what's Wrong. He wasn't that different from Mr A.

I think Lemire is more inspired by O'Neil's Question, but more specifically the fact that Vic is a man in the middle - he has an entrenched way of thinking but is being challenged to open his mind. Without having to explain all these different iterations of the man over the years, I can see him being a man in the middle in this way as a status quo that can yield many stories - to always question his beliefs and understanding of the world.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-02-2019 at 07:39 PM.

This was so good, everything is top notch - more black label please