Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default The Question: The Many Deaths of Vic Sage #1 Discussion/Spoilers

A new Black Label series begins handled by none other than my favorite author, Jeff Lemire. Considering how strong his Joker: Killer Smile book started, I had high hopes for this one and like in most cases, Lemire doesn't disappoint here.

The story opens with The Question dealing with a pedophile who just happens to had a position of power in Hub City and just from the beginning, Lemire nails how The Question behaves. Created by Steve Ditko, the hero always shared the same beliefs as the author, especifically his objectivist views that see everything in black and white with no grey whatsover and, speaking as someone who is tired of the whole "there's not black and white, only grey" line in comics, is refreshing to see this kind of take.

This also portrays The Question as a kind of conservative person who can be offensive in his words and ideas but again, it also depicts him in a way that is not seen in protagonists these days which make him fairly unique. There's also a compelling development about how his secret identity was created because as Vic Sage, he didn't have an identity at all which demonstrates a classic case of low self-esteem hiding behind a mask.

The plot deals appropriately with corruption and a mystery surrounding the Mayor and even Vic himself due that he starts doubting his own persona which is connected to all of his other previous personas which is an interesting premise by itself.

Denys Cowan handles the art and it has a grim, gritty and rough finish which is pretty fitting for the tone of the story and character.

Excellent read, one of the best this week.

It's a good start. The dialogue reminds me of O'neil and rorschach.

I thought Wesley and Myra were married in O'neill's run.

The supernatural hook is more in the background. The main case has a ripped from the headlines feel.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought Wesley and Myra were married in O'neill's run.
    Yeah, Myra was forced to marry Wesley.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Yeah, Myra was forced to marry Wesley.
    Honestly, that is my only criticism with this book so far Myra being related to Wesley instead of married. Heck I would have accepted Myra's previously never mentioned brother being corrupt, and taking the office from her, causing Vic and her to split up. This also controdicts the much-forgotten trinity question's introduction in the new 52 where Question rescued myra's daughter, but I never really cared about that version.
    I am curious if Montoya and Izzy Poole, will be making an appearance in the story and hopeful that we will see more of the zen side of Vic, that was in O'Niel's run.

Personally I am interested and am counting down to the next issue in January.

Loved every bit of it! Great see Cowan & Sienkiewicz back together again!
    TOP FIVE PULLS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, NICE HOUSE, NIGHTWING, SAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Victor_Lanza View Post
    Loved every bit of it! Great see Cowan & Sienkiewicz back together again!
    Agreed. For some reason this type of art feels more "immersive" to me than the high detail Jim Lee inspired style that has become the norm. Like there's just enough detail and your mind fills in the blanks.

Ridhard dragon popped up and im hoping Shiva/Bronze Tiger pop up too.

I like that there's some mysticism in the story.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-21-2019 at 08:44 AM.

I think this book is proof that this kind of characters need a Black Laebl style book.

Also, the Question need a regular series!

Lemire is always great!
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Mighty Member

Great read, enjoyed it thoroughly, especially his discovery of an old secret society dating back to the 20's or further, made things really intriguing.

First off. It's great to see Vic Sage alive and kicking and back in action! About time!!!

Love O'Neil's run so this should be good. This Vic seems like an amalgamation of O'Neil's and Dikto's, in other words a ball of liberal and conservative rolled up into one, which is fine by me. I like that he sees in black and white, it makes him stand out, in a world of morally carbon copy superheroes.

Hope he gets his own series soon, and that Lady Shiva, Batman, Green Arrow and Izzy O Toole pop up at some point....

and it's probably too much to ask, but as a Greg Rucka fan, and the JLA cartoon, a Huntress rolling up on a motorcycle with a crossbow and leotards would be icing on the cake!...but realistically I know that's probably not where there going with this. Hats off to Lemire!

Astonishing Member

Adored this - someone in the appreciation thread said they found Vic to be unlikeable here and, to be fair, he is. But I've missed that about the character. For a long time time now, the Rucka take on the Question has been prominent - a man who's laid most of his demons to rest, and has ended up the Nicest Guy In The World as a result. I like that character, but I've missed "going through some crap" but-of-a-dick Sage.

This was really interesting. It reads a LOT like the first issue of the O’Neil/ Cowan run, but with some alterations, much like Vic is living the same life over and over again. The mask he finds at the end appears to be the mask he was wearing when he was shot in the head and dumped in the water at the end of the O’Neil/ Cowan #1 - a relic from a past life. Really excited to see where it goes from here.

Cowan is one of my all-time favorite artists, and he hasn’t lost even an inch over the years. His art these days is all-too rare.
    Cheers - CL

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Adored this - someone in the appreciation thread said they found Vic to be unlikeable here and, to be fair, he is. But I've missed that about the character. For a long time time now, the Rucka take on the Question has been prominent - a man who's laid most of his demons to rest, and has ended up the Nicest Guy In The World as a result. I like that character, but I've missed "going through some crap" but-of-a-dick Sage.
    That was me, yes. I can understand your position, but to me, Vic is the guy who HAS GONE through some crap… and came out better on the other side.

(Also the utter loon from JLU, but that doesn't need to be in the comics, just because he's a lot like me. )

Vic's an unlikable black and white person here. But he was that in O'Neil's first issue before he "died." The coming back from the dead and singing Danny Boy was Vic growing as a character away from the black. white, no grey character. This is a LOT like O'Neil's first issue with a couple of exceptions. Myra and Wesley and brother and sister and not married here. I can see where Myra making the choice to support her brother puts the ball in her court moreso than being forced to marry him in the 80's series. An argument could be made Myra is more liberated here, but that view takes a bit of squinting. And Richard Dragon appears earlier than her had in O'Neil's series. It appears this Vic had studied but only picked up on fighting and not the actual zen of martial artistry. The historic stuff reminds me of Veitch's mysticism.

Obviously it's a good story and kick-ass art, but it's very much like O'Neil's work.

Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    First off. It's great to see Vic Sage alive and kicking and back in action! About time!!!
    I second that emotion!

Great start, imo. I was a bit taken aback when Q said, "better than being a whore." That sounded like the Ditko version. Then seeing him on air, and Fermin as the mayor again, made me wonder if this series actually started before he got shot in the head. But it seems Lemire has cherry-picked the most interesting things he found about Vic (mostly from the O'Neil run) and peppered in some Ditko, some Rorschach "Taxi Driver" style monologuing, a bit of the mysticism, and a dash of the conspiracy theorist. He's kinda made Vic a bit more whole in this sense rather than a man who has been many different things over the years. And also compressing Vic's history - Fermin as mayor with Myra at his side, Hub City still only on the brink of collapse, and the fact that Vic trained with Dragon before becoming the Question.

I am more than fine with Myra being Fermin's sister. Her being forced to marry him was always a weird, cringy plotpoint. I wonder if she sill has a daughter. Interesting that Fermin seems to be in control here rather than a puppet who was in an alcoholic stupor most of the time. I'm sure this shadow organization is the ultimate evil behind it, but Fermin's much more involved. Myra being complicit and maybe a little naive or in denial makes her a bit more culpable as well rather than simply being a hostage.

I hope that they stay a little vague about the mysticism and don't go down the Hawkman route of trying to explicitly state the reasons for his "resurrections" and laying out exactly how it works - that path just leads to madness (end endless reboots)

Minor quibble, but while I like the darker hues of his clothes, I've come to really like The Question with black hair as he originally had. It's more striking and just contrasts more with his natural hair color, which is the point of a disguise.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-24-2019 at 08:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brenster21 View Post
    Honestly, that is my only criticism with this book so far Myra being related to Wesley instead of married.
    That was a weird reboot. I wonder why.