Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Always Rakzo

Default The Question: The Many Deaths of Vic Sage #1 Discussion/Spoilers

A new Black Label series begins handled by none other than my favorite author, Jeff Lemire. Considering how strong his Joker: Killer Smile book started, I had high hopes for this one and like in most cases, Lemire doesn't disappoint here.

The story opens with The Question dealing with a pedophile who just happens to had a position of power in Hub City and just from the beginning, Lemire nails how The Question behaves. Created by Steve Ditko, the hero always shared the same beliefs as the author, especifically his objectivist views that see everything in black and white with no grey whatsover and, speaking as someone who is tired of the whole "there's not black and white, only grey" line in comics, is refreshing to see this kind of take.

This also portrays The Question as a kind of conservative person who can be offensive in his words and ideas but again, it also depicts him in a way that is not seen in protagonists these days which make him fairly unique. There's also a compelling development about how his secret identity was created because as Vic Sage, he didn't have an identity at all which demonstrates a classic case of low self-esteem hiding behind a mask.

The plot deals appropriately with corruption and a mystery surrounding the Mayor and even Vic himself due that he starts doubting his own persona which is connected to all of his other previous personas which is an interesting premise by itself.

Denys Cowan handles the art and it has a grim, gritty and rough finish which is pretty fitting for the tone of the story and character.

Excellent read, one of the best this week.

It's a good start. The dialogue reminds me of O'neil and rorschach.

I thought Wesley and Myra were married in O'neill's run.

The supernatural hook is more in the background. The main case has a ripped from the headlines feel.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought Wesley and Myra were married in O'neill's run.
    Yeah, Myra was forced to marry Wesley.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Yeah, Myra was forced to marry Wesley.
    Honestly, that is my only criticism with this book so far Myra being related to Wesley instead of married. Heck I would have accepted Myra's previously never mentioned brother being corrupt, and taking the office from her, causing Vic and her to split up. This also controdicts the much-forgotten trinity question's introduction in the new 52 where Question rescued myra's daughter, but I never really cared about that version.
    I am curious if Montoya and Izzy Poole, will be making an appearance in the story and hopeful that we will see more of the zen side of Vic, that was in O'Niel's run.

Personally I am interested and am counting down to the next issue in January.

Loved every bit of it! Great see Cowan & Sienkiewicz back together again!
    TOP FIVE PULLS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, NICE HOUSE, NIGHTWING, SAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Victor_Lanza View Post
    Loved every bit of it! Great see Cowan & Sienkiewicz back together again!
    Agreed. For some reason this type of art feels more "immersive" to me than the high detail Jim Lee inspired style that has become the norm. Like there's just enough detail and your mind fills in the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brenster21 View Post
    Honestly, that is my only criticism with this book so far Myra being related to Wesley instead of married. Heck I would have accepted Myra's previously never mentioned brother being corrupt, and taking the office from her, causing Vic and her to split up. This also controdicts the much-forgotten trinity question's introduction in the new 52 where Question rescued myra's daughter, but I never really cared about that version.
    I am curious if Montoya and Izzy Poole, will be making an appearance in the story and hopeful that we will see more of the zen side of Vic, that was in O'Niel's run.

Personally I am interested and am counting down to the next issue in January.
    That’s my only bit of criticism too!

OMG! I didn’t realize how much I wanted this story until I read it. This is almost what I liked so much about the The Question v1. I’m so ready for the next book.