Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What was the best Avengers run?

The Avengers might get a lot a hate around here for overexposure, especially in certain places like the X-Board, but they've definitely had good stories and runs. What was the best?

The easy one in recent memory is Jonathan Hickman's Avengers run, which was part of an epic saga with many parts of the MU featured and more characters than you can count (18 Avengers at the start + unaffiliated allies like the Fantastic Four + S.H.I.E.L.D. + civilians + the villains). However, it's been noted that Hickman's Avengers run is really more of a continuation of his Fantastic Four run, which the story beats continuing from there and into Avengers. About halfway through, Hickman basically stops pretending otherwise, and focuses on Reed and Doom with the Avengers being side characters. Still awesome, but does that take away the merit of being an Avengers story when it's really picking up from Fantastic Four? Who knows.

Kurt Busiek's run is another big contender. His stories likewise featured many characters and get storylines from Avengers Forever, Ultron Unlimited, and Kang Dynasty. He also introduced the adjacent Thunderbolts when the Avengers were stuck in the Heroes Reborn reboot, which is also great.

Anyways, which was best to you? What did you like in particular? Discuss.

Funny thing about Avengers runs, there isn't really a best one. It's just a consistently good book aside from some of the post-Stern/pre-Busiek years. Even most modern runs have highs and lows, highs and lows, highs and lows, highs and lows, highs and--
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I haven't read many Avengers run but honestly... I like Mark Waid's run the best. I'm heavy into character stuff and it felt like he got the characters and made everyone stand out. It was a direct contrast to Hickman's run which felt so sterile and cold. I cared about no one and thus, I never cared about what was happening. But with Waid, I felt invested in everyone and thus, cared about the stories they got pulled into.

The non-Illuminati half of Hickman's run could suddenly become cheeks out of nowhere like Bendis', so Waid gets the trophy for consistency.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Post-Civil War, pre-Heroic Age Bendis (excluding Mighty Avengers but including Dark Avengers)

I'm only partly saying that to get on people's nerves.

I'm a big fan of Busiek and Bendis Avenger runs... but my fave was probably Sterns. That was my childhood Avengers run, so it's sort of tough to top.

In all honesty, I agree with Snoop, there isn't a single "best" Avengers run. The Avengers have been too many different things to reasonably declare one inarguably superior.

Somewhere in the area of issue 50 all the way to 177. That's where the mythos was really established, and the books were excellent month after month.

Stern's run will always be my favorite, followed very closely by Busiek.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

As someone who tends to be more interested in older material, I gotta say Roger Stern. His writing definitely felt more refreshing after David Michelinie's run, which was soured by a number of factors, particularly the mishandling of sensitive topics. That's probably why I particularly like how Stern opened up his run in Avengers #227 with a critical analysis of Ant-Man's character, as it was more mature, compelling, and just an all-around more responsibly handled run than what had come before:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-20-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Roger Sterns tenure was sensational, I loved the Count Nefaria, Absorbing Man and Korvac storylines.
    Kurt Busieks run was very good also.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Roger Sterns tenure was sensational,
    Agreed. Definitely an all-time classic.

I loved the Count Nefaria, Absorbing Man and Korvac storylines.
    Me too. Jim shooter was really bringing the heat during this period.

Kurt Busieks run was very good also.
    Agreed. A steady influence was sorely needed after the conclusion of Heroes Reborn.

Roger Stern's run. His Masters of Evil storyline was my personal favorite.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Boisterously Confused

If I had to pick one, I'd also say Stern' it was truly an epic tour-de-force. My runner up would probably be Busiek. That said, Thomas' run deserves at least an honorable mention, if for no other reason, giving us The Vision.

I've got a three-man Mt. Rushmore: Thomas, Stern, and Busiek.

I did like Hickman's run, but it never felt like the 'Avengers' to me. I appreciated it for what it was, I dug the story, but I have a hard time ranking it as an all-time Avengers story.

I'm surprised to hear Waid's name so often. I thought it was quite bland.