Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I've never felt the Kylo was treated as a joke.
    We must have watched different versions of the movie, because Darth Vader never had anyone react to him like this:

" Do I talk first or do you talk first? I can't really understand you through that voice modulator." Making a joke right off the bat kills all the dread that the character could have otherwise built up.

Leia didn't seem threatened by Vader at all in the early scenes of the movie, she pretty much just starts lecturing him right off the bat. Even when he interrogates her, she seems somewhat more scared of the robot.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Leia didn't seem threatened by Vader at all in the early scenes of the movie, she pretty much just starts lecturing him right off the bat. Even when he interrogates her, she seems somewhat more scared of the robot.
    There's not being afraid and then there's making quips about the characters voice and a large gulf of difference in between.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Actually I'd like to throw out one additional thing they could have done. The EU was approaching an ending. They should have done a 5 book ending series and hit that end we were promised.
    Crucible was intended to be the ending of it all (despite not being the last book published, nor the last chronological story). It didn't work, IMHO.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There's not being afraid and then there's making quips about the characters voice and a large gulf of difference in between.
    I think if Han had been faced with Vader, he would've made a similar quip.
    He's more of the type of character to add levity to a situation to reduce tension.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think if Han had been faced with Vader, he would've made a similar quip.
    He's more of the type of character to add levity to a situation to reduce tension.
    Except he didn't:

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I've never felt the Kylo was treated as a joke.
    Really? I actually like Kylo Ren but both he (and Hux) are treated like clowns almost constantly. About the only time Kylo Ren got to shine was against the Praetorian Guards.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Except he didn't:
    Yeah, there was that.
    I still think Poe is somewhat modeled after Solo, though.

Maybe he comes off as more Peter Quill because that's become the acceptable image of a cocky scoundrel type these days.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Really? I actually like Kylo Ren but both he (and Hux) are treated like clowns almost constantly. About the only time Kylo Ren got to shine was against the Praetorian Guards.
    To be fair I'd argue the whole First Order were treated like jokes in TLJ. Sure there were humorous scenes with them in TFA but they still came off as a threat.

Star Wars is rich in source material, meaning the Old EU (or Legends stuff). I find the EU is a constant source of inspiration while writing my own little fanfic stories. I'm sad Kennedy seems ignorant of this, but oh well.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Star Wars is rich in source material, meaning the Old EU (or Legends stuff). I find the EU is a constant source of inspiration while writing my own little fanfic stories. I'm sad Kennedy seems ignorant of this, but oh well.
    The "Star Wars Story" movies have all had deep cuts into the tie-ins. No one's forgetting them; they're just not as "important" as they used to be, and more a resource for other tie-ins.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yep. Also a lot of the EU has been re-integrated into the new Canon although with some alterations. I'm reading the Kanan comic series right now and it incorporates a bit of Depa Billaba's breakdown/coma from the Mace Windu novel SHATTERPOINT, although with some changes (She actually recovers, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The "Star Wars Story" movies have all had deep cuts into the tie-ins. No one's forgetting them; they're just not as "important" as they used to be, and more a resource for other tie-ins.
    Still, I can't help but wonder how much of a fan Kennedy is of Star Wars if she thinks it "lacks source material" (from the novels to the games to animation to comic books there has been plenty), seems like a stupid thing to say.

Kathleen isn't really involved with the story group so she seems a bit out of the loop, but as far as the series/movies themselves go, plenty has been mined from the original EU. It's mainly the storylines that have been overriden, especially the post-ROTJ ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kathleen isn't really involved with the story group so she seems a bit out of the loop, but as far as the series/movies themselves go, plenty has been mined from the original EU. It's mainly the storylines that have been overriden, especially the post-ROTJ ones.
    I'm of the mind most of the storylines could have stayed. There is a thirty-year freakin' gap between ROTJ and TFA. Heir to the Empire (or the Thrawn Trilogy) could have easily been incorporated (in some form) into the new canon, for example, especially given how Rebels ended.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-10-2019 at 05:39 PM.