Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Still, I can't help but wonder how much of a fan Kennedy is of Star Wars if she thinks it "lacks source material" (from the novels to the games to animation to comic books there has been plenty), seems like a stupid thing to say.
    It's not a stupid thing to say, since Star Wars movies never borrowed whole cloth from the comics. Lucas took some odds and ends, Couruscant and Ayla Secura, for example, but it was always modified; he just borrowed the name of the capital and used a piece of art as the basis for a background character. Disney-era LucasFilm has been more "respectful" to the tie-in then Lucas ever was.

Also, the EU is not the source material for the movies; the movies are the source material for the EU. That has always been how the Force works. The movies come first and everything follows. If anything, Kennedy is showing that she has a pretty good handle on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm of the mind most of the storylines could have stayed. There is a thirty-year freakin' gap between ROTJ and TFA. Heir to the Empire (or the Thrawn Trilogy) could have easily been incorporated (in some form) into the new canon, for example, especially given how Rebels ended.
    No, too much interconnectivity and alt-universe events. Besides, would it be better to have a messy continuity that was slowly rebooted in full over time, or a clean reboot that left both iterations intact and whole?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I've never felt the Kylo was treated as a joke.
    Pff, that actually made me chuckle.

Oh i don't know...man child who trows tantrums? Yes, check. Incompetent? Definitely check. An emo crybaby? Check, check, do you read me?

But yeah, never ever. Didn't happen at all. And that's why he's such a respected and loved character lol.
    "A bottomless pit is the safest place to be"

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's not a stupid thing to say, since Star Wars movies never borrowed whole cloth from the comics. Lucas took some odds and ends, Couruscant and Ayla Secura, for example, but it was always modified; he just borrowed the name of the capital and used a piece of art as the basis for a background character. Disney-era LucasFilm has been more "respectful" to the tie-in then Lucas ever was.

Also, the EU is not the source material for the movies; the movies are the source material for the EU. That has always been how the Force works. The movies come first and everything follows. If anything, Kennedy is showing that she has a pretty good handle on things.

No, too much interconnectivity and alt-universe events. Besides, would it be better to have a messy continuity that was slowly rebooted in full over time, or a clean reboot that left both iterations intact and whole?
    It's still a stupid thing to say when the Disney era movies have borrowed material and used characters from the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's still a stupid thing to say when the Disney era movies have borrowed material and used characters from the EU.
    Thing is, they're not required to. They have never been required to. In fact, the movies were never made to conform to the EU or build off their stories. Why are we complaining about it now?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Thing is, they're not required to. They have never been required to. In fact, the movies were never made to conform to the EU or build off their stories. Why are we complaining about it now?
    Because someone actually said aloud what was only unspoken before: the EU doesn't really matter. It's never bothered me, so I don't understand the issue myself but that's the bones of the beef.

The post-ROTJ original EU had the conflict with the Empire's remnants go on far longer (around 15 years), several plotlines involving Han and Leia's three kids, and Luke build a relatively stable Jedi order. All three which didn't really fit with Disney's plans for the sequels.

If anything I think the sequel trilogy somewhat fits more a bit closely more with the Legacy comics in a few ways, which had a similar conflict to the OT like the new trilogy does, but with some interesting twists and turns.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth