Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Disney should have used some of George Lucas's ideas for this trilogy that much is clear.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 12-18-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Disney should have used some of George Lucas's ideas for this trilogy that much is clear.
    Well, seeing as their only flop was directly based off of ideas he gave them, I can't say I see the logic in that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, seeing as their only flop was directly based off of ideas he gave them, I can't say I see the logic in that.
    Lucas is not to blame. Disney is to blame for the flop of Solo. Lucas may give them ideas, they don't know how to execute. Disney were also going to struggle to get star wars right, no one thought they would struggle this much.

Spectacular Member

I don't think Luca's input would help much at this point. He lost whatever skills he had as a filmmaker long ago. His prequels were horrible. They were showing the Revenge of the Sith on TV again because of the new movies release. I had to turn away from it after a couple of minutes because I couldn't take Hayden Christiansen's god awful line deliveries for more than a few moments.

Kennedy on the other is absolutely worthless. What the heck did she ever do to make people think she could run this franchise. All the women ever did was hitch her wagon to Spielberg and Luca's and rode them to success. Her comments just show how clueless she is. If Kevin Feige Star Wars film is a critical and commercial success they should just hand the Star Wars franchise over to him as well.

Ultimate Member

Lucas is an effective ideas man provided he had someone there to reign him in at times. Just, don't have him direct the film or write the script. The PT is brimming with ambition and potentially interesting ideas, and cool new stuff, etc. The execution od what let it down?

But the ST suffers from a lack of ambition and execution.

As for Kennedy, she's proven that she's no Kevin Feige or John Lasseter, that's for sure.

Kennedy seems to be giving enough control of the Disney+ stuff to Favreau and Filoni at this point, although I think Resistance was a Filoni project that didn't do too well. Also I'm not too sure if the force healing shown in the Mandalorian right before TROS using the same trick is a coincidence.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Lucas is not to blame. Disney is to blame for the flop of Solo. Lucas may give them ideas, they don't know how to execute.
    That's true, given where the buck stops, but I find it ironic that the movies they invented from whole cloth turned out better then the one based on ideas they were given.

Disney were also going to struggle to get star wars right, no one thought they would struggle this much.[/QUOTE]

They got it right four out of five times (and that "failure" was actually pretty good for what it was). Give the devil his due.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's hard to imagine a time when Star Wars wasn't the ubiquitous pop culture presence it is now, but the early 90s were definitely a low ebb for the franchise as fans had mostly moved on, the prequels were still years away, and the merchandising well had more or less run dry. Those EU novels, comics, and games really helped to keep the flame burning, so to speak, and were actually the entry point into Star Wars for a lot of fans who would've been too young to catch the initial theatrical releases of the movies.

That being said though, the old EU fiction was straight garbage no matter how much you slice it. Pretty much cookie cutter genre fiction with derivative plots, lousy writing, and pretty much no character development, as the main heroes had to remain effectively indistinguishable from how we last saw them in the films. And as time went on the timeline just got so bloated and became impossible to rectify, wiping it entirely was a necessary step.
    I wouldn't lump all of the old EU fiction together like that. The Thrawn Trilogy was excellent. And I know there were other books- either as part of a series, or individual books, that were really good. But I do agree that not all of it was great. I hated the Dark Next Trilogy, and the Corellian Trilogy was some of the worst written trash I've ever had the misfortune to buy. It was the first time I bought a book and found numerous typos- and that was just in the first chapter.

It is amazing how time changes a person mind and you can do 360, I did this thread thinking that having source material would be assets. But after seeing some fan reaction to TROS(and the last jedi) it is clear their solid chunk of the fanbase that feels that it has an ownership of the property and it is kinda of toxic. I am of the mindset now that clean slate was probably good thing and quicker they move away from the beloved material and characters that fans feel like they own the better. I see the success Rogue One and Malandorian and think that is future of Star Wars. It is weird I think pulling too heavily on any past Star Wars thing is bad,If a large group Star Fans can say "it is supposed to be like" then content might face the same problem as the last two movies.

Ultimate Member

Umm Mrs. Kennedy, you're the President of a company that's been putting out novels, comics, video games, TV shows, etc for over FORTY YEARS!! What do you mean you have "nothing to draw from?" If anything, you have FAR more material to draw from than Harry Potter does.

It seems that "Rise" sort of drew from both DARK EMPIRE and the fairly obscure (and weird) Jedi Prince books.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is amazing how time changes a person mind and you can do 360, I did this thread thinking that having source material would be assets. But after seeing some fan reaction to TROS(and the last jedi) it is clear their solid chunk of the fanbase that feels that it has an ownership of the property and it is kinda of toxic. I am of the mindset now that clean slate was probably good thing and quicker they move away from the beloved material and characters that fans feel like they own the better. I see the success Rogue One and Malandorian and think that is future of Star Wars. It is weird I think pulling too heavily on any past Star Wars thing is bad,If a large group Star Fans can say "it is supposed to be like" then content might face the same problem as the last two movies.
    You raise a good point, but I also think it hurt them to try to use familiar characters to continue a story that already had a satisfying conclusion. Worse, that off screen these heroes suffered terrible failures when that's just not part of their natures. It wasn't a failure to draw from three source material. It was a failure to be respectful about using it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    You have to realize that the people involved in the purchase and running of Lucasfilm were primarily interested in the movie aspect of the franchise. They ignored the rest because they primarily were movie people. To them stuff like the games/novels/comics were just ephemera that could be discarded and downplayed. Their goal was to crank out as many movies (to pay for the 4 billion dollar purchase of Lucasfilm) and maybe setup SW as a new MCU (which has failed). The powers that be simply did not understand the importance of the lore or the wealth of material of the Expanded Universe or that the SW brand needed to be maintained with the fans.

And despite the success of the MCU, they did NOT understand the shared universe aspect of the Legends Universe. Which is natural since they comes from an environment that venerates the director as an auteur and the movie as the vision of that one person (never mind that it's not true).
    Disney didn’t ignore the EU...Disney adopted and disnified much of the EU, Raven, Bane, Thrawn,

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Umm Mrs. Kennedy, you're the President of a company that's been putting out novels, comics, video games, TV shows, etc for over FORTY YEARS!! What do you mean you have "nothing to draw from?" If anything, you have FAR more material to draw from than Harry Potter does.
    The EU is not source material. It's always been a supplement to the movies, not the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It seems that "Rise" sort of drew from both DARK EMPIRE and the fairly obscure (and weird) Jedi Prince books.
    But was that on purpose or happenstance?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The EU is not source material. It's always been a supplement to the movies, not the source material.
    No use trying to play semantics now in Disney's defense. There was literally decades of source material for Disney to drawn upon before they started their new trilogy, if they were smart enough to see what was already in place. Yet in their arrogance Disney decided to disregard everything that came before and try to push their shallow imitation of Star Wars upon unsuspecting audiences. The end result is a failed trilogy and a wrecked brand, all because Disney ignored the achievements of the EU.
    Last edited by Kintor; 12-27-2019 at 01:30 AM.