Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Lucas is an effective ideas man provided he had someone there to reign him in at times. Just, don't have him direct the film or write the script. The PT is brimming with ambition and potentially interesting ideas, and cool new stuff, etc. The execution od what let it down?

But the ST suffers from a lack of ambition and execution.

As for Kennedy, she's proven that she's no Kevin Feige or John Lasseter, that's for sure.
    Quoted for truth.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is amazing how time changes a person mind and you can do 360, I did this thread thinking that having source material would be assets. But after seeing some fan reaction to TROS(and the last jedi) it is clear their solid chunk of the fanbase that feels that it has an ownership of the property and it is kinda of toxic. I am of the mindset now that clean slate was probably good thing and quicker they move away from the beloved material and characters that fans feel like they own the better. I see the success Rogue One and Malandorian and think that is future of Star Wars. It is weird I think pulling too heavily on any past Star Wars thing is bad,If a large group Star Fans can say "it is supposed to be like" then content might face the same problem as the last two movies.
    Very good point.

It's telling that there's no consensus amongst fans on the new Star Wars movies (even Solo has some people campaigning for a sequel and #thankyouJJabrams was trending on Twitter on Xmas eve).

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    No use trying to play semantics now in Disney's defense.
    Just stating the way things are; heck, LucasFilm acknowledged the tie-ins far less under Lucas then the ever did under Disney; Both Rogue One and Rise of Skywalker reference events from the cartoons in some form and Solo is a treasure trove of old EU/Legends Easter eggs.

There was literally decades of source material for Disney to drawn upon before they started their new trilogy, if they were smart enough to see what was already in place.
    Just like how George Lucas ignored the years of materials when making the prequels (and later the Clone Wars cartoon). I really don't get why anyone's surprised that the current filmmakers have a similar approach.

Yet in their arrogance Disney decided to disregard everything that came before and try to push their shallow imitation of Star Wars upon unsuspecting audiences. The end result is a failed trilogy and a wrecked brand, all because Disney ignored the achievements of the EU.
    I read most of the EU at one time or another; believe you me that deciding to follow Lucas's example and not be bound by them was one of the smartest decisions made by LucasFilm when restarting the film series.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Just stating the way things are; heck, LucasFilm acknowledged the tie-ins far less under Lucas then the ever did under Disney; Both Rogue One and Rise of Skywalker reference events from the cartoons in some form and Solo is a treasure trove of old EU/Legends Easter eggs.

Just like how George Lucas ignored the years of materials when making the prequels (and later the Clone Wars cartoon). I really don't get why anyone's surprised that the current filmmakers have a similar approach.

I read most of the EU at one time or another; believe you me that deciding to follow Lucas's example and not be bound by them was one of the smartest decisions made by LucasFilm when restarting the film series.
    Lucas was aware of the comics, books, games etc. He say those things never existed. Under Kennedy the films she is responsible for clearly were influenced by EU and to say they have nothing to draw from makes her look like an idiot.

To adapt the EU would be pretty tricky considering a lot of the novels/comics take place when the main characters are still relatively young.

I think the timeline of the sequel trilogy roughly corresponds with the Swarm War trilogy, which basically had the main characters fight with or against all the insect aliens of Star Wars. It was sort of an epilogue to the NJO and set up The Legacy of the Force novels. Saga-wise it was mostly relevant for being the series where Luke and Leia discovered the full truth via R2-D2's recordings about their father's downfall (As "Revenge of the Sith" had just come out), including the identity of their mother (Luke previously had followed a false lead in the "Black Fleet crisis" trilogy).

Don't think it would've worked as a movie series though.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    To adapt the EU would be pretty tricky considering a lot of the novels/comics take place when the main characters are still relatively young.

I think the timeline of the sequel trilogy roughly corresponds with the Swarm War trilogy, which basically had the main characters fight with or against all the insect aliens of Star Wars. It was sort of an epilogue to the NJO and set up The Legacy of the Force novels. Saga-wise it was mostly relevant for being the series where Luke and Leia discovered the full truth via R2-D2's recordings about their father's downfall (As "Revenge of the Sith" had just come out), including the identity of their mother (Luke previously had followed a false lead in the "Black Fleet crisis" trilogy).

Don't think it would've worked as a movie series though.
    Disney nuked the EU so there's no need to work in it. They just need to continue cheery picking elements of it into whatever they are working on. They will save themselves a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Disney nuked the EU so there's no need to work in it. They just need to continue cheery picking elements of it into whatever they are working on. They will save themselves a headache.
    Yeah and it would take a lot of exposition to have people catch up I think-even an opening crawl would probably not cover it up. "Luke has rebuilt the Jedi, Han and Leia had kids but two of them are dead, Peace with the Empire more or less, their daughter got married to Wedge's nephew, but then we got invaded by pain-loving technology-hating aliens etc....."
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Lucas wasn't really a big fan of the EU either, often referring to it as an "alternate universe". Most of the EU references in the prequels (apart from stuff like Coruscant and Quinlan Vos) were largely from DROIDS which he had sort of a small hand in.

It's likely that Lucas's concepts for the sequel trilogy would've tossed out EU material as well.
    One of the funniest and most ironic remarks I heard was from a friend of mine when we were playing the Star Wars roleplaying game and I mentioned that the way the Dark Side of the Force works in the game seems highly inconsistent from how it works in the movies. He blurted, "Yeah, Lucas really f****d things up with those lousy prequels". In his mind, it was the fault of the creator of the whole setting because his vision deviated from something made up for a game. Of course, in the current movies, we can't fall back on the creator of the stories being able to do what he wants.
    Power with Girl is better.

From Lucas's interviews in Cinescape and Starlog.

There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. "

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world."

"And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it."

"Once Vader dies, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

Then again, Lucas isn't the most consistent person. After ROTS was released he was pretty adamant that there never would be any more Star Wars movies, just the Clone Wars and the TV show. Then comes 2012....plus his many claims of having the whole saga mapped out perfectly from the beginning during many of the interviews from the prequels.
    When even the creator of Star Wars admits he was not read any of the other stuff and more or less rates it as equivalent to fan fiction (not canon), I feel a little better when people go into endless speeches about the EU stuff and I know nothing about it except what I hear because, to me, look, if it happened in the movies, it's canon. If it didn't, it's not- unless Lucas were to specifically say it is canon but, even then, we'd be talking about something a fraction of a percent of people know about compared to the movies. It's like people pointing out how Scotty or Uhura were never the main character in the original Star Trek compared to supporting characters in the Next Generation only to have someone inevitably say, "Well, in this Star Trek novel..." Bzzzz. All sources are not equal.

If we were talking about something that started as books like the Sherlock Holmes stories, then it would be the opposite. Do anything you want in a movie but the Doyle stories are what is canon.

From other interviews, he may have had 7, 8 and 9 mapped out but had no intention of making them largely because of the flack he got from the prequels.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 12-29-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.