Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I just find it funny that a lot of posters are triggered over a narrative that they have twisted fit their own agenda while predicating their arguments solely on semantics. Mutants have never done anything to hurt humans and mutants are not obliged to commune with flatscans if they do not feel the need to, especially when said mutants have a nation to call their own and is self-sustaining to boot.

It's times like this where I find myself waiting for humankind's extinction with glee, because flatscans and the mutates that pacify them are useless in the grand evolutionary paradigm.
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    X-Men: They have saved children kidnapped by ORCHIS and it seems they intend to help the people of Arakko.

Marauders: Rescue mutants from countries where they are mistreated

Fallen Angels: They are chasing a mysterious being who is distributing a drug that is killing human children.

X-Force: They are defending themselves from people who want to kill them

Excalibur and New Mutants are the only ones in which you can argue that they do not help the common good.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    But they are doing exactly that, as Glio pointed out. Just because Cyclops and Storm sounded bitter at X-Men #1 or Sunspot says what I say every time I'm reminded Elon Musk exists in New Mutants #1, doesn't mean they aren't dedicated to the common good.
    Ok, they do good things, I trust you on that.
    I just want to say that protecting your own people doesn't count (as an altruistic behaviour) as it should be a desinteressed gesture. You help yours, they will help you back, one day. Spider-man didn't have much recognition in his hero lifetime.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Fang X View Post
    It's times like this where I find myself waiting for humankind's extinction with glee, because flatscans and the mutates that pacify them are useless in the grand evolutionary paradigm.
    I'll never understand this wave of triumphantism that has swept the X-Men fanbase. Have you forgotten the one rule that Moira learnt from her many lives? I'll remind you - Mutants always lose. The pursuit of an evolutionary paradigm means nothing when greater humanity embraces transhumanist technologies. It's self-directed evolution, not just for the next generation but even those already born 'flatscans' can all outpace Mutants at an exponential rate. So really, be a bit more humble, Mutant supremacism is quite a misplaced notion.
    Last edited by Kintor; 11-24-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I'll never understand this wave of triumphantism that has swept the X-Men fanbase. Have you forgotten the one rule that Moira learnt from her many lives? I'll remind you - Mutants always lose. The pursuit of an evolutionary paradigm means nothing when greayer humanity embraces transhumanist technologies. It's self-directed evolution, not just for the next generation but even those already born 'flatscans' can all outpace Mutants at an exponential rate. So really, be a bit more humble, Mutant supremacism is quite a misplaced notion.
    To be fair, the X-Men seem to be going about things a different way this time so a defeat isn't necessarily a given. Xavier and Magneto have left everyone in the dark about the reality of mutantdom's fate so they can architect a grand plan to avoid it. We'll see how things turn out, but I think you're on the right track in saying mutant supremacism is misplaced.

What I'm interested in seeing is seeing if there's more to post-humans than ending up integrated into a computer intelligence. Or if in this timeline someone manages to break that loop and open up the possibility of genuine post-human civilization. That might shake things up a bit.

I think part of the problem is in viewing mutants and humans as a separate species rather than the evolutionary successor. In that, using the language of replace makes it seem as if they are some invading race that will take the world away from humans. The way that Xavier phrased it, it seems more like a threat rather an assurance that humanity won’t disappear, but merely evolve further as mutants are still humans.

The Moira futures are really the only ones we've seen where humanity goes the full transhumanism angle. That didn't happen in the Franklin Richards future, the Ironheart future, or the Old Woman Laura future, among others. Its present in the 2099 universe, but its not dominant, and mutants are almost totally gone before that point anyway. We're given so little detail on how we got to those points its hard to say they were even 'bad' futures. They were certainly terrible for mutants, and Phalanx and Nimrod are really creepy, but to say 'this is the inevitable path of humanity' when there are so many factors involved that are just broadly skipped over makes it hard to take anything from it.

The X-men kind of haven't done much objective good for a while now. Saving those kids was the right thing to do, but it was portrayed as 'let's save these mutant kids'. Right now they primarily are concerned with protecting mutants and mutant interests. Even in Fallen Angels they didn't set out to save anyone; they're just following a trail in Psylock's murder quest. All this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does make them less heroic. Its something to keep in mind and pay attention too going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I'll never understand this wave of triumphantism that has swept the X-Men fanbase. Have you forgotten the one rule that Moira learnt from her many lives? I'll remind you - Mutants always lose. The pursuit of an evolutionary paradigm means nothing when greater humanity embraces transhumanist technologies. It's self-directed evolution, not just for the next generation but even those already born 'flatscans' can all outpace Mutants at an exponential rate. So really, be a bit more humble, Mutant supremacism is quite a misplaced notion.
    See people pick up that mutants are the superior and will inherit earth so easily is disturbing. I don't think we ever saw a future with only mutants and humanity extict

yeah, humans gave a new spin by going full with genetic manipulation. And that isn't wrong, if evolution doesn't come naturally it have to come one way or another. Mutants also did the same but it backfired because of sinister.

I still think Mutants and Humans are set to share earth, but start fighting because of fear of going extinct

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I think part of the problem is in viewing mutants and humans as a separate species rather than the evolutionary successor. In that, using the language of replace makes it seem as if they are some invading race that will take the world away from humans. The way that Xavier phrased it, it seems more like a threat rather an assurance that humanity won’t disappear, but merely evolve further as mutants are still humans.
    This; most of the unease/criticism is coming from the choice of phrasing. It sounds far more aggressive than it was probably meant, but also totally divisive, if not outright dismissive of the fact that, as pointed out here, mutants are still human. I don't get why pointing that out results in such anger around here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    the problem with that stament is that not all humans will evolve to mutants. Only a minority of the humans have latent X-genes to produce mutants by themselves. The X-gene has been spread around all the world since the appereance of the first mutants but it doesnt mean that all the humans have the potencial to spaw a mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    This; most of the unease/criticism is coming from the choice of phrasing. It sounds far more aggressive than it was probably meant, but also totally divisive, if not outright dismissive of the fact that, as pointed out here, mutants are still human. I don't get why pointing that out results in such anger around here.
    Charles Xavier is or was a clever man ; he knew exactly the kind of reaction he would get by saying that. He was seeking total surrender… unless his cleverness got lost in the same place where he lost his good nature.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Ok, they do good things, I trust you on that.
    I just want to say that protecting your own people doesn't count (as an altruistic behaviour) as it should be a desinteressed gesture. You help yours, they will help you back, one day. Spider-man didn't have much recognition in his hero lifetime.
    So Steve Rogers is not being a hero when he protects Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    So Steve Rogers is not being a hero when he protects Americans?
    Difference being is that Steve Rogers would/does protect EVERYONE. Being Captain America never stopped him from trying to do what he thought would help everyone not just one group of people.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Difference being is that Steve Rogers would/does protect EVERYONE. Being Captain America never stopped him from trying to do what he thought would help everyone not just one group of people.
    If he’s protecting anti-mutant bigots, then he’s not protecting mutants.

Mutants have also protected (and protect, as seen in Fallen Angels) humans apart from mutants. You only have to see in Second Coming for example that Cyclops deployed groups in San Francisco to help humans trapped in the dome at the expense of allocating more troops to defend Utopia.

In War of the Realms, the X-Men dedicated themselves to protecting many humans in New York. And so many examples.

BANNED

Civil War (was only protecting vigilantes)
    Time Runs Out (was only protecting his ego)