Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What do you think Nick Spencer's impact will be on the brand?

All the writers who have been on Spider-Man long enough have made their impact felt on the brand, both within the comics, and in other mediums. Even as recently as Dan Slott, you have Otto Octavius as Spider-Man (which also completely changed his characterization for better or for worse), his rogues Mr. Negative and Screwball being characters in Spider-Man PS4, and of course Spider-Verse inspiring the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse movie. Though the Superior Spider-Man bit was undone by...sigh... Mephisto (goddammit).

So with that said, what do you think will be Nick Spencer's overall impact on the brand later on both in the comics and on the outside? It'll be fun to see how our predictions line up in the future.

Some that come to mind:
    • Boomerang's characterization and arc will be heavily patterned off of Spencer's portrayal of him, from his personality, nuances and relationship with Peter, not to mention his appearance itself (which was already seen in Ultimate Spider-Man).
    • Lady Beetle will be heavily characterized by Spencer's portrayal of her, and we're likely to see her in other mediums. Her character was heavily retooled by Spencer, after she debuted fighting Bucky and Black Widow, she was tied to the Spider-Man mythos and the Scott Lang Ant-Man, and we have him to thank for that.
    • Kindred being set up as a major villain for Spider-Man, which will undoubtedly be a major villain contribution for Spencer both in the comics and out.

Anything else to note?
    Last edited by Hybrid; 11-21-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Ana isn't the new Kraven the Hunter. His clone is.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Oh yeah. I got it mixed up tbh. It's weird because I read through it multiple time but I guessed I just skimmed through that part due to how much was going on.

Still, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I think Ana was Kraven the Hunter for a while, but then she went to limbo, and Kraven still kept showing up, so I guess it went back to him quietly.

But yeah, that clone will be Kraven the Hunter now, I wonder what his characterization will be like, although, from what we see in Hunted, he's not that different from Classic Kraven...

Peter's graduate studies will likely carry over to the next writer. If he does get his doctorates, then he'll be Dr. Parker officially (and legally). If he doesn't and keeps studying, then the next writer will keep it up

Do you think the OG Kraven will be another example of a Comic Book Death where he eventually comes back somehow? How long until then if so?

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Do you think the OG Kraven will be another example of a Comic Book Death where he eventually comes back somehow? How long until then if so?
    I think that clone was made precisely to avoid that, since he's identical to Kraven in appearance, and probably will be in personality.

Wonder if we'll have writers who'll get confused and think that clone is the Kraven and not some clone lol.

BANNED

He has been a little more than a year. Hard to talk about impact so soon.

I’d say it would depend on Kindred.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    He has been a little more than a year. Hard to talk about impact so soon.

I’d say it would depend on Kindred.
    Hence it's a prediction thread. My best predictions of course come in the form of his take on Boomerang, Lady Beetle, and Kindred. Now I wonder if Clone Kraven will be a permanent fixture.

Mighty Member

Don't know his impact in the long game, but for the moment he is doing a very good job. For me, best spider-man arc since Superior Spider-man.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Interesting question.

Some parts are a bit early to tell. If he nails the landing with Kindred, he may have a pivotal story with an A-list villain, either something that elevated a minor character or provided a new arc for a major player. But if it doesn't work out, that won't be a great part of his legacy.

Beyond that, he did reunite Peter and MJ, and create a new dynamic for Boomerang.

I don't think the Kraven developments were a positive, although I do like how he built on Clone Conspiracy for the Lizard.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think writers will be more comfortable using Mary Jane now.

Arrow

I think Spencer's Era will be remembered as a palate cleanser that restored Spider-Man to his roots after the radical experimentation of the Slott Era, for good or for ill.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think Spencer's Era will be remembered as a palate cleanser that restored Spider-Man to his roots after the radical experimentation of the Slott Era, for good or for ill.
    Slott’s era wasn’t radical nor was it experimental. It was largely conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Slott’s era wasn’t radical nor was it experimental. It was largely conservative.
    I disagree with your assessment. Given epoch setting storylines such as Superior, Spiderverse, Parker Industries, exact, along with Slott's reliance on never-ending major events, it was indeed radical and experimental.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."