Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I disagree with your assessment. Given epoch setting storylines such as Superior, Spiderverse, Parker Industries, exact, along with Slott's reliance on never-ending major events, it was indeed radical and experimental.
    I agree but I disagree as well. I agree with sbout the story settings and I have always felt that under Slott Peter was secondary to Spider-Man. ( that is a radical change). Spencer corrected that ASAP. At the same time, Pete was weak ( as I stated earlier like pre-Stern weak Parker).

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I don’t think the issue of the Kindred Candidates is the same because whether it’s Harry or Gwen, those are characters a good chunk of the fandom know about. Harry thanks to the Raimi movies, cartoons and so on, Gwen thanks to Emma Stone and so on.
    Harry tends to get a representation that is pretty similar to 616's, so you're right, he'd be okay, Gwen is the real issue though, if you go by Emma Stone, you'll assume that she knew that Peter is Spidey, but for most of her existence, she didn't, it's only Slott who retconned it to say she found out, about 10 seconds before she died, so it wouldn't make much of a difference with, or without that retcon.

That and, y'know, the completely different personalities, but I guess one should expect that of Gwen.

I personally think the Green Goblin mystery worked for the most part. Ditko absolutely intended it to be Norman. So the appearances from before match up. I think the way that Lee did it was interesting, Peter befriends Harry anc finds pug he’s been a jerk because of daddy issues and then finds out his Dad is goblin. And at the end of the story he finds an amnesiac Norman a part of his supporting cast which adds a lot of tension and suspense. The Raimi movies also milked tension and suspense. You as a viewer knew who the Goblin was but it made Peter and Osborn’s interactions really tense especially the Thanksgiving scene.
    I just don't tend to like how any sort of hint to solve a mystery only shows up in the end, which is basically what happened with the Green Goblin mystery, with Norman being a nobody until ASM#37, it's basically a "Hey, remember this guy who never mattered? Well here's what he's like, oh and he's the villain!!!"

The problem with the Hobgoblin mystery is that Kingsley is just not a very good character. I mean the Kingsley that Stern wrote in Spectacular and a few of his ASM appearances. It would not affect Peter’s life one whit if and when he found out Kingsley is Hobgoblin because readers had no reason to care for him.
    Yeah, and if he was Hobgoblin, then there was that lame cop out with his twin brother, I can see why Peter David made it be Ned, even though that was a dumb decision too...

Well with the Goblins, there were some teases, but they weren't really presented as the book's main thing and were more interesting because the stories where they fought Peter were good. So there's less pressure for it to be someone super important and relevant unlike Mr. HUEGH HUEGH I'M AROUND EVERY CORNA GUESS MY NAME PETEY-BOY YOU AND ME SPIDEY K-I-S-S-I-N-G. It was more tolerable for the reveals to not really bring it because they didn't really promise that they would, they just promised that these were dangerous villains.

So here's why Kindred should be the cop who talked to Peter outside the house in AF #15--
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Well with the Goblins, there were some teases, but they weren't really presented as the book's main thing and were more interesting because the stories where they fought Peter were good. So there's less pressure for it to be someone super important and relevant unlike Mr. HUEGH HUEGH I'M AROUND EVERY CORNA GUESS MY NAME PETEY-BOY YOU AND ME SPIDEY K-I-S-S-I-N-G. It was more tolerable for the reveals to not really bring it because they didn't really promise that they would, they just promised that these were dangerous villains.

So here's why Kindred should be the cop who talked to Peter outside the house in AF #15--
    That ending killed me harder than Uncle Ben XD Hahaha

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, it's been awhile since Spencer knocked an issue out of the park, much less killing it on a full arc. I feel like he's kind of spinning wheels until he can pull the trigger on Kindred. The book hasn't become bad, in my opinion, but it's getting dangerously close to feeling mediocre.

I have confidence that Spencer can right the ship, though. The solicitations for next year look promising.

As for the impact of his run, it's waaaay too soon to say. We haven't even had the Kindred reveal yet.
    Come on guys, I agree that the female team up and the 2099 event have been meh, but the Absolute Carnage tie ins were absolute gold, two of the finest issues in this run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Come on guys, I agree that the female team up and the 2099 event have been meh, but the Absolute Carnage tie ins were absolute gold, two of the finest issues in this run.
    Don’t forget ASM#29.

When books like "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" and "Life-Story" are telling better and tightly plotted stories without events, then something is wrong. Warren is right; this title is spinning its wheels to wait until Kindred is revealed.

Yeah, was surprised that one ended up being good, even though I have issues with Peter beating some bootleg Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    When books like "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" and "Life-Story" are telling better and tightly plotted stories without events, then something is wrong. Warren is right; this title is spinning its wheels to wait until Kindred is revealed.
    Honestly, aside from like, two issues, FNSM is kinda whatever, and I don't see all the hype behind Life-Story aside from the first issue lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah, was surprised that one ended up being good, even though I have issues with Peter beating some bootleg Carnage.

Honestly, aside from like, two issues, FNSM is kinda whatever, and I don't see all the hype behind Life-Story aside from the first issue lol.
    Personal opinions aside, both of those titles were telling better stories. Spencer's run is good thus far, but he was great before all this nonsense with Hunted, Kindred, AC, and 2099. The last time we even had a regular single issue of ASM was #29. We're on #34. That's utterly ridiculous. If this title is able to continue being great, Spencer needs to not be caught up in so many events and go back to telling the exciting stories while fixing continuity issues. Otherwise, this run is DOA before it really began.

BANNED

Spencer's run is good thus far, but he was great before all this nonsense with Hunted, Kindred, AC, and 2099.
    Kindred showed up in Spencer’s first ASM issue. Lead-ins to Hunted was likewise set up early in Spencer’s run. 2099 event was set up I think in ASM#25.

So I am curious about this before that you speak of? Spencer’s run has been pretty unified so far. And of a piece.

The last time we even had a regular single issue of ASM was #29. We're on #34. That's utterly ridiculous.
    Bi-monthly my dude. ASM#29 was just three months back.

If this title is able to continue being great, Spencer needs to not be caught up in so many events and go back to telling the exciting stories while fixing continuity issues.
    So far there have been only two events. A big one with HUNTED and a smaller event with 2099.

Otherwise, this run is DOA before it really began.
    At 34 issues which is approaching the Ditko line, Spencer’s run isn’t DOA. Begun, his run has.

I am really weirded out by this writer’s only as good as the last issue logic. I remember some people here liking the previous issues snd disliking this one while I like this issue and others dislike it.

And in any case Spencer’s 2099 Alpha is quite good. Spencer writes Doom well.

BANNED

Where and when do you guys think we'll see the fallout of Knull being free and coming to Earth ?

BANNED

Where and when do you guys think we'll see the fallout of Knull being free and coming to Earth ?
    Cates’ Venom.

Personal opinions aside, both of those titles were telling better stories. Spencer's run is good thus far, but he was great before all this nonsense with Hunted, Kindred, AC, and 2099. The last time we even had a regular single issue of ASM was #29. We're on #34. That's utterly ridiculous. If this title is able to continue being great, Spencer needs to not be caught up in so many events and go back to telling the exciting stories while fixing continuity issues. Otherwise, this run is DOA before it really began.
    I agree about Life Story being a better story, debatable on FNSW, again, it's largely forgettable.

Also, "regular single issue" are just less of a thing with comics these days, and Spencer's run is no exception, since only ASM#1 (It's part of the "back to basics" arc, but it's pretty much self contained), #24, #25 and #29 are the single issue stories in his run, that's a total of 4 issues, 5 if we count annual#1.

Keep in mind, I do prefer single issue stories, but longer arcs can be interesting too, and I don't think it should be held against a writer if he chooses one or the other, unless he does a bad job at either/both.

Make no mistake: the book is still better than it was. But that's the problem with starting off high and setting expectations through the roof. I kind of want future issues to reflect the high quality of the first 15 issues. All I'm saying is that Spencer is in danger of that with so much going on in this book. I still like it, but I'm waiting to love it again.

BANNED

Make no mistake: the book is still better than it was. But that's the problem with starting off high and setting expectations through the roof. I kind of want future issues to reflect the high quality of the first 15 issues. All I'm saying is that Spencer is in danger of that with so much going on in this book. I still like it, but I'm waiting to love it again.
    There’s a line from a movie The Bad and the Beautiful:
    I could make this scene a climax. I could make every scene in this picture a climax. If I did, I would be a bad director. And I like to think of myself as one of the best. A picture with all climaxes is like a necklace without a string. It falls apart. You must build to the big moment and sometimes, you must build slowly.

That applies to a monthly superhero ongoing especially a twice a month comic.