Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default Dawn of X: What are the books that have surprised/dissapointed you the most?

It is still to early but so far what is the book you have enjoyed the most?

What is the one that has dissapointed you more?

The biggest surprise to me was Fallen Angels, I thought on skipping it but so far it has been the one I enjoyed the most. It feels dark and different and I want to know more about the new Psylocke.

On the biggest dissapoinment it would be X-men, I love most of the characters there and was very excited for it but something feels off about their voices.

Excalibur is laying down nice seeds for future plots but it doesn't flow right to me yet. Art is amazing.

Fallen Angels is indeed very good, but the art didn't appeal to me. And I don't like Kwannon as a mentor figure to Laura and Kable.

Marauders and New Mutants are kind of my favourites and I was expecting it since I love the cast, but I also really, really liked X-Force and I didn't think I would have as much as I did.

I am definitely surprised that my favorite DOX book is New Mutants. I love everything about it. It's hitting all the right notes in my head and in my body. YUM.

Biggest disappointment is Excalibur. I love all the characters in it and the whole "culture building" theme teased in the interviews got me very excited, but yeah. I'm not feeling it.

My biggest surprise has definitely been X-Force. I have gone from not even being interested in it to it being my favorite title of the launch.

Marauders has been my biggest disappointment. I'm a sucker for Bishop, Storm and Pyro but honestly with the hype I was just expecting a lot more out of this. For me it's too fun.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I’m enjoying all of them, some more than others, obviously, one or two issues isn’t really long enough for me to decide if I will keep buying them long term.

Excalibur is just gorgeous, I’m always a sucker for pretty books and Captain Britain.
    X-Men is impressing me least, but as I said, early days.

I really want to see more of Island life.

Only minor gripe is a serious lack of Elf based action, particularly as we have a pirate themed book. I’d mind much less if we had an in series reason for his absence. Or anyone noticing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I am definitely surprised that my favorite DOX book is New Mutants. I love everything about it. It's hitting all the right notes in my head and in my body. YUM.

Biggest disappointment is Excalibur. I love all the characters in it and the whole "culture building" theme teased in the interviews got me very excited, but yeah. I'm not feeling it.
    My soulmate <3

Biggest surprise has been Fallen Angels which I didnt want to hate because Im a contrarian but I ended up genuinely enjoying because Hill and Kuder are a dynamite team.

Surprise: Fallen Angels
    Disappointing : Excalibur

Surprised: Fallen Angels. I read it yesterday so I didn't comment on the thread when it was released, but the first issue was just amazing. The way Hill instantly made Kwannon an interesting compelling character we can root for is incredible. I like the dark moody art. The way the flashbacks were used was perfect. Maybe the best pacing of all issues so far. And I didn't have a problem with how Laura and Cable were written overall.

Disappointed: X-Men. I guess maybe it's a bit too soon to judge the whole book, as it has "standalone" issues and it's gonna explore a lot of things, but so far the two issues released were just... Meh.

BANNED

Nothing's been an outright disappointment to me. Excalibur is inconsistent and a bit of a hodgepodge, as I suspected it would be. I never felt the team or art was right. I'm giving it time to coalesce though, as I love Betsy, [A] and the concepts.

Fallen Angels was a big surprise, but I suspected for a while now it might be.

BANNED

My Favorite is Marauders, X-Men and X-Force.

To my surprised is: Fallen Angles honestly I thought it was going to be a boring book.

As for my Disappointment: I have to say Excalibur it's good, but i'm was hoping for something more.

Disappointments so far are Marauders and X-Men. The 1st two issues have had very little substance. Marauders is supposed to be the most important book right now according to Hickman but so far they haven't shown why.

So far, in disorder, I the good supposes are Marauders, X-Force, New Mutants and Fallen Angels. Fallen Angels because I didn't expect to enjoy anything about Kwannon.

Disappointement (even if I don't think they're bad) : X-Men & Excalibur. The first one because after HoX/PoX, that I am madly in love with, X-Men felt a bit "meh" to me. Excalibur because I just realize I'm no excited about reading next issue.

I haven't had any disappointments so far and it really is too early to judge but if have to choose one it would be X-men (despite having some of my favorites). The title so far only served to generate speculation about the romantic situation of some characters and in the second issue little interesting things happened besides having weak dialogues.

Favorites: Marauder (the best so far) and Excalibur.

BANNED

Excalibur has been the biggest disappointment. It has the most promise and arguably the largest canvas, and it’s just felt really pedestrian so far. I like Tini’s Betsy and Apocalypse and am curious about mutant magic, but the art is the least innovative, ambitious, distinct, and fantastical of the whole bunch. I just wanted more.

Marauders has been the biggest surprise. While not my favorite, I did not expect Duggan to make Kitty tolerable so quickly. I’m actually interested in what’s next for her, and I almost never say that about her.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I think all of the books are good, but I think the one that was the biggest surprise is Fallen Angels. In terms of characters, Kwannon, young Cable, and X-23 were definitely not draws for me; Kwannon is doing some heavy lifting here, and is a breakout "new" character.

In a way, New Mutants and Maraduers were surprising in that the starring characters have been saddled with bad writing/books for several years now, but with Hickman and Duggan on them, they had more confidence. In the case of Hill on FA, I was just unfamiliar and didn't have that confidence.

Biggest disappointment is probably X-Men, and really that's because I don't enjoy Yu's art. I think it's a big tonal misfire--would be better suited for something grittier, like X-Force. (I like the artist on X-Force, though, so I wouldn't move Yu over here.) It's a "dated" look for this fresh new era for mutants in that it was so heavily used during the Lost Decade that I cannot break that association. And, it feels like he's phoning it in. It was a tremendous drag having X-Men #1 have the same very flat, very stagnate team shot as the Uncanny X-Men covers he did a little while ago--took some away from an otherwise very electric wave of #1s.