Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Biggest disappointment is probably X-Men, and really that's because I don't enjoy Yu's art. I think it's a big tonal misfire--would be better suited for something grittier, like X-Force. (I like the artist on X-Force, though, so I wouldn't move Yu over here.) It's a "dated" look for this fresh new era for mutants in that it was so heavily used during the Lost Decade that I cannot break that association. And, it feels like he's phoning it in. It was a tremendous drag having X-Men #1 have the same very flat, very stagnate team shot as the Uncanny X-Men covers he did a little while ago--took some away from an otherwise very electric wave of #1s.
    Comics Lord, please here my prayer, and never move Yu to X-Force.
    I think that one of the reason I didn't enjoy X-Men that much, is Yu's art. It doesn't marry well with Hickman's writing. Like it didn't marry well Morrison's. I was expecting better art for this "flagship" book (can we consider that there are flagships books by the way? I'm not sure there are)

BANNED

Yu was firing on all cylinders in the early 00s and his NXM annual was fire. His time just past now.

Surprised how good Marauders is. I'm really liking it.

Slightly disappointed in X-Men

No real disappointments; I'm enjoying the whole slate so far. I do wish Yu was a better fit to Hickman's humor, though.

Definitely X-men for being the biggest disappointment. I was expecting big things from the title but the first issue was dull and the second was just flat out terrible. Having to write smaller more personal characters moments is highlighting Hickman’s weaknesses as a writer. While HOX/POX were tailor made to suit his strengths, so far X-men has not.

Fallen Angels for biggest surprise. Loved the first issue. Before DOX I was actually going to pass on it and I’m glad I didn’t. It’s a shame because I do feel it will be the title that gets lost in the shuffle. I would seriously be surprised if this title isn’t the first to get cancelled.

Marauders and Xforce have both been fantastic and I’m torn on Excalibur which is the title I want to love so bad.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Surprises: X-Force - probably due to the last volumes of the book being trash
    Marauders - well not really. I had faith in Duggan

Disappointments: Fallen Angels - but I'll give a proper critique after 1st arc ends
    Excali-bruh - Bruh
    "Cable was right!"

Surprises: X-Force, this was one of my most anticipated books, but I didn't expect it to be this good in the first issue and the preview for #2 looks like it's going to continue to be amazing.
    Fallen Angels, Didn't really have much excitement for this one way or the other but it hooked me pretty hard.

Disappointment: X-Men, I am still really enjoying the title, but after HoX and PoX I think I was expecting more outta the gate. It seems like it will be a slow build which Hickman is known for and it usually pays off. On top of that Yu at one point was my favorite artist, but recently I don't know, it's not bad but from what I've seen him do I just want more.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I am disappointed they didn't pick a different artist for X-men but other than the books have been good.

Surprise: Fallen Angels
    Disappointing : Excalibur and X-Men

Astonishing Member

Surprise: X-Men. I expect weak dialogue and characterization from Hickman but I’m surprised by how bad it’s been. Fallen Angels was the real shocker though. In one issue Hill managed to give me a great idea of who Kwannon is and set up a fascinating arc. I don’t care for the Wolverine family or Kid Cable but hopefully Hill gets around to making them compelling in future issues.

Disappointing: Excalibur. Looks great with cool world building but the story is disjointed and the voice of everyone not named Betsy or Apoc is weak. This really feels like this should’ve been a solo but for obvious reasons that probably wasn’t gonna happen. I’ll stick around to see if things improve though. Marauders also hasn’t been all that engaging either. Outside the fact I’d prefer another character be leading the team, it’s just boring for me.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

1. Marauders - I went in thinking it'd be good, at first the preview for issue 1 bummed me out some but the actual issues 1 and 2 are great. Combines humor, drama, character development (possibly down a dark path), action. What more can you even ask for? The art is amazing too.

2. New Mutants - Got concerned when heard it'd dilute the classic team but the lovely pseudo Sienkiewicz artwork combined with the wry and ironic humor has me massively hooked.

3. XMen - When I heard this would be more of an anthology book than a single continuous story I got a bit concerned. Overall it's been... important in terms of the plot for the Dawn of X status quo but the absence of facial expressions in the art and the strange and rigid dialogue is odd.

4. Fallen Angels - Always thought this had potential and boy did issue 1 deliver for me. Issue 2 preview seems amazing too. Only worry is the author said he will go on break.

5. XForce - Issue 1 was much more plot-based than I expected, this book seems almost "the most important" book to read to follow what's mainly happening in and around Krakoa. Fairly over the top with skinning Domino, and the cheesy fakeout about Xavier dying is lame. Also have deep concerns about the lineup. But we'll see.

6. Excalibur - Didn't expect much, and issue 1 was so boring I haven't even read issue 2. The only good things for this book are an attempt at Heroizing Apocalypse but the introduction of Coven Akkabba at the end of issue 1 threatened to nip that entire arc in the bud instantly. What a shame. Betsy Braddock as a Knight and Captain Britain is OK but not amazing for me. Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee? Shrugs shoulders. I feel like Rogue and Gambit are both more compelling characters APART. And Jubilee... actually was only really worth reading last for me under Christina Strain in Generation X. She captured the issues of going through life as a vampire really well, combined with raising Shogo. Wish we got more issues of that. Jubilee since has gone right back to just being irrelevant sidekick to me. Also I'm not a fan of "magic" at all.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Fallen Angels is the most surprising for me, didn't expect it to be this good. Biggest disappointment is Excalibur, it's not clicking for me.

I'm surprised woth X-force.

X-men have been dissapointing on writing and art.

Excalibur 2nd issue is awful, but the first issue was good

Fallen angels I had some expectative, but the characterization is off

Biggest surprise: Fallen Angels. Didn’t care much for it at the time it was announced cause Rosenberg and Brisson wrote WiFi like ****. But it’s tied for New Mutants as the best Dawn of X title for me and I’ve really been enjoying the new narrative arcs that logically make sense for these characters now that they’ve entered an era of relative peace.

Biggest Disappointment: I’m really enjoying all the DoX titles, but I think I like X-Force the least. Thought we were past the grimdark **** but a shooting on Krakoa, skinned Domino, and traumatized Colossus is exactly the sort of energy we got during the Decimation and Terrigen eras. The art’s good and the issue for the second issue looks promising, though.

BANNED

Closest thing to a disappointment is Excalibur. Bad dialogue, bland coloring, the script just doesn't click and I expected actually enjoying it. A shame.
    The rest is within my expectations. X-Force is the good book for the edgelord teenage within all of us. Fallen Angels is the bad book for that same edgy teen. New Mutants and Marauders are the charm champions. X-Men is good, but Yu needs to go permanently or long enough to improve his art, since we already know he's coming back in february.