Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like it. I've said it before that horror is Tynion's strength and I like how the death of Alfred affects him in other things other than sad anger... Sanger? The change in wardrobe is a nice touch. It's the little things.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I don't understand how they can be public without everyone knowing he's Batman though. Because doesn't everyone know she's Catwoman? And that Batman and Catwoman are together? That's a pretty easy 2 + 2
    I figure they will just handwave it. I mean, people should have figured out Bruce was Batman a long time ago.

I hope this means what I think it means. That Batman is gonna be just a book about Batman doing Batman ****. Cause that would be awesome!
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

I haven't been around the forum much lately and was about to ask if the next Batman writer had been announced. And here we go!

Hm. I've always found Tynion a competent but uninspired writer. His Detective didn't hold me for long. As a near-rabid King fan, I'm not very interested. But if he's going to give the core fans (many of them apparently King-haters) what makes them happy, that's fine. Between Snyder and then King, I've had an eight-year run of what I thought was really exciting Batman with a distinctive voice (well, two of them), so who am I to complain?

That said, I'm kinda hoping this is a short, transitional run before it goes to someone more interesting. [insert boilerplate "they should give it to Priest" comment here] [insert boilerplate "maybe they'll give Priest Detective" comment here]
    Last edited by Yohei72; 11-22-2019 at 08:43 PM.

I don't understand how they can be public without everyone knowing he's Batman though. Because doesn't everyone know she's Catwoman? And that Batman and Catwoman are together? That's a pretty easy 2 + 2
    Do Gothamites know that Batman and Catwoman are romantically a thing? Always assumed their outlook on her was that she was just one of the Rogues.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Do Gothamites know that Batman and Catwoman are romantically a thing? Always assumed their outlook on her was that she was just one of the Rogues.
    Gothamites no, the rogues yes. Some of them at least.

Incredible Member

Everyone seemed to know they were getting married.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I hope this means what I think it means. That Batman is gonna be just a book about Batman doing Batman ****. Cause that would be awesome!
    We can only hope...

They're doing basically the same thing in the Superman books right now. Essentially the general public just views Lois as cheating on Clark with Superman.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

And that is one the most stupid thing a writer could write; ah yeah: Bendis…
    I mean Clark Kent is the hero of the comic and what does the writer do? He makes him the laughing stock of Metropolis.
    Maybe I am too much strict, but I think a writer should know there are things he shouldn't do and one of these (at least for me) is just ridicule the hero of the comic.
    Last edited by Gotham citizen; 11-23-2019 at 09:29 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    They're doing basically the same thing in the Superman books right now. Essentially the general public just views Lois as cheating on Clark with Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    And that is one the most stupid thing a writer could write; ah yeah: Bendis…
    I mean Clark Kent is the hero of the comic and what does the writer do? He makes him the laughing stock of Metropolis.
    Maybe I am too much strict, but I think a writer should know there are things he shouldn't do and one of these (at least for me) is just ridicule the hero of the comic.
    I think they are trying the MCU method of no one really caring about secret identities

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Actually it is the X-men method: since the Giant Size X-men 1 most of them don't use masks and often they also declared publicly to be mutants and member of the Avengers (like Beast in X-Factor 1/1986), but nobody knew their secret identities.

facepalm-statue-paris-260nw-1019362615.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I think they are trying the MCU method of no one really caring about secret identities
    Or writers just don't want to go to the trouble of dealing with the nitty and gritty elements...although Tynion seems like the type who would.

Incredible Member

I would love for Tynion to present a pretty well thought-out explanation for the cover Bruce and Selina have concocted.

Maybe Catwoman will somehow fake going back to the underworld as a spy for Batman, creating some distance between their alter-egoes, so it's not Bat&Cat fighting crime side-by-side, then being Bruce & Selina side-by-side. Maybe not but if they're both wearing black, day and night, just their height/weight/profile makes it obvious. It'd be like if Bruce's ward Dick Grayson was always wearing a red shirt and no pants in his civilian life. Or if Superman wore glasses. If Bruce was really about disguising his alter ego, he should be dressing like the complete opposite of Batman in his daily life, being a complete fop and dressed like Austin Powers.

Personally I like it when Bruce is more obviously connected to Batman... I thought Morrison going the almost-Stark route with Batman Inc was a pretty clever way to unify the character's focus, and also provide a fun misdirect for Gotham citizens.... so I like this element of Tynion's pitch, and I'm curious to see how it's executed!

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

So the Catwoman Twitter page is urging BatCat fans and followers to not support this run until DC and Tynion show some respect [not sure what that means. Couldn't be bothered reading multiple tweets].

They also advised followers not to fall for Tynion's recent pitch stating that his run will feature BatCat claiming it's a lure to retain Batcat fans who have made the Batman title DC top selling solo title in Rebirth.

Looks like Tynion better up his Batcat game. I Think. Not sure what the heck is going on but I'm sure somewhere @dietrich's got the popcorn out

https://twitter.com/CatwomanGoddess