Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    There's another excerpt from Tynion's Batman document pitch in the second issue of his newsletter which went out today. It focuses on his ideas for Gotham City itself and the GCPD. He's implied the overall document/pitch is very large so I wouldn't make any final conclusions based on the small excerpt he put in the first newsletter (or even from the bits from the second) as they seem to be just scratching the surface of the overall document.

-M
    His analysis of Gotham is brilliant and shows he gets the appeal of DC’s fake cities. They’re not real which means you can give them an architecture and culture that’s completely unrealistic but extremely interesting to read and write about. Also like how he’s having Gotham go through it’s own Rebirth Post-Bane.

Commissioner Bullock, here we come .

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think Tynion has a fine pitch, emphasizing the scary nature of Batman (on top of the horror element, an element Snyder already has re-emphasized).

But just like Snyder had to prove himself to me with stories like Black Mirror and Court of Owls, etc, so too will Tynion have to prove himself with the stories themselves (visions only counts for so much).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

I like the idea of Batman being, on some level at least, a horror comic. In fact, the earliest Kane/Finger stories were littered with horror elements - the Mad Monk, hallucinogenic flowers, Hugo Strange's Monster Men, and probably a few other examples I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If you are trying to lure and keep subscribers, you lead with something juicy but you save the best stuff for later as a payoff.

-M
    If hollywood is any example, rarely are the best parts left out of their trailers. Rarer still is saving their best moments for later trailers. Viewership goes down trailer to trailer, so they have to use their best bits in the first trailer to ensure the effectiveness of the hook. So, when I seem worried about the absence of certain beats, I believe I have good reason for it. However, I remain cautiously optimistic nonetheless.

All-New Member

Most of this stuff is good. But there is one element that sounds misguided. Batman is supposed to be a figure of mythical terror to Gotham's criminals. But they can't be afraid of him all the time. Then there won't be any dramatic tension. There need to be moments when the villains really believe that they will triumph over the hero, or else seeing them humbled is pointless. Also, he left out an important element. Batman is the detective in Detective Comics. It isn't enough for him to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked. He also needs to discover them, decipher their schemes, and expose them to the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorintien View Post
    Most of this stuff is good. But there is one element that sounds misguided. Batman is supposed to be a figure of mythical terror to Gotham's criminals. But they can't be afraid of him all the time. Then there won't be any dramatic tension. There need to be moments when the villains really believe that they will triumph over the hero, or else seeing them humbled is pointless. Also, he left out an important element. Batman is the detective in Detective Comics. It isn't enough for him to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked. He also needs to discover them, decipher their schemes, and expose them to the authorities.
    Look at Scarecrow. He honestly thinks he understands fear better then Batman does...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Look at Scarecrow. He honestly thinks he understands fear better then Batman does...
    Has it ever been canonically stated who understands fear better between the two of them? I know that Batman always wins. But Batman has other advantages: Like being a martial arts master and having billions of dollars at his disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorintien View Post
    Has it ever been canonically stated who understands fear better between the two of them? I know that Batman always wins. But Batman has other advantages: Like being a martial arts master and having billions of dollars at his disposal.
    Well, for Crane it's a profession so I think he's probably studied it more, but Bruce probably knows enough instinctually about what it takes to put the fear in someone.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Tynion's latest newsletter shared the last part of his batman pitch he is willing to share that won't go into spoiler territory, it details Lucius Fox's role and how he will try to fill in Alfred's role. Also seems to possibly to tease 5G and Luke at the end?

"Batman has had one hell of a year. The Batman Who Laughs destroyed the Wayne Enterprises building. Bane managed to take control of Arkham, Wayne Manor, and The Batcave. Every core system of technology that Batman uses day-to-day has been compromised and needs to be reimagined from the ground up.

The brain behind this rebuild is Lucius Fox.

Lucius is the CEO of Wayne Enterprises, and is a technical engineering marvel. For the last few years, Lucius has been pushed to focus on improving and maintaining Batman’s existing systems, but after City of Bane, he was given the go-ahead to pull out all of his most experimental technology concepts and bring them all to life. He enjoys building non-lethal weapons technology for Batman, and has grown to appreciate Bruce’s flair for the dramatic. He’s been dreaming up new Batwings and Batmobiles for months.

Lucius operates out of the new Wayne Enterprises campus on the former Tricorner Yards (old city docks). This new center of the Wayne Enterprises global empire has more built-in R&D space than any previous iteration. Unbeknownst to the thousands who work on the campus every day, there is a giant R&D lab and automated factory hidden beneath the public building. Lucius can design new technology from his office computer, and the automated machines start building it, so he can test it. There is also an industrial furnace he uses to dispose of impractical Batmobiles and Gadgets.

Lucius has also started to operate as Batman’s operations person, filling the role that was one served by Alfred. This has put considerable stress on the old man, who is not used to operating on three hours sleep a night. But he believes in the mission of Batman, and the new city that’s growing beneath their feet. His son, Luke Fox, is worried about his dad’s new night job, and the ways in which it’s keeping him from his family and affecting his health. He knows what working close to Batman can do to a person, and he sees the death of Alfred as a clear warning of what might be in store for his father. Luke wants him to retire, but Lucius will only consider it if his son takes on his mantle. There needs to be a Batman and Batman needs help.

The first arc of the 2020 Batman Run will introduce brand new versions of key Batman Gadgets/Vehicles, with one highlighted in every issue."

I know Tynion would remember Lucius .

Yeah, I do wonder if this is to setup Luke becoming Batman's tech support so he and Bruce become close enough to where Bruce might feel comfortable leaving him the Batman identity.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I do wonder if this is to setup Luke becoming Batman's tech support so he and Bruce become close enough to where Bruce might feel comfortable leaving him the Batman identity.
    Interestingly enough, the backstory of the current Batwoman series has Luke Fox taking over his father's mantle as Batman's tech support.

Incredible Member

I was pleased to see Tunion remember both Lucius and Luke too (it will be fun to explore their bond as they both operate with Bruce). I like both characters so look forward to seeing what Tynion does with both of them

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Interestingly enough, the backstory of the current Batwoman series has Luke Fox taking over his father's mantle as Batman's tech support.
    S-s-s-synergy .

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I was pleased to see Tunion remember both Lucius and Luke too (it will be fun to explore their bond as they both operate with Bruce). I like both characters so look forward to seeing what Tynion does with both of them
    Hooray, I'm not the only one!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord